Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a 77/357 for quite some time. I recently bought an H&R Handi Rifle chambered for .357 Maximum. I decided that I really like the cartridge and had what may be a hairbrained Idea. I wonder if anyone has rechambered a 77/357 for .357 Max. I believe that Ruger uses the same action for .44 Remington Magnum, so I think that it would handle the .357 Max too.

I realize that it would only work as a single shot with the .357 Max, but it would be backed up with 5 rounds of .357 Magnum. Any thoughts or comments?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've seen that question come up in the past. I think the consensus was that it would really play heck with your accuracy in 357 magnum because of the distance to the rifling. I probably didn't say that correctly but you know what I mean. I think it's called freebore but I'm usually wrong..

·
Registered
130 Posts
There are loads that would be safe in the rifle that would be darn close to the maximum. I would do that before reaming out the chamber. As in never use them in the revolver.

Edited to say. I would see how accurate you can get it with the current chamber before touching it. Most 357 rifles can add 400-500fps with just factory ammo. That should be plenty of power for anything on this continent.

·
Registered
744 Posts
It’s been done and the accuracy wasn’t great per the person that did it. I also know another person tried it with a Henry Single Shot. It was for sale a few weeks ago on Gunbroker.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It’s been done and the accuracy wasn’t great per the person that did it. I also know another person tried it with a Henry Single Shot. It was for sale a few weeks ago on Gunbroker.
Well then, I think that I will leave the Ruger alone and stick with the H&R for .357 Max. I will note, however, that the H&R shoots .38 Special and .357 Magnum very well. .38 Special loaded with 158 grain cast truncated cone bullets over 4 gr. IMR 700X gives me 1045 fps. I get around 1.25” 5 shot groups at 50 yards, depending on how well I am shooting. .357 Magnum accuracy is very good as well. The .357 Maximum loads aren’t any more accurate, but no worse.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Many people were converting their Handi Rifles to 357 Maximum in the early 2010s and there were many threads on this around 2015. One piece of advice was to contact a shop that specializes in Contenders. You want to make sure it is cut right, but in the Handi Rifle it seems people made it work, but you always have to balance that with how good the gun you want to modify is, before you modify it. Some projects work out others do not.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts