Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a box of american gunner 9mm +p ammo
Since hornaday advertised the velocity as 2,000 fps. I discovered that my box listed the velocity as being 1600 fps. Internet videos listed boxes with 1100 fps. Looking at Thursday's advertising again I noted that 1 listed the muzzle velocity as being 1750 fps.
With 4 different velocities listed I have no faith in hornaday and will continue to use speer 124 grain +p ammo with critical defense in the 2nd magazine. Is american gunner bottom tier ammo? I would have expected hornaday to have eliminated any confusion!!

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
I bought a box of american gunner 9mm +p ammo
Since hornaday advertised the velocity as 2,000 fps. I discovered that my box listed the velocity as being 1600 fps. Internet videos listed boxes with 1100 fps. Looking at Thursday's advertising again I noted that 1 listed the muzzle velocity as being 1750 fps.
With 4 different velocities listed I have no faith in hornaday and will continue to use speer 124 grain +p ammo with critical defense in the 2nd magazine. Is american gunner bottom tier ammo? I would have expected hornaday to have eliminated any confusion!!
Where did this claim appear?
"Since hornaday advertised the velocity as 2,000 fps."

Hornady Critical Duty 9mm Luger+P 135 gr Flexlock claims:
Muzzle velocity of 1115 fps
50 yds 1043
100 yds 987.

I want some of that 2,000 fps 9mm+P

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
RBCD Ammunition Ballistics
Round 9mm
Type TFSP Total Fragmenting Soft Point Ammo
Weight 60
Muzzle Energy ft·lb 539
Muzzle Velocity ft/sec. 2010

Can't find a price for it

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Regardless, I don't think an assailant is going to beat any of them no matter what the velocity of the round. ;)

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
FPS for that ammo is about 1,200 out of a 4" barrel & 396 ft.lb. of energy.

I have loaded their XTP bullet in 2 different weights & it is a good bullet & performs well.

In general, I try to make my practice ammo match the velocity of my carry ammo.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry guys and gals, what was I thinking! Velocities were 1200, 1110, 1160, and 1175. I'd shoot some except our outdoor range has 9" of snow and it's 5° out..

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Ya.... 2,000 FPS is a little ambitious for 9mm.. or most any common handgun caliber.

American gunner seems to be a cheaper alternative to Hornady's Custom line. Sort of a compromise between premium defense ammo and bulk plinking ammo. Still features the great XTP bullets, but costs a lot less to practice with at the range than Custom or Critical Defense.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Owly! Yeah it makes sense. I was just confused seeing Hornaday's name on a product that seemed to be in competition with the custom line. In addition, I couldn't find the answer as to the correct velocity for the 124 grain +p; it was very irritating.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts