Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i think i'm in love. took my new 870 to the range for the first time today to shoot trap. granted, i sucked at it (i think i hit maybe 7 or 8 of the round) but, oh man, was that fun!!! nothing like shooting at a moving/flying target, and the 870 performed as well as its owner would allow it. going to try to get back up there tomorrow morning if possible, and if it's not too hot already.

·
Republican!!!
11,412 Posts
It's addictive, huh! :D

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,808 Posts
Congrats and thanks for the report. Shooting clays is a ton o'fun! Glad to hear the new 870 is working well. Skeet choke?

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Congrats and thanks for the report. Shooting clays is a ton o'fun! Glad to hear the new 870 is working well. Skeet choke?
it is a ton of fun! i can see this turning into a "problem". i'm jonesing already to go shoot another couple rounds, and when i stopped to buy the new choke i had to fondle a few over/unders.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hard to beat the 870...glad your enjoying trap. I got into skeet last year and I am HOOKED!

·
Righteous Dude
21,519 Posts
Skeet is fun! I won a backyard skeet competition amongst 10 guys using a HD Mossberg Persuader 12ga. They all had skeet shotguns with chokes. I had a smooth bore. Either way, it was a good time! I was just soooo determined to win with that shotgun! Haha

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
My first brand new gun was an 870, great gun and it has seen some crappy weather conditions and performed 100%.

Its been a few years since my duck hunting, but the only problem I have ever seen once or twice, was I think a sticky extraction. I forget whos gun it was, I think it was my friends very well worn 870, but just once or twice, the pump would get stuck and you had to put the butt on the ground and really work the pump. Maybe he just needed better cleaning techniques overall

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
Happy to hear your 870 outing was a "blast". Good for you!

I got wrapped up in skeet shooting several years ago and it became so addictive to me that my wife said I had to choose one or the other...skeet or she :eek:

I sure do miss skeet shooting :D

Again glad to hear you're happy with your new 870! PULL!!!

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I got wrapped up in skeet shooting several years ago and it became so addictive to me that my wife said I had to choose one or the other...skeet or she :eek:

i can see how it could come to that. awfully darn addicting! dare i say it, it might become more compelling than my paper shooting with my 22s and my 9mm.... again, the moving target thing. such a dynamic sport! probably why i loved watching the olympic clay shooting, but really only watched a little target shooting.

·
Republican!!!
11,412 Posts

Too bad you couldn't get her involved. It's becoming ever more popular with women.

·
Republican!!!
11,412 Posts
Arg0naut, be careful fondling those over unders. I made that mistake and now I want a Citori. My LGS has got one for about $1,600. Once I start wanting a gun this bad it usually haunts me until I've got it. :eek:

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
trip number 2 today was just about as much fun as you can have with your clothes on. i think i still more or less suck at it, but rather than hitting 6 or 7 out of 25 (last week) i did two rounds today and hit about 15 or 16 in the first round (hit the first four right out the gate, missed the fifth), and about 12 to 15 in the second round. wish i'd kept better track of hits, but i was concentrating on form so much i lost count. still tons and tons of fun. going to try to go back tomorrow morning before it heats up too much.

·
Republican!!!
11,412 Posts
trip number 2 today was just about as much fun as you can have with your clothes on. i think i still more or less suck at it, but rather than hitting 6 or 7 out of 25 (last week) i did two rounds today and hit about 15 or 16 in the first round (hit the first four right out the gate, missed the fifth), and about 12 to 15 in the second round. wish i'd kept better track of hits, but i was concentrating on form so much i lost count. still tons and tons of fun. going to try to go back tomorrow morning before it heats up too much.
Now you're making me want to go back and shoot some sporting clays. I was lazy today, but intend to finish setting up my press and reload some .45's.

Have fun and if you're near a Cabelas, watch for their sales on target ammo.

Sounds like you're getting the hang if it!

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah, unfortunately, no cabelas near me. i think my life would be fairly complete if there was. bass pro (which i only go to when i have to), sportsmans warehouse (which i go to on about a weekly basis). and of course, wally world.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Trap and skeet are fun, and the Remmy 870 is IMO the best all around firearm built. I coach the local high school trap team and the remmy 870 wingmaster classic trap is the gun that preforms the best with the greatest number of shooters, for us. I'm pretty sure that Alan Treadwell shoots an 870, at least he was when he was in town doing a clinic for the kids last year. Just remember to lead properly, and don't forget your follow through! Have fun, and congrats on a great gun and a VERY addictive new sport.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts