Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am new to the forum and have a questions for all you wily vets. I just purchased a used 77/22 in .22 lr, it is the older version, walnut stock, blue barrel with factory sights. I am trying to decide if I should take it to the gunsmith and have him trim the barrel down (removing the sight near the muzzle) and re-crown it, or taking that barrel off, selling it and buying a barrel like the green mountain fluted blue barrel that I can put in the same stock. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
382 Posts
If it were mine, I'd get the new barrel. If you have it cut, re-crowned, and a new sight installed, it won't be as saleable compaired to having a new barrel, especially if you keep the old barrel with it. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Rebarrel

I rebarreled mine early this year looked at the Green Mountian but spent alittle more and got the Shilen factorty contour, I couldn't be more happy with the way she shoots!!!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I am trying to decide if I should take it to the gunsmith and have him trim the barrel down (removing the sight near the muzzle) and re-crown it, or taking that barrel off, selling it and buying a barrel like the green mountain fluted blue barrel that I can put in the same stock.
I would take the barrel off, put it in the closet, and buy the blued fluted barrel from GM. There are fans for all sorts of products, including barrels. Check the reviews for barrels in Midway and Brownells. It's pretty clear when you look through lots of them.

Cutting and re-crowning will likely cost as much as a new barrel, and in the end you will have a mediocre barrel for a lot of money. Used .22 barrels are not big sellers. You might as well keep it as sell it.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Have you shot the gun yet? I would give the factory barrel a shot first (pun intended), you did not say what you planed to do with the gun so,,,I also would take the barrel off and store it for latter if you do decide to get a new one.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I'm faced with the same problem issue as well. I bought a used 77/22 and mine has the sight(I don't like), so now I trying to decide on either the GM 20 inch or the Shilen, or the Clark.:confused:

Would love to see some groups with either.:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.