Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am currently reloading for my 77/22 Hornet. What is the maximum OAL that will function in the rotary magazine? I remember reading it in a post but can't find the thread. Also, what are some of the more accurate bullet weight recommendations? Currently loading 12.5 grains of Lil' Gun, 40 grain Sierra SP and CCI small pistol primers.

Thanks, Erik

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I don't know by numeric dimension the max OAL I just seat the bullet 'til it fits! I have no unfired rounds.

I'm loading Sierra 45 gr. Hornet bullets for mine and use either H110 or H4227 as the Li'l gun didn't prove to be accurate. I am, however going to re try it in my No.1.

The Li'l gun does work well in my .218 Bee with 40 gr. Noslers.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am currently reloading for my 77/22 Hornet. What is the maximum OAL that will function in the rotary magazine? I remember reading it in a post but can't find the thread. Also, what are some of the more accurate bullet weight recommendations? Currently loading 12.5 grains of Lil' Gun, 40 grain Sierra SP and CCI small pistol primers.

Thanks, Erik
The maximum OAL on my Ruger Hornet is limited by the magazine at 1.80".

Mine likes the Hornady 45 grain Hornet bullet with a light crimp, a bit of Lil Gun and kicked off by a CCI 500 primer.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. Will be picking up some 45 grain bullets. I will put a light crimp on as well.

Erik

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
This is just strictly an opinion, but about the BEST thing you can do for your Hornet, is to have the chamber reamed to a K-Hornet. Not only does it seem to be quite a bit more accurate, it will substantially increase case life. Hornet ammo CAN be tricky to load and not kill brass fairly often. The K-Hornet reduces that.............Also, I have found that firing my existing Hornet loads, in a K-Hornet chamber, to fire form brass, during the fire forming, the ammo was as accurate as it ever was in the standard Hornet chamber. I have owned several Hornets over the years, that were all reamed. Some of my brass has 30 firings and many are lucky to get 4 from a standard Hornet

1 - 6 of 6 Posts