Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a 10-point that scored 146&1/8" with my 96/44 during this years Wisconsin deer season. I was using Winchester 240 gr sp ammunition purchased at the local Walmart. The bullet entered the lungs on one side, angled back and exited the other side just behind the rib cage but no blood trail! The buck went 200-225 yards into heavy cover and I was just lucky to find him. What do others use for loads for white tail, bear and hogs in your .44s and what do estimate that effective range of your load? Does it normally leave you with a blood trail? My buck was 125-130 yards when I shot.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I use Winchester Supreme 250 Grain Platinum Tip Hollow Point, in my 99/44. Never had a deer go more than 20 yds.

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
Killed my first deer in 1971 with a Ruger .44 mag semi-auto carbine. Seems like I shot 180 or 200 gr hollow points. One shot one kill at 50 yards. I never shot anything but hollow points in it when hunting. Never shot more than 125 yards or so. Better to be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I too have been using the Win. Supremes, but haven't been fortunate to shoot a deer with the Ruger. In my old Marlin 92, which my daughter confiscated, I shot a number of deer with 260 gr. hard cast bullets. Was lucky enough to get them to shoot in Micro Grove rifling. Deer always left a good blood trail and were within 75 yds. of where I shot them. Got complete penetrartion with cast bullets.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts