Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I finally have the extra funds.......

Finally have the GP100 picked out for the conversion to 9mm-.38 Super.......

I'm about to pay for the conversion on Pinnacle's web site, and pack my cylinder in a USPS flat rate box.....

But, I hold off, I realize, there are no moon clips available for the 9mm GP100, at least none that I know of.....I don't know if TK's clips for the .38 Special-.357 GP100 will work with 9mm, probably not.

Before I drop the $250 I need to find out if this is do-able or not, or if I should reconsider either using a different gun, holding off, or just scrapping the whole project altogether....

Also on hold, is my hard chroming of my Vaquero Birdshead .45, deciding if that's worth it or to just keep the gun blued.......I just put a 5.5" .45 Vaquero convertible on layaway, which kind of reduces my need to chrome the Birdshead.......since I can now use the 5.5" Vaquero as my "outdoor activities/hiking carry gun" and the Birdshead is now just more of a fun shooter....reducing parts wear on a Vaquero with hard chroming seems redundant since the gun will last forever regardless...

Decisions, decisions:)

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Did you ask Pinnacle? If they're doing the conversion, they probably have a lead on the clips.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Something you want to be 100% sure of before sending off. When I purchased my 9mm Speed Six I was lucky enough to get some Ruger half moons in the deal. Figured full moons would be easy to acquire. WRONG!!! Only one manufacturer that even lists them for the Speed and they are pricey. I grabbed 20 just to have them but it cost me big time. Without the moon clips the gun is virtually useless. Keep us filled in.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tom at TK Customs says the "986" 6-shot 9mm-9x23 clips will work as long as the thickness is correct, I think .32".....

It also seems certain types of brass only work with certain clips but it's not a big deal, for example Winchester brass is too "fat" in the rim to work with certain clips. I can deal with it, this is a "fun" project so I can work that out later.

Since TK seems to have the correct clips, I am debating whether to just have them do the conversion, I don't know if TK's "cut" for the clips is different than what Mark at Pinnacle will do. I wanted to use Pinnacle because they're an hour away from me and $50 less, I figured I'd support the "local" business. I think I still will, and also ask Mark what clips will work with it.

No one will do just a 9x19 cut in the chamber, all of them will only do 9x23. I asked both TK and Pinnacle, if they could just do 9x19 so I could load 9mm without clips just for screwing around and plinking at the range and the won't do it. It's 9x23 chamber only.

I also think I will use a "beater" GP100 I have, a stainless 4" target sight model that was a security trade, instead of the nearly new GP I was planning on using. This way, if I'm not 100% happy with the outcome I still just have a "beater" that will shoot 9mm for the range, vs. committing a $600 brand new GP to the project that I'd probably be upset if it didn't work out. The new GP100 is a tack driver in it's .357 configuration so I'd hate to roll the dice on it, the beater, I don't really care about, it will be a $250 experiment since I've wanted a 9mm GP100 for years so now I feel compelled to at least try it:) If it works out, it will be awesome and I can blast away with it in 3 different calibers, if it falls flat, well, at least I tried:) The "fail safe" in these conversions is that even without clips, it will still chamber and fire .38 Super since that round is semi-rimmed.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Probably a good strategy to have TK do the conversion. TK is where I got my Speed moon clips. They had a bad batch that were running a couple of thousands thicker than advertised. The gun would bind up with them. I called them and they promptly replaced them at no cost. A couple of thousands will make a difference so having TK do the cut may save you a bunch of aggravation.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's also a good thought, since TK has a 3-5 day turnaround on the conversions, and they will include 10 clips for $75........it might be a better idea to have the people who make the clips do the cutting.

If it turns out good, then I will probably have my other GP100 converted if I'm 100% happy with how the "beater" comes out.......

$375 for the conversion, and the moonclips, and TK tries to push the "tools" on you but I don't think I want them for now.......I'm about $100 over what I was looking to spend, so I'll have to give it some thought tonight.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Pimp them all out. Shoot that's half the fun of getting a new shooter anyway. I'm half way through a design prior to me even picking up a new shooter. It may only be an action job and Mag-Na-Porting, but it's planned well in advance let me tell you. Prior to the proliferation of stainless gun choices (especially from Ruger), I'd quite often use Accurate Plating and Weaponry (formerly out of Florida), but now I'm not sure where they are located. They are the bees knees in plating with every possible finish available. Quite a few of my former project guns are now enjoyed by the fellows that talked me out of them. I found that making the project was about as fun as shooting them for the first time.

Do however, make sure that you can get those moon clips prior to that conversion. I'd think that the smith doing that work would be in the know about that, wouldn't he? I mean, to what measure is he turning back the cylinder if he doesn't have moon clips to go by? Smithy.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Rugers make excellent "project guns" since there's a lot of room for alteration, plus they're made to use, not sit in safes. That was my thought with the blue Birdshead I am most likely going to eventually get the Metalife finish applied to, it's a shooter, not a museum piece:)

Not to bash any of the pistolsmiths but I strongly suspect TK doesn't want to do a 9x19 ream to the chambers, only 9x23, so that I have to keep buying his moonclips to shoot 9x19 Para. Since most people likely are getting this work done to shoot 9x19 Para, he doesn't want me to be able to drop loose 9x19 in and poke the empties out with a rod, instead, he wants to keep selling me $75 per 10 moonclips:)

Unless there's some technical aspect I'm missing, where a .357 chamber can't be reamed to 9x19, only 9x23, but Pinnacle says they will ream S&W .38 J-frames and Taurus 85's, as well as Schofield repros to 9x19, so it must be possible in a .38 chamber, but for the GP100 they're telling me they only do 9x23......I'm communicating with TK via email right now, he's fast getting back to you with questions, trying to see if he'll do a 9x19 conversion on my GP100. I want to "hedge my bet" so to speak, so if I don't feel like using clips to punch paper or shoot coffee cans in my backyard with 9mm I don't have to.Also,in the event I buy 9mm that won't fit the clips, like dirt cheap reloads etc. I can still at least shoot the stuff and have fun........ We'll see what I come up with. I'm not looking for a serious competition or defensive gun, just a DA revolver in 9mm that I can have fun with for $9 a box, when I get bored with .22's.

·
Registered
301 Posts
whey back when i had a black hawk that was 38 357 and had a 9mm cyl that was the worst accurate gun i ever owned 357 and 38 did great but the 9mm was bad. walk into a green barn and hit a red wall bad seems that .002 makes a big difference good luck with the gp i hope it works.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Have you slugged the barrel on the gun you intend to convert. If the barrel has a .358 bore I don't think you are going to get the accuracy without reloading.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok,here's where I'm at.......

I feel like a woman choosing shoes here, but a lot has "developed" over the past couple days with this project.......

Eric from TK hasn't responded to me yet about just doing up a 9x19 ream on my chambers, maybe he got tired of hearing from me or read this post lol I don't know, and Mark from Pinnacle has a message on his website that he's away for a family emergency and won't be able to work on orders or answer emails, so he hasn't responded to my 9x19 chamber question either, hope everything's ok with him though.

I really would like a 9x19 chamber, it should be possible on the GP cylinder but again, not to sound bitter but I think most of the guys who do the work want to also sell you their clips, so they want you to get the 9x23.

I'm almost thinking , unless one of these guys will do the 9x19, I'm gonna hold off. The cost of the work would put me halfway into another gun, maybe I'll just say heck with it and buy myself another P89 stainless with the funds I would have used for the conversion.

I also just fired my 9mm Blackhawk and fired an acceptable group at 20 yards with MagTech 115 gr., from a sandbag rest.......so in the meantime, I've got my 9mm "range revolver' until I figure out what I'm doing:) All this thinking and I said to myself, let me walk out back and put a quick 6 rounds through my 9mm Blackhawk from a rest, just to see if a gun I've already got can do anything.....

IMO that group is perfectly acceptable to me, I "dropped" one because a gnat hit my face and I blew the sight picture as I was pulling, otherwise it would have fell into that cluster. Shoots well enough for me, at 1/2 the cost of .38 and definitely .357. Fun plinker, if nothing else. No fooling with moon clips either, and it eats steel case since obviously there's no "extractor" to worry about. I don't know what the bore diameter is, but just found out it likes MagTech. My past offhand shooting with it showed mediocre accuracy with Wolf and OK accuracy with Fiocchi.

In my recent interest in pistol caliber revolvers, it seems easier and more enjoyable to just go with the Ruger SA convertibles.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK, TK customs can do a 9x19 conversion, but he says it's irrelevant since you can't load "loose" 9x19 in the chambers,since they are .357 sized. I'll have to use clips regardless. Might as well do 9x23.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Well, there you go then. I knew there was a better explanation besides trying to sell a few moon clips. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No, they ream your existing chambers to take 9mm, which is the cause of some of the headaches I've read about in my research........

Again not to bash TK Customs I'm sure they're great but every email I got from him he kept trying to "sneak" those dam tools into the price, he must have a pile of them laying around........I don't think demand for these conversions is as high as I thought.

I'm still thinking it over, the advice I got on another forum was "9mm revolver conversions? Yeah......the best advice is to take that $400, put it back in the bank, and lay down until the feeling to have it done passes......."

I don't know, I go back and forth on it, I was hoping Ruger would have brought out the 9mm SP101 by now:) A properly chambered cylinder with a .355 bore, for the price of the conversion you would be 3/4 of the way to one, when/if they come out.....

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
No, they ream your existing chambers to take 9mm, which is the cause of some of the headaches I've read about in my research........

Again not to bash TK Customs I'm sure they're great but every email I got from him he kept trying to "sneak" those dam tools into the price, he must have a pile of them laying around........I don't think demand for these conversions is as high as I thought.

I'm still thinking it over, the advice I got on another forum was "9mm revolver conversions? Yeah......the best advice is to take that $400, put it back in the bank, and lay down until the feeling to have it done passes......."

I don't know, I go back and forth on it, I was hoping Ruger would have brought out the 9mm SP101 by now:) A properly chambered cylinder with a .355 bore, for the price of the conversion you would be 3/4 of the way to one, when/if they come out.....
It depends on the use, I can't see it for myself. I could see the moon clips for competition, but just cutting for 38/357 moon clips makes more sense. Then the cases can be cut down for lower recoil.

In snubs the 9mm performs better than 38spl, but the bore really needs to be the proper bore, IMO. I use 38 spl cut to 23mm in the wife's Rossi 352 for a low recoil load. A 357 revolver could be loaded to 9mm pressure for 38 super performance. Reduced powder should mean less muzzle flip using the shortened case compared to a 38 +P.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
When in doubt , do what I do........PROCRASTINATE !
I had a Ruger Blackhawk convertible 38-357 and extra 9mm cylinder, The 9mm cylinder wasn't a great idea, not very accurate but they did go bang and the ejector rod poked them out. No need for any clips. It worked , sorta... .355 bullets shot from a .3575 bore!
On paper these conversions sound good but the truth is , as far as my experience has shown, a good 38 special / 357 magnum cylinder is still the best. The extra 9mm cylinder, in a single action without the need for clips is interesting and maybe something to have for cheap ammo or in a survival situation, but that's about it.

You pays your money and you makes your choice !
Gary

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Considering how inexpensive 9mm brass is, and the performance a 9mm with the proper bore, and the proper chamber cut would be a great idea. Especially a snub.

S&W already has a 986 designed for 9mm competition. Seven shots instead of six, and probably the same cost as buying a new gun, and having it converted.

With the right powder 38 spl snub can match the performance of 9mm for SD. I get 900fps out of 138 gn WC in a 352 using long shot, a +P load. Seating in the crimp groove leaves most of the bullet in the case, resulting in less case volume, less powder for higher pressure to get the bullet moving at good velocity. Recoil is less than commercial +P with the same or better performance. The drawback is they do not load quickly with a speedloader.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Something you want to be 100% sure of before sending off. When I purchased my 9mm Speed Six I was lucky enough to get some Ruger half moons in the deal. Figured full moons would be easy to acquire. WRONG!!! Only one manufacturer that even lists them for the Speed and they are pricey. I grabbed 20 just to have them but it cost me big time. Without the moon clips the gun is virtually useless. Keep us filled in.
A 9mm speed six should shoot without clips, you just have to poke the fired cases out with a pencil or something.

I bought some full 9mm moonclips from TK custom and the hand of the speed six would contact the clip and make the trigger hard to pull or hard to thumb back the hammer.

I clamped the clips between two wood paint stirrers in a vice and ground the center hole bigger with a cone shaped grinding stone made for an electric drill. I did have to grind from both sides.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts