Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago I picked up a Ruger 77/357, I've always had a sweet spot for pistol caliber carbines. Out of the box the rifle is finished very nicely, my only grip would be the trigger, it's a bit heavy. Ordered a Volquartsen sear and spring kit for $36 and installed it, now it's a very nice clean breaking trigger. Yesterday I got a chance to shoot it for the first time, to say the least I was impressed. I only shot it with the factory installed sights and it was pretty much dead on at 50yds. 25 rounds of 38's and 25 of 357's and it functions and feeds just fine. The mag was slightly sticky coming out but it's getting better as the rifle is still breaking in. It came with a nice set of ruger rings but I like shooting with iron sights so no scope is getting mounted just yet. I was averaging a 2" group at 50yds just off a front rest, my poor skills are what's lacking here as the rifle is a way better shooter than I am. All in all I'm very pleased with this rifle, she's a keeper.

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
Those are nice rifles. I've been pondering a rifle in 357. I like that if can reload for it and share ammunition with revolvers.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Love mine too. Same with the VQ trigger. Breaks like glass. I love to carry this rifle. So short and light.
Only beef I have is the non floated barrel. Why do they make the factory stock so tight?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You could most likely sand the barrel channel in the stock and open it up a bit. I was thinking about doing that to mine. It wouldn't take much to open it up.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I really like the 77/357. I had the 77/44 for years, and liked it, so I got the 77/357 last year. I put a scope on mine, and sighted it in for 100 yards, with 158 grain FMJ, for coyote punching.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Have any of y'all tried the 180 grain Buffalo Bore ammo... they're lead cast, so they may not function well???

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All I've ever tried is the 158 grain, do the heavier bullets shoot better accuracy wise? Also anyone here used the bolt shims, and has it made the rifle shoot better?

·
Registered
197 Posts
I can only speak for myself. I tried the factory Fiocchi shooting Hornady 158gr XTP bullets. I was getting 2-3" groups with those. I tried the 200 gr and my groups tightened up to 1". I haven't tried others.
Seems like most people have good success with the 158s. Mine did not like them.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The 77/357 is, IMHO, a great little rifle. Like TenMan, I use mine for Coyote hunting. I use 158 gr. XTP over 19.0 gr IMR-4227, which produces around 2000 fps. The rifle is perfectly capable of popping a ground squirrel at 100 yards, to be sure all the accuracy I could ask such a rifle. It sure is cheap to reload with hard cast bullets, and is fun to shoot.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I've been pondering a rifle in 357. I like that if can reload for it and share ammunition with revolvers.
I own and shoot several rifles from .223 to .35 Whelen. The .357 is my favorite round, and I own five firearms so chambered. They will all shoot the same ammo, but what works best in my 77/357, is mean as a angry badger in my SP101. My GP/6" and three screw BH/6.5" are fine with the same ammo, but large quantities of jacketed bullets over max loads of W296 are less than economical. The best cast loads really don't shoot that well in my carbine. Cases fired in my 4 5/8" BH will not chamber in my carbine or SP101 when reloaded.

So much for my dream. :)

You could most likely sand the barrel channel in the stock and open it up a bit.
My 77/44 and 77/357 both came home with severe cases of vertical stringing as the barrel warmed up. I used a fine grit sand paper on the barrel channel, and gently removed material from the channel until the groups became round. I also cleaned the barrel to the metal after each range session, until the tight spots and snags were gone, using JB Bore paste.

Both carbines average 2" for five shots at 100yds with handloads, medium to heavy bullets, and lots of W296 or 2400.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts