Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just purchased an old Remington 870 express magnum in 20 gauge. It came only with a Hastings rifled slug barrel. I was wondering if I could purchase a Remington 870 express vent rib bird barrel in 20 gauge. My dad called a guy at scheels and he said you cannot buy them.

Please post suggestions, comments.

Thanks guys, Max.:D

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
new barrel

Hey guys, I just purchased an old Remington 870 express magnum in 20 gauge. It came only with a Hastings rifled slug barrel. I was wondering if I could purchase a Remington 870 express vent rib bird barrel in 20 gauge. My dad called a guy at scheels and he said you cannot buy them.

Please post suggestions, comments.

Thanks guys, Max.:D
:)A pheasant hunting buddy of mine shoots, on occasion, a custom 1100 that has a Hastings barrel. Hastings barrels were all "spiraled"; the theory in the design wasn't rifling for slugs, but was a copy of the patented Ljutic ( as in high priced custom trap guns) barrel in which the idea is to "shed" the wad as soon as it leaves the muzzle so as not to effect the shot column. Hope this helps.:)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Great choice of shotgun, love those 870s.

There may be slightly fewer options for the 20 gauge, I'm not sure and by no means an expert, but as far as I know you should be able to find a replacement barrel fairly easily.

Check out this site: AIP Tactical Combat Shotguns

Based in Michigan, so close to your neck of the woods. The owner, J.D., is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to the 870. He's a Remington LE armorer and I believe a factory certified Remington dealer. I purchased an 18.5" police barrel for my old 12 gauge Wingmaster, for HD use, from him this spring and he was very helpful, and shipped super fast. The fit & finish of the barrel was perfect, which I'd expect for a factory replacement, and was reasonably priced.

I'm sure that he could answer any questions you have about your shotgun.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I believe it depends on how old the shotgun actually is. I have a Wingmaster that I can't get a replacement barrel for because it was made before 1977 (I would like to get a barrel with replaceable choke tubes).

I think they made the magazine tube smaller after 1977, so replacement barrels won't fit the older guns. If I remember correctly, the older guns used the same diameter magazine tube for both 12 and 20 gauge.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts