Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the opportunity to buy a Single Six of which the serial number indicates a 1974 year of manufacture.

I am somewhat familiar with these as I have 2 22 convertible models. But this one is stumping me. It is marked ".22 cal." and accepts 22 WMR cartridges.

There is not an indication on the cylinder that it was a convertible gun (3 digit number).But unlike the magnum cylinders on the 22 mags I have, this cylinder is fluted like a regular 22 cylinder. Yet it accepts 22 WMR rounds. Magnum rounds will not fit in my "regular 22 " cylinders.

Did Ruger make 22 mag cylinders with fluting and why would the gun not be marked "22 WMR?"

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Ruger did make WMR cylinders that were fluted, and the frame was marked 22 Cal. I dont think it ever was marked 22 Long Rifle, or 22 WMR, but it was simply marked 22 Cal

·
Registered
264 Posts
Ruger made the early 22 fluted cylinder just as they did with the early 44mag. Colt Frontier Scouts designated caliber on their barrels. 22LR, 22Cal for mag convertible and 22Mag for magnum only and like above, with all Rugers only saying 22Cal on the frame.

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
1. Ruger continued to make fluted Mag cyls for the New Models thru 1976 and you'll find both fluted and non-fluted that year.

2. The 22 Mag only Single sixes (w/o adj sights), were stamped 22 Win Mag and only came with 6 1/2" barrels. Later the 6 1/2" model was offered as a convertible, in the ~800,000 serial range. They are no longer stamped .22 Mag on the frame, but the 6 1/2" model was still called the 22 magnum by Ruger, labeled on the box as such, and were all convertibles #RSSMX. The 22 LR cyl was considered the extra cyl.

3. You purchased a 22 convertible with a missing LR cyl. The #s marked on the fronts of the cyls are extremely hard to make out. If you check it out again, brush it clean, use magnification and good light.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts