Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have posted about another of my Ruger’s that was burned in my house this is rifle means a lot to me and I looking for a factory stock and a extremely talented gunsmith/Restoration amazingly it still shoots well and the Leopold vII 3x9 is clear and bright.
Looking for best man. If you’re out there please respond

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
wow that be a challenge while worthy resto so good luck in finding you gunsmith fixer,, some nice walnut and bluing she'll be good as new

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I disagree Sir .
Once I brush and cleaned the barrel it has a bright shining bore and it still shoots Dime size groups a 100yd

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
then even better will be your repair
my 77/22 is excellent too, i floated the barrel and tweaked trigger & plinks easy 1cm group hole 50 yards with 24 pwr scope but i not tried or tested it at 100 yards

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m sorry I’m just getting use to the site I see I thought you’re quote was about the rifle being burned.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
“Courage is Being scared to death!
But saddling up anyway”

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
then even better will be your repair
my 77/22 is excellent too, i floated the barrel and tweaked trigger & plinks easy 1cm group hole 50 yards with 24 pwr scope but i not tried or tested it at 100 yards
How do I add my own quote?

·
Registered
962 Posts
Oh man that has to hurt. I am sure Ruger might be able to restore it at a cost. Have you contacted them. Be cool if you can afford a Doug Turnbull restoration as that would be the path I'd take.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I’m sorry I’m just getting use to the site I see I thought you’re quote was about the rifle being burned.

that ok dear chap giday & welcome from down under & yes it can be tricky interrupting and replying in forum threads,, i look forward to see your finish rebuild..

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Ruger might have some concerns about the metal temper being affected and might suggest replacing it with another rifle. Worth contacting them though as having the factory refinish and come up with a replacement stock would be the less expensive way to go.

Myself, I'd just Cerakote the rifle in Sniper Grey or Graphite Black and order a new stock for it.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
I would imagine Ruger would be the best to handle this one .
Fire takes the temper out of metal and the hardness needs to be tested springs will need replacement and other items inspected and tested for safety concerns . They will have all the parts and have probably done this before .
I usually don't say "send it back to Ruger" ... but this time ...Send it back to Ruger !
Call them first and talk to them they will instruct you on how to ship it .
Gary

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
M77-74, something to consider .... If you send the gun to Ruger for their assessment, they might deem it unsafe and not send it back.

·
Banned
22 Posts
I'd be more worried about the action and then the bolt becoming "annealed" during that fire. It looks from here that the fire was quite intense where the magazine used to reside. Probably should get the action tested for hardness before spending any money on that rifle.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all your advice and information and input
Take into account it’s just a.22 and I’ve been shooting it as is I’ve put 500 rounds through it and I haven’t had any issues it did get hot enough to damage the Leopold V II and it held its site mark after brush and cleaned out the barrel.
There kind of rare it’s big brother in a stainless..22 Mag was a total loss 😭

·
Registered
160 Posts
Consider also that since Ruger has discontinued the whole line of 77/22s that
they might not have the tooling or werewithall to attempt a restoration at all.
I'd hate to get an RAR in 22lr or Mag instead of my own rifle back.

Reactions: [email protected]
1 - 17 of 17 Posts