Ruger Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
SR22 and Security 9
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Font Circle Illustration Visual arts Art

Security 9C. Blazer 9mm Luger, 115g FMJ.
100 rounds total down range in 15 round mag bursts. 20 minutes total time on target. 30' distance.
70 hits on paper, 53 hits on silhouette.

Auto part Circle Font Audio equipment Scientific instrument

Security Six. Remington .357 magnum, 125g JSP.
50 rounds down range in six shot bursts. 10 minutes time on target. 30' distance.
40 hits on paper and silhouette.

I wasn't too interested in holding a sight picture for marksmanship. Basically, once the gun came up from neutral and was sighted on target, even if not perfect, I sent a bullet down range; not speedy rapid fire, but maybe .5-1 sec interval between rounds. 150 rounds in :30min. Short day at the range but I was paying by the hour.

Side note: first time shooting .357 magnum ... what an incredibly powerful beast! Love at first squeeze.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Wow. That security 9C looks sweet!

Seems like a fun range trip. Some of my favorite targets are the "battle ship" shoot-n-see types. Makes you focus on hitting specific squares (or at least specific boats). I usually bring it in far closer than 30 feet to do it, but it's a fun exercise.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Your Security 9c is going to be a little more of a challenge to shoot accurately than larger handguns. My first compact handgun was a G30SF, and my second was a P938. A P365 followed a few years later.

I put a lot of effort into shooting the smallest groups possible with each before moving on to shrinking my splits. Steel plates are great for that exercise. If you do controlled pairs on a 10" plate at distances of 15-25yds, you'll see your speed and precision pick up at 10yds where you were shooting.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm getting larger grips on my SP101 to help make .357 more shootable.

I need adapters to snug up a 17rd mag into the Compact. Ruger store only has the 15rd adapters.

Any suggestions?? :unsure:

·
Registered
659 Posts
OP - Looks like you're pushing your shots a bit left on the pistol and are centered/right on the DA. This very well could be because of the difference in the grips, how you hold it, and where your finger is on the triggers. Overall, not bad.

RFBfromDE - you might try a large rubber O-ring that will fit snug around the magazine but with a small diameter. Put it on from the top of the mag and slide/roll it down to the stopping point. The o-ring should conform to the shape of the mag ok, then the diameter of it will fill the gap. If it doesn't, go with a bit larger diameter until you're happy with how it fits/feels.

·
Registered
349 Posts
How about calling 3' ten yards? You really want to wring one out try head shots on the target at 25yards, One thing for sure shooting at the longer ranges will make shooting errors jump at us,

I have been involved in threads elsewhere where bozo's would all but refuse to discuss distance more than three to five yards. Other's would suggest ranges as in aisles of the Big Box or across church pews. These longer distances are becoming more practical. Personally, I prefer a heavy bullet option for any carry gun. My 357 Magnum loads do 1250 fps with 158 gr. Kieth SWC.s, Taking one of OP's head shots would end excitement right away most likely.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts