Ruger Forum banner

9lb hammer spring WITH shims WORKED!

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  weblance 
#1 · (Edited)
I started down this road about a year back when I picked up two 4.2" SP101's. One in 357 and another in 22lr.

I found the Kevin Wilson Trigger job here Ruger SP101 Trigger Job Guide

I did that plus I tried the wolff reduced power trigger return spring and the hammer spring.

The 357 worked good, but the 22r had failures to fire. Out of frustration, I worked my way up to the 10 lb, 12 lb and right back up to the factory 14lb hammer spring.

Then I found trigger shims.com
Ruger Double Action

After watching his installations guide, I realized that both of my guns had issues with the triggers and the hammers riding or scraping the frame of gun when they were moving.

I ordered the shims and installed them. I am pleased to say that the 22lr SP101 now fires 100% with just a 9lb hammer spring. You can see the hammer stays dead center in the frame as it moves back and forth while shooting double action.

After emailing the owner of triggershims.com I found out that you can custom order thicker shims if needed. It turned out for my two guns, that the .005 were not thick enough. If I had it to do over, I would just order a Ruger Double Action pack, with custom .009 shims. There is plenty of space in the frame for them and I want to have just one shim per side vs, having two shims on each side in order to get the desired results.

Bottom line, the trigger and hammer shims saved the day for me. I now enjoy very smooth triggers in both Rugers.

Full disclosure, I do not know the owners of triggershims.com and in no way benifit here. I just want to share the good stuff that worked for me :D

R65

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.