Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend just informed me that 7.62x39 ammo (like Russian made) is not consistent and can be as big as 12.65x39 which he claims can blow up your firearm.
Has anyone else heard of this? I have serious questions since it should also cause trouble in the AK-47. I have shot about 250 rounds in the AK before I sold it to by my mini 30 (which I really love!).

I would especially like to hear from the Ruger people.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Your rifle is chambered for 7.62X39 ammo, although Ruger varied from European standards when they designed it. Normally, the groove diameter of Euro 7.62X39 barrels runs .310", sometimes a bit larger - especially on military weapons. Ruger went with the American standard of .308" for their barrels, probably as a cost-saving measure since .308 barrels are more easily sourced. Most ammo in this caliber uses bullets of .310". The .002" difference typically will not cause any issues, unless the ammo you're using is loaded to abnormally high pressures. I am confident that if Ruger felt that using the smaller bore barrel represented a serious liability, that they would not have done so.

Some Russian or Eastern Bloc ammo is of extremely poor quality, and can vary significantly from lot to lot. One reason why it is wise to test small quantities of it, and then stock up if you find a lot that performs well in your rifle(s).

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Your rifle is chambered for 7.62X39 ammo, although Ruger varied from European standards when they designed it. Normally, the groove diameter of Euro 7.62X39 barrels runs .310", sometimes a bit larger - especially on military weapons. Ruger went with the American standard of .308" for their barrels, probably as a cost-saving measure since .308 barrels are more easily sourced. Most ammo in this caliber uses bullets of .310". The .002" difference typically will not cause any issues, unless the ammo you're using is loaded to abnormally high pressures. I am confident that if Ruger felt that using the smaller bore barrel represented a serious liability, that they would not have done so.

Some Russian or Eastern Bloc ammo is of extremely poor quality, and can vary significantly from lot to lot. One reason why it is wise to test small quantities of it, and then stock up if you find a lot that performs well in your rifle(s).

Yes, initially Ruger made the mini 30 with a .308 diameter barrel, but in 1992 (forgive me if I am off a year or two) Ruger made the switch to .311 diameter.

Personally, there is a lot of questionable ammo out there for the 7.62x39. I personally only shoot brass cased (99.9% of the time my reloads on Hornady brass) ammo in mine and have never had a problem. If you are going to shoot steel cases ammo, stick with the better brands of steel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
The bore diameter on the 7.62x39 is .310!, not .311. Ruger switched from .308 to .310 in the summer of 1990. Proper bullet diameter for the 7.62x39 is .311/.312, You can handload .308’s in the mini but accuracy is hit or miss.

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
I would not worry but if you donpay a bit more and get us made ammo and there will be no problems. I use russian commercial ammo as well as us made ammo. I do not use surplus ammo to avoid problems.

·
Registered
612 Posts
"A friend just informed me that 7.62x39 ammo (like Russian made) is not consistent and can be as big as 12.65x39 which he claims can blow up your firearm."

12.65x39???

Get another friend.

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,554 Posts
"A friend just informed me that 7.62x39 ammo (like Russian made) is not consistent and can be as big as 12.65x39 which he claims can blow up your firearm."

12.65x39???

Get another friend.
Gotta watch ou for that 12.65x39 round! It sounds deadly. I saw on YouTube where it shoots 800gr bullets at 250fps.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Personally, I don't use the cheap foreign made ammo. Less chance of a problem.

I don't have a problem with IMI or Fiocchi, as the quality is good. But then they are not as cheap as the other foreign made either.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
A friend just informed me that 7.62x39 ammo (like Russian made) is not consistent and can be as big as 12.65x39 which he claims can blow up your firearm.
Has anyone else heard of this? I have serious questions since it should also cause trouble in the AK-47. I have shot about 250 rounds in the AK before I sold it to by my mini 30 (which I really love!).

I would especially like to hear from the Ruger people.
Your friend is an idiot, find another friend.
Do you, a self proclaimed NRA Training Counselor and NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, believe a 12.65MM (.50 caliber, more or less) round would even chamber in a Mini-30 with a .310 (.30 caliber, more or less) bore ?

You must be really bored to even start a thread like this.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think the 12 was a typo.
I shoot steel case (usually Wolf) in mine about 75% of the time. I've never had any issues.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I use both Wolf steel case and various brands of brass. Herters, Remington, PPC. Mine is a mid 1990's vintage and it shoots them all just fine. Accuracy varies and the Wolf does pretty good. My Mini 30 does much better when I keep the barrel from getting too hot. I zeroed my scope with 3 shot strings on a cold barrel. I trust it to deer hunt out to 100 yards. Many deer will vouch for its accuracy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts