Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there an advantage to having the 9.5 inch barrel on the single six? I just ordered a new one today, and although I already had my mind set on the longer barrel, I didn't find this forum until after the fact. Does it improve accuracy in the 22 LR? or is it better suited to the 22WMR?:confused: Either way, its the barrel I wanted.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Its a longer sight radius, so that will help make YOU more accurate and should give it a little more thump down range. I believe i was told the 22lr doesnt fizzle out until about 16 inches, so the longer, the faster.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
As scooter89 says, it's an advantage for you the shooter to have that longer sighting radius for a more precise hold. The added weight of a long barrel can also add steadiness to your hold, which also contributes to accurate shooting. The longer barrel will also squeeze more velocity out of 22 LR, though whether that has any practical advantage in a 22 pistol is arguable.

As for the barrel, itself, though, a longer barrel isn't necessarily any more inherently accurate than a shorter barrel and, in fact, there are times when a shorter barrel has an advantage, since a shorter barrel is often stiffer and sometimes more consistent in the way it vibrates during the shot, which can lead to better accuracy. In other words, it's never as simple as just barrel length when talking about the inherent accuracy of a barrel. :)

The other side of the coin with a long barreled SS, of course, is what you give up in the way of handling and portability. Those features, though, are very much a matter of personal preference and taste. If you like that long barrel, go for it. Definitely makes for a cool Single Six.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there anything I need to look out for in this new pistol? I have seen a couple of posts where some one has sent theres back to Ruger for repair. I think it was a sticky cylinder. are their any inherant problems to be aware of?

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
The odds are against you having a problem, but, of course, there is always that possibility, though slight, no matter what gun you buy.

The good news is that we are dealing with a revolver, here and a single action, at that - no worries about failure to feed or to eject and so on. Hey, Single Sixes are tanks. As long as the action cycles, correctly and the sights are on good and straight, you're good to go. Even in the remote case of having a problem, it's a Ruger and they'll take good care of you. I'd get out there and start buying some ammo. You're going to have some fun.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
You are correct in the fact that it IS a Ruger and I have no worries. I am the proud owner of 6 other Rugers. and I love every one of them. #1's are my favorite. I have 2 in 458 Lott and 7MM Rem Mag, with my Black hawk running a close second (45 long Colt). I gave my son an M77MKII 300 winny a year or so ago. I also have a 77-22 that I love to use for squirrel. I have way to many fire arms (haha no such a thang) but my favorites are my Rugers, For looks, simplicity, reliability and elegance. That and the country of manufacture.

My thinking for this single six is this.
1) I have an empty shoulder holster that the 9.5 will fit.
2) I hate squirrels when I am in a tree stand, but love them in the skillet.
3) I hate coyotes too. (and Bob kitties)
4) The 22 WMR will do as much damage to a squirrels head as the 22lr will.
5) The 22 WMR will do more damage to a coyote than the 22lr will.
6) It will make a nice gun around Elk camp.
7) I have never owned a 22WMR.
8) If needed, I can create more reasons to justify this purchase.:D

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
You are correct in the fact that it IS a Ruger and I have no worries. I am the proud owner of 6 other Rugers. and I love every one of them. #1's are my favorite. I have 2 in 458 Lott and 7MM Rem Mag, with my Black hawk running a close second (44 long Colt). I gave my son an M77MKII 300 winny a year or so ago. I also have a 77-22 that I love to use for squirrel. I have way to many fire arms (haha no such a thang) but my favorites are my Rugers, For looks, simplicity, reliability and elegance. That and the country of manufacture.

My thinking for this single six is this.
1) I have an empty shoulder holster that the 9.5 will fit.
2) I hate squirrels when I am in a tree stand, but love them in the skillet.
3) I hate coyotes too. (and Bob kitties)
4) The 22 WMR will do as much damage to a squirrels head as the 22lr will.
5) The 22 WMR will do more damage to a coyote than the 22lr will.
6) It will make a nice gun around Elk camp.
7) I have never owned a 22WMR.
8) If needed, I can create more reasons to justify this purchase.:D
Oh, you're good, very good. :)

·
Registered
17,079 Posts
I've got a couple of Single Sixes including one with a 9 1/2" barrel. I really like it for shooting Prairie Dogs in the pasture. The wind seems to have more effect on the longer barrel though. I've had it long enough that it cost $75 new. Sometimes when I look at it, it reminds me of the cartoon guns that the flag comes out of the end.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts