Ruger Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought this very early rifle from an elder in Alaska who ordered it to shoot seals. By the time he got it they had outlawed seal hunting by non natives. Anyway, it sat in a safe for forty plus years. The stock has whitish stuff I have never seen in a stock before. Anybody have any idea what it is. I guess I will have to refinish it unless someone has a better idea. Thanks in advance.
Brown Wood Textile Floor Flooring

·
Registered
8,396 Posts
It’s kinda hard make out what you’ve got going on from the pic. Shoot some Balistol on it, it may not improve anything but it won’t hurt it either.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a Ruger 77 about the same age and my stock looks very good after rubbing with linseed oil. The factory finish took the oil well.

·
Administrator
22,781 Posts
+1 Wipe on a light coat of linseed oil and after a couple hours wipe off any excess and see how it looks. Repeat.

OBTW that is a fine looking rifle. What caliber?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
+1 Wipe on a light coat of linseed oil and after a couple hours wipe off any excess and see how it looks. Repeat.

OBTW that is a fine looking rifle. What caliber?
It is a 22-250. I have put a couple light coats of linseed oil on it. Will keep after it and see what happens after a half dozen coats or so. Thanks to all for the opinions........

·
Registered
27 Posts
Very nice! How is the stock coming? Id also tend to lean towards the wood being dried out a bit and for lack of a better term , oxidation or the finish breaking down with age.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Taking my time with the stock. Letting the second coat of linseed oil dry. Starting to look good. Will drop a pic after a few more coats

·
Registered
657 Posts
Looks like dried out wood to me.

Semper Fi
Paul
Exactly ! I’d use something that folks put on furniture. My wife uses Orange Glo for our oak cabinets and breakfast table.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts