Ruger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Before the pandemic...back in March , I bought Remington green box 115grain FMJ for $8.99 per box.
I'm sure it's much more now?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Just got a deal on 1000 CCI Blazer brass 115g FMJ rounds at $384 shipped. Price per box was $17.99 @ Mollys. Shipping was the killer @ $25.
YIKES. That's almost 41 cents a round, and if you live where I do and have to pay state sales tax it would add another 4 cents a round. But even .22lr has more than doubled in price lately. Still, it costs 1/3 to 1/4 per round what the .380 and 9mm do, if you can even find any.

This is TOUGH! And it is especially hard for relatively new shooters who are serious about learning to shoot safely and well but don't have a pile of money!

Hubby gave up reloading over a year ago and sold all his stuff because at 87 years old he was making errors and one does NOT want to reload if one is making errors! Some guys won't give up what has become dangerous but I'm lucky that my guy was sensible.

·
Registered
10 Posts
And it is especially hard for relatively new shooters who are serious about learning to shoot safely
That would be me. I bought my first guns in Jan.

Now I'm like, sh!t, if I want to practice I have to pay out the ass? Pfft.

But at least I got in - both guns and initial stockpile of ammo - before the pandemic. Life could be worse.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
YIKES. That's almost 41 cents a round, and if you live where I do and have to pay state sales tax it would add another 4 cents a round. But even .22lr has more than doubled in price lately. Still, it costs 1/3 to 1/4 per round what the .380 and 9mm do, if you can even find any.

This is TOUGH! And it is especially hard for relatively new shooters who are serious about learning to shoot safely and well but don't have a pile of money!

Hubby gave up reloading over a year ago and sold all his stuff because at 87 years old he was making errors and one does NOT want to reload if one is making errors! Some guys won't give up what has become dangerous but I'm lucky that my guy was sensible.
It was actually .34.3 cents per round.

·
Exchequer
4,484 Posts
I've mentioned this supplier before as I've always had good service from them: LAX Ammo. Don't know how their supply is right now, but they have really great pricing on bulk 9mm reloads. I've ordered from them several times and have never been disappointed with the quality of their reloads (or their new rounds). They also offer free shipping for new customers.

They have 9mm reloads, 115g ball ammo at 500 rounds for about .23 cents per round.

Home page | Lax Ammunition

·
Registered
56 Posts
If you are trying to stock up now good luck. You should already have a stock pile or did you not learn anything during the Obama/Hilary shortage. It won't get better till after the election and corona scare not to mention BLM riots.
Absolutely true, I won't be buying much if any ammo for the duration of this crazy market. But I'll still be shooting every week!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Can you guys give me an idea of the current price for 9mm, 115g, FMJ in bulk or by box round price. Best I see at the moment is around 42.5 cents for name brand ammo. I know its a lot but I am looking to get a 1000 rounds before prices get more dumb and supply get more diminished. Not desperate as I have some but still like to go target shooting!
Go to ammo seek they list all the prices from low to high priced.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Check ammoseek daily. Midway just had blazer for $220/1000.
Deals go quick, but if you need something, monitor frequently and act quickly if you see a deal.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Got in March before the panic at Dick's Sporting Goods.
  • 500 bucket 115g Blazer FMJ for $109
  • 250 115g FMJ Federal
Since then there's been no bulk range ammo at any of my local stores.

Best I can find was $11 per box of 50 FMJ 124g Blazer and Federal Black Pack at Sportsman's.

Weirdly there always seems to be JHP at close to normal price. Maybe not the brand I want but but it's there. I'm guessing it's because there's lots of new gun owners scooping up the cheapest per round ammo regardless of type.

·
Registered
322 Posts
The scalpers are out in full force these days. Before the pandemic, I bought some good quality brass ammo for $160 a case with free shipping. Glad I bought when I did.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I usually go to
Gunbot.net
They allow you to choose a caliber and you can sort by price, then provide a link to a site that I buy from.

·
Registered
220 Posts
That would be me. I bought my first guns in Jan.

Now I'm like, sh!t, if I want to practice I have to pay out the ass? Pfft.

But at least I got in - both guns and initial stockpile of ammo - before the pandemic. Life could be worse.
Don't forget about buying some snap cap/dummy rounds and put a few in each magazine to get the Tap Rack Bang to be a reflex.... only mentioning this cause you said you were kind of new as of Jan. You could run a magazine of them one after the other to get the feel, but you need to practice with live ammo to really get the reflex down. I know it's alittle off the topic but just throwing it out there.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I usually go to
Gunbot.net
They allow you to choose a caliber and you can sort by price, then provide a link to a site that I buy from.
I just looked at gunbot.net and all of their information is way out of date. It shows low prices but shows in stock for items that have been out of stock for a very long time. My experience has been that ammoseek.com stays up to date. I hate most of the rip off prices, but at least it does show actual in stock items. And if you do find one in stock you had best order right that minute because an hour later it is likely to be all gone...........or 10 minutes later in a lot of cases. That is where I found the case of Aguila .22 Super Extra brass plated this past week.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Funny how when you ask this question, there is always somebody who will feel the need to say...."you should have already bought your ammo, or you should be reloading".

Reloading is almost a religion to some.

BTW - I posted in another thread that I found Federal 115, brass, fmj at KYGUNCO for $15/50 limit 2. I am well stocked, but anytime I wander into a LGS with decent prices, I buy a few boxes of something just because. A few days ago I bought 2 boxes of above and 4 boxes of GECO, .38, hollow points for what I consider a pre-covid price.
There is always one.....or two.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you are trying to stock up now good luck. You should already have a stock pile or did you not learn anything during the Obama/Hilary shortage. It won't get better till after the election and corona scare not to mention BLM riots.
fixitagain, Absolutely correct. LGS was $17.99 for Blazer 9mm & .38 Special. Limit 2 boxes of Handgun ammo/day. In this current situation I only replace what I shoot, stock up when not this crazy.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts

Unless I'm missing something also, your math is absolutely correct, it comes out to $0.406/rd, almost $0.41/rd!

21 - 40 of 55 Posts