Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought someone said they had installed an 8 shot cylinder in a six shooter, and I'm wondering if that is true and how well does it work? Also is that for new model guns only or will it work with the 3 screw old models as well????
Does it only work with 22 LR or will it work with 22WMR as well?
Thanks,
Gabby

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
Hi Gabby,

It is true. 8 shot .17, 22LR and 22 Mag cylinders for Ruger single sixes are made by after market gun parts companies like barrel makers, and sold by Midway USA, Brownells, etc. They are drop ins requiring no gunsmithing. They work perfectly for 3 screw and new model Ruger single sixes.

Besides 6 shot 22LR and 22 Mag single six models, Ruger makes 7 shot .32 H&R Mag/.327 Fed Mag, 9 shot 22 Mag and 10 shot 22LR "single six" models. They did make an 8 shot .327 Fed Mag on the Large Blackhawk Frame.

All of those cylinders can be retrofitted to any other 3 screw and new model Rugers.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I recently bought an 8 round 22wmr cylinder from Midway for my 2009 Single Six for about $100 and it works well.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's good to know guys I was sure there would be timing problems with the different diameter cylinders with extra chambers or however they were able to add the 2 extra chambers.
Are they the same diameter, did they just close up the spacing between chambers or what?
Gabby

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
I can't for the life of me figure out how that would work. Surely you can't just drop in an 8 shot cylinder in a 6 shooter. Or can you?

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Sorry for the Thread Hijack, but...

I see Story has a 10 round cylinder in 22 Long Rifle. I love my Single Ten. Its the original model, stainless 5.5" barrel. I have several Single Sixes as well, but really like the 10 shot capacity, when plinking. I have always thought the Lipseys 4.62" Single Ten would have been perfect, and had it been available when I bought my Ten, I probably would have bought the 4" instead.

Fast forward to now... I have a blued 4.62" Single Six convertible. It already has the gunfighter grips installed. Guess what I am thinking. I don't have the money for ANOTHER Single Ten. I don't shoot my blued S6 much, just because the Single Ten is better. I even have another set of Williams Fire Sights sitting in the parts bin. I could buy the blued 10 shot Story cylinder and have a 4.62, blued Single Ten(LR)~Six(WMR) Convertible. I dont plink with WMR because of the cost, but do shoot it from time to time. 6 shots is plenty for WMR in my opinion, but I like ten when shooting Long Rifle. Brilliant

I know there has been some argument recently whether a 10 round cylinder times, and operates correctly in the 6 shot frame. Since I have both guns, I have tried it(but not shot), and it appears the 10 shot cylinder times correctly in the Single Six. I wouldn't be afraid to buy the cylinder, and shoot it in my Single Six.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts