Ruger Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been considering a 77/44. Most of my rifles are black synthetic w/SS barrels but I do love wood and blue. There are some "NIB" new/old stock wood and blue 77/44s out there for around the same money as a new synthetic/SS version. Is there anything about the old vs new I should know? Or does it come down to which flavor you like best? I know the wood stock versions aren't all that old but they're not on the current website so I don't know if there's any difference beside the the finishes. Thanks.

Wave

·
Banned
181 Posts
While reading about the 77/357 on various websites, I've seen some people claiming two things for both the 77/44 and the 77/357.

Check the trigger if at all possible. There are a lot of claims of trigger problems (too heavy, stage-y, spongey, you name it). As far as how true that really is, I honestly don't know. My 77/357's trigger is fantastic as far as I'm concerned, but what is fantastic to me might be absolutely horrid to another.

The next one claim is a tough one to check before you buy, and that is that some of them just aren't accurate. Again, as with the other claim, I don't know whether it's the shooter or the weapon and I'm not about to open that can of worms, so all I'll say is that my new in box 2011 produced 77/357 I got recently is utterly accurate, with both bulk and high quality/pressure ammo as far as I'm concerned. To be completely forthright though, I only use iron sights, so clover leaf groupings at 100yds every time is not a criteria for me.

Outside of that, I've actually not come across any magazine problems or complaints for the 77/44, unlike the 77/357, so there's a plus!

And if I may be so bold, go for the stainless G-1 Vista camo pattern one!!

Barring that get the stainless and synthetic stock. Three reasons for doing so; first being the ease of maintenance, second being that it looks better and third being that the walnut stock can be bought separately and put on while retaining the beauty and ease of stainless steel.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same here Revoliver. My 77/357 is one of those guns I bought and didn't even know I wanted it. Accuracy is very good - Hornady leverevolution best - 1 1/2 in at 100 yds. trigger heavy, but crisp. Great truck gun - haven't tried it on hogs yet, but should handle them out to 75 yds or so.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Waveform, it is up to your preference although I think the older models are better assembled.
I prefer blue and wood but I also like stainless and wood if I have a choice.
There are people here that can help if you have a problem.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I bought a 77/44 a couple weeks ago and it is being delivered tonight or tomorrow (thanks to tracking on line). It is SS with silver rings and a black synthetic stock. I have a Boyds Laminate Thumbhole Stock in Pepper Grey waiting for it and a silver Leupold scope on another gun also waiting to transfer. I picked up a spare magazine recently to add to the one in the gun.
I want to do some before and after photos on this job. Then it will become (hopefully) MY Pig Gun. I say hopefully because my wife snatched my Ruger 44 mag Carbine, and after she got her hog last month, it became HER gun.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is harder than it seems for me...or I'm making it harder than it ought to. I've always preferred synthetic stocks and stainless barrels for hunting because I live and hunt in a wet, humid sub-tropical climate and also because guns with these finishes are often (not always) less expensive than the wood and blue alternatives. I love the look and feel of wood and blue but appreciate the practicality of synthetic and SS. Now here's the same gun I can buy either way for pretty much the same money and it sounds like they are pretty much identical except for finishes. Part of me says walnut should cost a lot more than plastic but that doesn't seem to be the case these days.

It's a chocolate or vanilla kind of thing I guess.

Maybe what I really long for is the old Ruger Deerfield 44 Mag Carbine........

Wave

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Got my new in the box 77/44 home a short time ago. Too tired to shoot before and after photos tonight. Look here in the morning.
Al

·
Registered
70 Posts
i have a mk2 ss 3006 and i hate the stainless,its too shiney while hunting,and after 3 shots at the range it almost burns your hands touching the barrel and accurecy go crazy after that,i was told that stainess heats up faster.so i take 3 sgots and give it 10-15min to cool down

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i have a mk2 ss 3006 and i hate the stainless,its too shiney while hunting,and after 3 shots at the range it almost burns your hands touching the barrel and accurecy go crazy after that,i was told that stainess heats up faster.so i take 3 sgots and give it 10-15min to cool down
deerfieldredneck, you may have given me the nudge I needed. SS too shiny and too hot..... I'm leaning toward wood and blue. Maybe it's the deerfield (44 carbine) in you that I'm hearing.....

Wave

·
Banned
181 Posts
You should read up on the effects of heat on stainless steel and blued carbon steel. The stainless steel does not heat up any faster than blued carbon, and performs better while under high temperatures than carbon steel because as long as that temperature is under it's melting(?) point, it will only reharden as it cools again, further hardenning it overall.

This is all from memory though from debates on multiple forums, so take that for what you will.

Either way, your call, but I would read up on the differences betwen blued carbon and stainles steel more first at the very least.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
OK Here are the "Before" photos of my new Model 77/44 Carbine. Fresh out of the box.
It feels good, even with the synthetic stock. But the New Furniture and Optics are one the way.
Stay tuned to see how it looks after we get the 'Fancy Stuff in and added.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You should read up on the effects of heat on stainless steel and blued carbon steel. The stainless steel does not heat up any faster than blued carbon, and performs better while under high temperatures than carbon steel because as long as that temperature is under it's melting(?) point, it will only reharden as it cools again, further hardenning it overall.

This is all from memory though from debates on multiple forums, so take that for what you will.

Either way, your call, but I would read up on the differences betwen blued carbon and stainles steel more first at the very least.
I hear you Revoliver - all of my hunting rifles up to this point have been black synthetic stocks with a stainless finish (or WeatherShield finish in the case of the T/C Venture and ProHunters). The M77 Hawkeye I have has a Hogue stock and the matte "Hawkeye" finish SS so it's really not shiny. Looks a lot like the current 77/44. I do have a Savage 17HMR with a bull barrel that is shiny SS but it's a range toy. I'm not too concerned about heat because in the field you hope and pray you get to shoot at something and then it's likely you only get one shot.

I'm in no hurry and kinda stuck in "analysis paralysis". I like both versions for different reasons but leaning toward wood & blue at this point. Might just keep it open sights/no scope for a woods gun.

·
Registered
70 Posts
im just speaking from my experance,i own mk2 30-06,the heat part doesnt really bother unless i sighting in a new scope.ive shoot a few deer with it even a 206lb 9 pointer,but i would think the stainless would "pop" more in the woods,but its not bad if its a cloudy day,but in the sun and on a power line,its really shiney

·
Banned
181 Posts
Well then perhaps it is time for a change, go for the blued steel walnut stock version, it's not like it's a horrible second best or anything, if anything they're on par with each other, just different properties in regards to heat and maintenance.

I do understand where this is coming from though, and don't want to see the decision (whichever way it goes) lamented after the fact, as has happened to all of us I'm sure. I just don't want to see a perfectly good rifle that's got a different stock and finish go from being the 'finally' something different, a break from the monotony gun in the collection to the oddball ugly duckling that gets less and less affection as time marches on is all.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

None of my LGS has a 77/44 in stock so I've been looking at them online. Mayor Al's new 77/44 (upper photo) looks a lot shinier in the picture than I assumed based on the Ruger website photo (lower photo.) Maybe it's the flash on Al's camera but I wonder just how shiny is the stainless on a 77/44?

I have a M77 Hawkeye Alaskan (don't ask me why...) and the SS on it is very matte, almost frosted and gray in color. I thought the 77/44 was the same but maybe not?

Sorry for the lousy cellphone picture but the point is this was a very sunny day and the SS finish remained a dull gray color.

Wave

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Waveform,

I think the close proximity of the flash caused the "bright reaction" you see in the close up of the action. The gun finish is 'matte' not 'polished', but it certainly is not the Garands Parkerized battleship grey either.

Since I tend to be a blind or stand hunter, the disguise of cammo finish on a gun is not an issue I consider important. I will post better photos of the 77/44 when it's thumbhole stock and Leupold scope get mounted.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well....the winner is.......

Wood and blue!

Found a NIB 77/44 walnut & blue version for $580. Totals less than a new black & SS version plus they're not making the wood & blue version right now so opportunities on a new one are limited.

I figure I can always add the new black & SS version later on and lot easier than the other way around. Or perhaps a black & SS in .357.........

Wave

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.