Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a new 9e at Gander last week for $350 as a back-up for my Glock 17. Had it at the range yesterday, after cleaning and lube, and I was impressed. It seems like a well built gun and I put 200 rounds through it with any problems. I'm a lefty with my right eye dominant so I always need to adjust the rear gun sights to the left. I was getting 6 inch groups off hand at 7 yards shooting federal ball ammo. I was shooting low. I did discover that the grip is too thin for my taste so I ordered a couple of different grip sleeves to try on it next range trip. I think the shooting low problem was all me, not the gun.
I found that my Glock magazine loader worked perfectly for loading the 9e mags so I don't need to buy a ruger one. I ordered two extra 17 round mags from Ruger, using the 20% coupon from owner registration.
All in all, I'm very happy with the purchase. I own 5 Ruger rimfire guns and never had any problems except replacing the extractor on my Mark II after 10 years of use. This is my first centerfire gun from Ruger and it seems to live up to the Ruger name. Have fun and safe shooting.......;)

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Congrats on the 9E. I love mine. But my 9E HATEs Perfecta ammo but eats anything else I feed it! I added Talon Grip Tape and I really like them, Have them on my Shield AS well

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats on the 9E. I love mine. But my 9E HATEs Perfecta ammo but eats anything else I feed it! I added Talon Grip Tape and I really like them, Have them on my Shield AS well
Perfecta ammo is the only brand of 9mm that I have ever had problems with in my Glock. I'll look into the Talon grip tape if the grip sleeves I ordered don't help. I've gotten used to the finger grip on my Glock so I thought I would start with the grip sleeves first. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Perfecta ammo is the only brand of 9mm that I have ever had problems with in my Glock. I'll look into the Talon grip tape if the grip sleeves I ordered don't help. I've gotten used to the finger grip on my Glock so I thought I would start with the grip sleeves first. Thanks.
I had the Pachmayr Sleeve on my 9E till I put the Talon on my Shield. I was hooked lol I tried 100 rounds of the Perfecta and I had a ton of FTE and FTF
You will like the sleeve bur do not try the Talon or you will chuck the sleeve lol

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I hated the SR9C I had due to the LCI. I sold it and now that the 9E came out without that LCI it has been on my list to get. I went to the LGS today and they did have a couple 9E so I have one in layaway now. I can mark this one off the list.
Congratulations on the 9E and the range trip.

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
3,195 Posts
The 9e is the best deal in the shooing world. Got mine for around $300 shipped plus $10 FFL fee. How in the world can you beat that??

Congrats!!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Put the Pacmayr grip sleeve on it today, makes a world of difference. I'll see if it helps my accuracy any. Anyone have any idea what fiber optic sight would fit the 9e?

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
3,195 Posts
Put the Pacmayr grip sleeve on it today, makes a world of difference. I'll see if it helps my accuracy any. Anyone have any idea what fiber optic sight would fit the 9e?
If you discover that anyone is making a fiber optic front, please post it here.
I've been waiting for somebody to come out with one.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I had the same grips,I liked them a lot ,c couldn't beat 12$ ! Then I tried the Talons :rolleyes: as for sights no luck yet:mad:

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Many semi autos are still finicky about relaibility.

I disagree. I own several Ruger semi auto pistols and only one have I ever had a reliability issue with. That's the 22/45 Lite, which I may have finally solved.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I've got over 500 rds through my 9E with no problems at all. I cast my own bullets, and it shoots those well. Used my 20% off for registering online to buy a 2 pack of 17 rd magazines from ShopRuger. Thinking I might replace the guide rod with a stainless one. It is the best deal out there, and USA made.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Have to chip in on the Perfecta ammo...JUNK...SR9C, M&P40C. S&W BG380 and SR1911 all hate it. Lets see, four guns, four calibers, same results. Congrats on the 9E, great choice

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I checked Dawson and everywhere else and have not found any fiber optic sights available for the 9E. I think I'll send an email to Ruger and ask them. I'll report back if I find any info.

I had the 9E back to the range today with the pacmayr grip sleeve. I was shooting 4 inch groups at 7 yards and even had a few in the 1 inch center ring. Much better feel with the fuller grip. It ate 2 new flavors of ammo without a problem, including some federal hollow points.

The only other 9mm that I own is my Glock 17, gen 4. I paid $520 for it with 3 mags, mag loader and case, about 3 years ago.

The 9e cost $350 + $55 for the 2 extra mags + $5 for the mag loader + $10 for the case + $12 for the grip sleeve = $432 total, for a savings of $ 88 for the Ruger.

That's not really enough money saved to buy the Ruger over a glock if you would rather have the glock, but I think the 9E is a great value, a soft shooter, a more comfortable and fun gun to shoot, and more accurate for me than the Glock was after 300 rounds.

I'm happy with the purchase and I hope somebody will come out with some fiber optic sights for the 9E. In the meantime I'm going to get some bright sight paint for the 9E and my Browning 1911/22. That little gun has terrible sights, or is it my eyes......

Have fun and safe shooting..........

·
Registered
83 Posts
bawna6 nice report. As a first time gun owner my nephew purchased a 9e. For less than $300.00 + $20.00 transfer he can't go wrong. Need to find two more mags for it.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
I loaded a magazine for my SR40c with 5 different FMJ's and 4 different personal defense ammo. The little girl just chewed them up and spit out brass, now that's reliable!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Since they don't make any fiber optic sights for the 9E I decided to stop by my local Hobby Lobby and picked up a bottle of Testors Orange Florescent paint today. I stirred it up with a round toothpick, pulled the toothpick out and held it over the bottle to let the excess paint drip off. After 3 or 4 drips into the bottle I moved to the front sight and dropped one drop in the sight. It looks great and really pops now. The white dot which is already there acts as a primer and makes the orange much more visible. I'll see if it helps my aim next time out. It can't hurt and it only cost $ 1.79

1 - 20 of 26 Posts