Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not seen any reviews on this rifle and would like to have my opinion. At 50 yards it leaves one ragged hole with me shooting off of bags. At 100 yards with a uploadfromtaptalk1440994821449.jpg warming barrel the holes opened up and dropped a bit, but I'm shooting the 40 gainers so there will be a bit of drop. I topped it with a used nikon scope from gun broker and so far so good. The silvers really didn't match up, but this is how it is for now. uploadfromtaptalk1440994654913.jpg

·
Banned
650 Posts
I wouldn't call that stringing. It looks like he needs to make better use of his sling. I hope you enjoy your rifle. Just pick around you will find ammo that your rifle really likes. I haven't seen many 22 magnums that really like 30 gr hyper velocity ammo but I am certain there are a few.

I have a Marlin XT22MR with a Simmons Master Series 3-9x40 scope on it. The Master Series line of scopes are Simmons top of the line scopes made by Meade Labs right here in the USA. With Remington 40 gr PSP ammo I can hit the H on a 12 ga Honady shotgun shell most of the time. It took a long time to break in the Micro groove barrel on the Remlin. When I first got the rifle I wasn't happy at all. Finally I got a three boxes of the CCI Troy Landry Chootem ammo. By the time I shot the first box (200 rounds) the rifle really settled in.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
22mag will do that,, finding the ammo that best suits your rifle to tighten up 100 POI may take some time tho you'll enjoy the journey,, oh look under the barrel see if can float it off any stock wood but careful the 77 design don't make floating easy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm sorry. The picture uploaded 90 degrees to the left. These were the first 15 shots from the rifle I'm referring to. Still in the break in process

·
Banned
650 Posts
You are battling the same problem I faced when I got my rifle. Ammo was really scarce but we were only a few months into the shortage when I got my rifle. I thought the shortage was going to end soon. The FFL where I picked up my gun had plenty of 22 mag. I bought six boxes of ammo the day I picked up my rifle. I went back a few days later to see if he had any other brands of 22 mag. He had two boxes of the CCI game points left and said all his orders had been back ordered. I did eventually get ammo but it took a few months to get ammo without getting gouged.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Looks like stringing to me as well and he plainly says he is shooting from bags. While 22Mags are not prone to be tack drivers, that grouping is pretty bad. I suspect two things. First, we all know that factory Ruger trigger is pure junk, it will need some work. Second the barrel channel likely needs some relieving.

I have a 77/22 in a magnum and the two above changes were required on mine before it shot anything close to consistent

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can and did get a better group, but this was the only picture that was taken. I sighted it in for alligator season. I will give a better review for the nay sayers. The trigger is a little hard. It's new, it will be a working process.

·
Banned
650 Posts
I did away with the adjustable trigger on my rifle. I just cut a coil off the trigger spring. Cutting a coil off the trigger spring gives me about a 4 lb trigger. 4 lb is perfect for shooting unsupported or from an improvised rest. The Marlin adjustable trigger is way to fragile. Give it a blast of canned lithium grease or canned air and the sear jumps out of place. Leaving the gun unusable.

·
Banned
650 Posts
Good job! It is hard to beat a 22 mag for killing gators. Once you get some confidence in the rifle it will shoot better. A boat full of gators is a good confidence builder. Once you have the rifle shooting decent on paper shoot some small targets, plastic golf balls, fishing corks anything you can find. Shooting 3d targets are a lot easier than shooting paper.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
We just picked a blue 7722 in 22 mag, NIB, at a gun show via a trade. Wasn't expecting the Ruger to keep up with our CZ 22 mag rifles, but I was delightfully surprised to discover that it did. With the pointy Hornady V Max 22 mag ammo, it shoots one hole groups at 50 yards, even with the heavy stock trigger (will be changing that, soon.) Only one session, so far, but will be doing more work with the gun at 100 yards, soon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts