Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all. I have an ancient and much-loved 77-22 that I bought in about 1984 at half-price from a sporting goods store that was going out of business in Santa Barbara, California. $160! With 4 little kids, my wife nearly had a heart attack. Great service and accuracy since day one!:)

So, I had the idea to replace the exractor and striker spring, which I looked at one day while cleaning the rifle, and it appeared brownish....maybe even rusty! :eek:

Passing strange, because we have lived in low-humidity locations since It was new, and no other place even hints at rust!

so, I called Ruger, with the idea of replacing the extractor and striker spring, to insure another 30+ years of excellent service for the grandkid who inherits it. But, NO; the extractor is a factory-installed part, per the young lady on the phone. Why couldn't they do it like the 10-22? Not only that, they require the whole rifle, not just the bolt!

When she heard what I have, she remarked; "Oh, my, I don' t think we even have parts for that old a rifle!":confused: But, she said brightly, "Just send it in, and we will see...If we can't repair it, we will give you a very generous discount on a brand-new rifle!'

I don't really want a new rifle...this one is just fine the way it is!:cool:

Long story longer, I have tried Brownell's, and the extractor they list is for the .22 Hornet, and won't work. Numrich says that part is sold out.

Does anyone know where I might buy a new extractor?
Thank you.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,044 Posts
flyboy61, FYI .... Extractors are heat treated at the factory which makes them hard and can make them turn a funky color. As long as the rifle feeds, extracts, and ejects properly .... I wouldn't worry about color.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts