Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings,

New Ruger 10/22 addict here.
Started not too long ago with a stock birchwood 10/22 carbine.

Current rifle config:
- Hogue overmold stock for standard barrel
- Simmons 22 Mag scope, Bushnell TRS 25 RDS
- BX Trigger
- Stock barrel

I just purchased a Fedderson 16" threaded barrel to up this rifles game. Along with the auto-bolt release.

Realized that I purchased the Hogue overmold stock for standard width barrel some months ago, assuming I'd keep the standard barrel contour. Well I just bought a .920 Bull barrel. I'm guessing this wont fit on the stock.

My question -
Do I sell off the standard barrel hogue stock and pick up a new stock made for .920 bull barrel? Or can I sand down the barrel channel to accept this barrel? I think a one of those nice ruger laminate stocks would fit great, but I really like the lightweight yet sturdy feel of the hogue.

Any other suggestions? This rifle is for target / plinking purposes. Possibly 20-50 yard shooting competitions.

Thanks!

·
Registered
59 Posts
While it is possible to sand the barrel channel to fit - why?

I'd purchase a Hogue Overmolded (they now have a couple of different models) for the .920 barrel and try to sell the one you have now on one of the auction sites to recoup some of your investment.

Someone may want your original stock and be willing to pay for it making your investment in a new stock that fits properly minimal.

Just my opinion - YMMV

·
"The Real Deal"
7,081 Posts
Greetings,

New Ruger 10/22 addict here.
Started not too long ago with a stock birchwood 10/22 carbine.

Current rifle config:
- Hogue overmold stock for standard barrel
- Simmons 22 Mag scope, Bushnell TRS 25 RDS
- BX Trigger
- Stock barrel

I just purchased a Fedderson 16" threaded barrel to up this rifles game. Along with the auto-bolt release.

Realized that I purchased the Hogue overmold stock for standard width barrel some months ago, assuming I'd keep the standard barrel contour. Well I just bought a .920 Bull barrel. I'm guessing this wont fit on the stock.

My question -
Do I sell off the standard barrel hogue stock and pick up a new stock made for .920 bull barrel? Or can I sand down the barrel channel to accept this barrel? I think a one of those nice ruger laminate stocks would fit great, but I really like the lightweight yet sturdy feel of the hogue.

Any other suggestions? This rifle is for target / plinking purposes. Possibly 20-50 yard shooting competitions.

Thanks!
I kinda did the same thing years back. I took a bone stock birch stocked 10/22 and built a target driller. I used a bulter creek .920 fluted barrel, then I threaded it for suppressor use 1/2×28 tpi. I dropped the stock for a hogue black overmold, and drilled it for a bipod mount. I replaced the trigger with a Volquartsen. I also used a tactical solutions 1913 mount. I have this rifle zeroed for 50 yards, and know the hold over for 100 yards. Its fairly easily to shoot 12 gauge hulls off the top of the target at 100 yards. Its ammo of choice is the cci green tag 40gr competition. Who would have known years later ruger would produce one close to what I built.:cool:

So what I would do is maybe sell the current hogue, and buy another , less fuss than modifying the other. Since you already like the original hogue, it should remain a favorite when you swap to a new one. Just my thoughts.

Here is mine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was leaning against modifying the existing stock.

Assuming I'll be able to recoup the $60 I paid for it, should I purchase the same Hogue overmold stock that will accept the .920 bull barrel?

Since I've put a fair amount of money and time into this 22, is it worth splurging for a more cosmetically appealing stock? I really prefer the lightweight feel of the Hogue. Will the revolution be substantially heavier?

Something like this:

Ruger 10/22 Stock Thumbhole Silhouette Camo fits Ruger 10/22 rifles with .920 diameter barrel

·
Registered
129 Posts
My strongest advice is: DON'T try to enlarge the barrel channel to fit the bull barrel.

My own build is almost finished, and in it I bought two different designs of the Promag Archangel stocks. Hated them both. Cheaply made, poor fit, flexible, generally bad quality. For members who love their Archangel stocks, no offense intended. If they work for you, great.

To the OP: I also strongly suggest that you look carefully at the Magpul brand of stocks. The "Hunter X22" is what I settled on, and I am glad that I did. You have three colors to chose from: Black, Gray, and Flat Dark Earth. I chose the FDE. With add-on spacers, you can change the stock comb height and length of pull to suit your own requirements. The stocks also have multiple "M-Lok" slots on the bottom and sides of the forestock. On my build I have a Harris style folding bipod as well as a vertical fore grip. On the left side of forestock and butt stock I have tactical quick disconnect sockets for a tactical two-point and single point sling. On the right side of my fore stock I have another rail attached to the M-Lok slots for future use of a tactical flashlight and laser.

My opinion is that the Magpul Hunter is the best buy for the buck. Absolutely zero flexibility, super strong, and VERY comfortable. It offers almost infinite customization possibilities.

Like you, I was also attracted to the stocks with attractive laminated colors and designs, with thumb holes and other pistol grip designs. But I did not want such a pretty stock that nicks, dents, moisture collection would bother me. I wanted a weather-proof barrel and stock combination that could withstand careful use without looking beat-up. And fortunately, DupliColor Spray Paint offers matching colors for Magpul stock colors. (The stock, however, are not painted- the color is molded into the stock material).

I have no personal experience with the Hogue stocks, but I like the photos of them I have seen and can understand your choice. For all of us in the 1022 hobbyist crowd, we have a huge number of stocks to choose from. Take a look on eBay at Mike.stocks too.

Oh yeah, regarding weight. My 16.5" SS fluted barrel from Pike Arms is considerably heavier than a tapered barrel, and the Magpul stock is heavier than the Archangel stocks. The assembled gun is still easy to carry, and the weight means nothing in use on a shooting bench with a pipod holding the gun up. From a standing, sitting or prone firing position, the little .22 isn't any more heavy or clumsy than any other hunting rifle. And my vertical fore grip greatly aids stability in firing from a standing position.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thank you for your input. I was a little taken with the appearance and didn't consider the weather aspect.

Just ordered a new hogue stock that will accept a bull barrel.

Ended up getting the Feddersen fluted bull barrel (16") in dull black with the threading option. I think it should match the black Hogue stock well. Pics will follow after shipping and install

·
Registered
217 Posts
I am very happy with my ProMag Archangel, but you could look at Boyd's. They have a nice variety of stocks available for a better price.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts