Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a blackhawk convertible .357/99mm. I am looking for something to hold the cylinder that is not in the revolver that is a bit more elegant than the bubble wrap pouch Ruger provided. Would a cylinder fit in a speedloader case? Thanks,

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I had a thread where I recommended a pouch made from a certain body part of Kangaroos, but that thread got deleted so you will have to do a search on your own to see if it might work.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I had a thread where I recommended a pouch made from a certain body part of Kangaroos, but that thread got deleted so you will have to do a search on your own to see if it might work.
The nursing pouch? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
524 Posts
The old pouches Ruger used allowed extra cylinders to rust. Maybe the bubble wrap is the best thing. My extra cylinder has been wrapped in bubble for 11 years w/o rusting.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I'm having my spare .357 cylinder converted to .38 Super, I was thinking of just using some kind of wooden box to keep it in so I can bring it to the range...........I'm sure I can find something "cylinder sized".

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a question that may sound stupid, but I'm new to Ruger Convertibles, so please bear with me.

Can ANY Blackhawk .357 use the Convertible's 9mm cylinder or is it a proprietary deal whereas it only works on those models?

I just picked up my first convertible, a 4-5/8 inch-barreled .45 Colt/ACP model, and am really excited by the idea of picking up a .357 Magnum Blackhawk so I can have the use of that caliber, plus .38 Special & 9mm.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I believe the cylinders are a fitted part. A 9mm cylinder would fit in another .357 but there would likely be issues. I think you should buy a convertible model. If you buy used make sure you get both cylinders. You can use 38 special in any .357.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Have you ever bought a Benchmade knife or Oakley sunglasses?

The little pouches that come with either of those work nicely for extra Ruger cylinders.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I recently bought a blackhawk convertible .357/99mm. I am looking for something to hold the cylinder that is not in the revolver that is a bit more elegant than the bubble wrap pouch Ruger provided. Would a cylinder fit in a speedloader case? Thanks,
I think your speedloader idea is right on, but it might not offer any rust protection. I would probably spray the cylinder before putting it away and clean it before using again.

I have a 45 convertible and noted that it involves some significant compromises, neither this nor that. I bought it to shoot 45 Colt and measured .453 throats and a tight forcing cone, using only a cursory measurement of placing a .451 FMJ bullet in the forcing cone. I have since learned that the accuracy of these convertibles is compromised when the respective bullets are not the same nominal diameter. I shoot .452 lead as 45 Colt and do okay, but I think I would be better off using .451 FMJ as 45 ACP.

I might best use soft lead for 45 Colt accuracy, but I bought the gun for its top tier, "Ruger-only" load capabilities and its long barrel (7 1/2"). I would expect leading with soft bullets at those high velocities.

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
You can always make one or have them made. My wife made me these for me .45s. We live in a dry climate, so no thought of 'rust'.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
The 9mm cylinder MAY drop in to any .357 Blackhawk, it would be a crap shoot.

You could save time and aggravation by just getting a convertible so you know it works.

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
In the 80's I bought a .45 convertible at the Tulsa Gun Show, but it only came with the .45 auto cylinder. I bought it because it was a steal. I spent the rest of the day searching tables and found one a had a spare .45 colt cylinder. If I remember right, I paid $30.00 for it. I knew it was a crap shoot, but I found that the fit was pretty close. I shortened the front part of the cylinder where the base pin goes through the cylinder. I used a flat file and worked slowly, checking frequently for barrel/cylinder gap and end play. I was probably just lucky, but that cylinder and the .45 auto cylinder both shoot great.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Check out THIS guy's outstanding leatherwork.
It may be designed for black powder revolver cylinders, but if anything can be adapted --- this is the quality stuff that you'll want to re-purpose.
( Black Powder Revolver Cylinder Leather Holster | eBay )

I own three of his cross-draw holsters, which hang at a 30-degree angle, for my Ruger Blackhawks & Super Blackhawk.
The quality is incomparable!!! :D :D :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts