Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! On 10/24 I swung into my LGS to check out the 77/357. As usual, when I go in there to "check something out," something always comes home with me. As per my hunting conditions I have always used my trusty Remington 870 slug gun. As of last year, new legislation in my area has now allowed for these types of firearms to be used.This rifle piqued my interest along with the 77/44. I opted for the .357 mainly because I have plenty of rounds stocked up already vs. zero of .44 and would be spending the additional to sight in and find a happy hunting round. Also, I liked the wider versatility of the .357 cartridge. Anyway, it was getting crunch time after my purchase, had to mount my Leupold Rifleman, get it zeroed, and hit the woods by Nov15. I had so much fun getting this thing sighted in that I didn't want to quit shooting for the day! What a sweet little rifle! Surprisingly, after a few different brands of ammo,(I don't reload.......yet!) I found the ol cheapo PMC 158 gr. JSP made my rifle quite happy so I stuck with those. Granted, where I hunt there is at maximum an 80 yd. shot, and given my sight in location, I was zeroed at about 60 yd.Well, this boy presented himself at about 20 yd. Successful on opening morning, shoulder shot. Dropped like a sack of bricks, had to finish off to end suffering. Double header, first time out with new gun, and...... first buck!!!!! Nice, pretty 7pt.

Attachments

·
Registered
186 Posts
Very interesting. I feel fortunate to be able to use rifles where I hunt and have always moved towards the common deer calibers. After learning more about firearms I have come to realize that a .44 or .357 can be very effective. I would love to give one of those a go through a rifle.

Congrats on the new rifle and a great opener. Thats a great deer.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Biggred! I researched a lot on this little rifle, watched a bunch of vids. When I saw that .357 round smacking the CRAP out of a steel plate at 100 yd. through this rifle, I was convinced! I thought, 'what the h........" Worth a try, if anything, it'll be fun!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If a 357 revolver will take a deer a rifle will add velocity and stretch range or improve velocity.
My exact thinking, more punch, reach out better, controllability, way less recoil.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
Sweet!

·
Registered
205 Posts
I live in the mitten, too. Happy with the new rules. By the way, there are loads for the 357 in a rifle that hit low-end 30/30 figures at safe pressures. Sure, the 44/77 would be more of a good thing, but the 357 becomes a real deer caliber in a rifle. You made a good choice, and the meat in your freezer is proof. Congratulations!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have always wanted one, they are just a bit pricey for me. My LGS quoted me a price of 650 for a NIB 77/357 so I ordered it. I should have it in about a week. I have a Volquartsen sear and spring on the way, and I have a skinner rear peep sight in my parts box for it also. Anyone have any suggestions for what factory ammo that works best in this rifle, 38 and 357.

·
Super Moderator
22,137 Posts
Good looking 7 pointer, congrats on a nice buck.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts