Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've used some of this from time to time, shot it out of Glocks 17, 19 and even the new 43 single stack. Not a plinkers round at all. The Beretta Nano handeled it fairly well but after 4 mags the take down pin was slightly sloppy in the frame by a few thousands, it hits hard.

Its very high pressure and not on the SAAMI charts.

So, at $19.00 a box of 50, would this make some effective SHTF stash ammo?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W9iiaXoRaRY

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
Even though I don't shoot them, if I saw them, I'd be inclined to pick up 200 and stash them away. You just never know... may make a good item for trade, too! :)

·
Banned
650 Posts
It depends on what kind of guns you have. I have a Ruger Blackhawk, Springfield XD (M) with a 5" barrel, G19 and a Hi Point carbine that can handle that ammo without a hitch as long as I don't go crazy with that ammo. They all are full size guns that are well built. I shoot 2 or 3 magazines of 9BPLE a year out of each gun that can handle it. I don't shoot a 100 rounds at a time. Each time you shoot 9BPLE you accelerate the wear on parts. Law enforcement is switching to 9mm because 9mm standard loads are easy on a gun. You can get 300,000 rounds out of a Glock with standard pressure ammo. Most 40 cal pistols are built on a 9mm frame and they wear out. You are doing the same thing with +P+ ammo. The state of Illinois ran 9BPLE in their guns for decades without any accelerated wear.

Don't think you can shoot +P+ ammo in pocket pistols without damaging the gun. Pocket pistols are built just strong enough to run standard velocity without any accelerated wear. I am not sure the Nano is rated for +P ammo much less +P+ ammo. If you have wore the take down pin until it is shiny all over you need to replace the take down pin. There is no need to risk major damage or a PITA repair over a $5 part.

In this test they ran some hot ammo through a Nano. 9BPLE has to be run in a G17 (4.5" barrel) to get 1,300 FPS. It runs around 1,250 fps in my G19. Velocity doesn't mean the ammo is not high high pressure. Buffalo bore that has a velocity of 1.300 fps from a Nano just means they use a more efficient bullet. http://www.gunblast.com/Beretta-Nano.htm

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wearing out a pistol early is a concern, the Nano is not rated for +P much less a step up from that and regular rounds were wearing it a bit. These puppies kicked that up a notch.

The Glocks acted like another day at the beach with these hot rounds although thr single stack 43 was digging into the web of my hand when I shot them.

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
The Glocks I wouldn't worry about. The pocket pistols not rated for +P/+P+ is a concern. However, if you need to run 10 out of any pistol, I can't see a huge concern. It's the constant usage that is damaging.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I carried the Winchester version of this load for years during my LE career. Smith approved of it's use in the aluminum alloy framed 5903s that were issued around 25 years ago. It had a very good track record with our dept in real usage.

I have picked up several boxes at that crazy price ($18 per 50 rounds) and put them back. I'll likely add a few more with my next order if they are still around. I still carry 124+p Gold Dots as my primary load in 9mm, but the old school 9BPLE is good stuff.

·
Registered
704 Posts
When the majority of the LEO agencies were changing over to the 9mm in the 80/90's. The 9BPLE was standard carry for several highway/state patrols. A steady diet of +P+ rounds will hammer a gun.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Old technology that still works! As long as "gold dot 124+p's are available I would pass. Maybe 40,000 NYC police and the French gov't are wrong, but the "bonded" bullets seem to work..
Saami's max pressure for +p ammo is 38500 psi. The +p+ federal ammo is supposedly @ 40,000 psi; who knows??? Saami has no definitions for +p+...I don't want to damage my canik c-100 pistol..

·
Banned
650 Posts
Right now you can get 9BPLE for $16 a box of 50 at SGAmmo.com | Family Owned and Operated Ammo Sales, Stillwater OK

I would use Federal 9BP in a Canik. 9BP is the standard pressure law enforcement load of Hi Shok. The law enforcement load is more desirable because it has sealed primers and nickel plated cases. 9BP runs about $15 a box. I run 9BP in my carbine. My carbine can handle +P+ ammo. Hi Shok bullets cannot handle 1,500 fps. Hiting just a jug of water at 1,500 fps Hi Shok goes to pieces. The 9BP load comes out of the carbine at around 1,300 fps about the same as the +P+ load from a pistol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts