Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Favorite 9mm Bullets and Powder For Practice/Range

I'm not ready yet but I'll be in the process of gathering equipment (dies, bullets, powder) to start loading 9mm. I haven't loaded for a while and going though my stuff I found components for loading .357 Mag, namely 600 unused CCI small pistol magnum primers.

I was going to ask if I should I try to work up loads with the magnum primers or just set them aside? Since that's been asked and answered by doing a forum search I'll move on to bullets.

I want jacketed bullets in 115 or 124 and I imagine FMJ will be the cheapest. They will be for practice/range cartridges.

Can y'all clue me in to the what, where, and how much, of your bullet purchases for range use?

I'll be sticking to factory ammo for Self Defense but... Does anyone custom make their ammo for SD?

Thanks fellas.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I personally use small pistol primers. I don't trust myself for SD, I go with the pros.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
I'm not ready yet but I'll be in the process of gathering equipment (dies, bullets, powder) to start loading 9mm. I haven't loaded for a while and going though my stuff I found components for loading .357 Mag, namely 600 unused CCI small pistol magnum primers.

I was going to ask if I should I try to work up loads with the magnum primers or just set them aside? Since that's been asked and answered by doing a forum search I'll move on to bullets.

I want jacketed bullets in 115 or 124 and I imagine FMJ will be the cheapest. They will be for practice/range cartridges.

Can y'all clue me in to the what, where, and how much, of your bullet purchases for range use?

I'll be sticking to factory ammo for Self Defense but... Does anyone custom make their ammo for SD?

Thanks fellas.
I use 124gr. RN plated bullets, as I got 2,000 Berry's for the same price as 115gr.

Xtreme plated work just as well, I used them for a year or so, but got a good deal from Cabela's on the Berry's.

Definitely Standard Small Pistol Primers. Many powders will work, but I have had my best accuracy with that weight bullet & CFE Pistol.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I know you mention that you wanted to use fmj but if you are looking for the best price to stretch your shooting dollar try cast bullets. They really are not the mysterious barrel leading projectiles people make them out to be. you can get 1000 for about 55-60 bucks plus shipping. I liked shooting cast so much I began casting my own.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
cast from Dardas and plated from X-treme. best I have found and reasonably priced. the plated are tougher than my ex's lawyer. use them (180 grain) for my 10mm plinkers up to 1250 FPS.
if you use the magnum primers, reduce your charge and work up gradually. I have done so without issue. just look for any sign of excess pressure. BE CAREFUL. like mom always said, it's all fun and games until someone looses an eye.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tips guys.

I should have been clearer. I'll be leaving the Magnum primer for my .357 when I start loading for them again. I hope to pick up a Ruger Blackhawk in the near future.

While I don't want exact load data, I should have asked for opinions on optimum powders for 9mm too that y'all find perform best. I've got data sheets coming from a few different sources.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
These days, powder is pretty much where you find it. I use a lot of Red Dot in 9mm, with Xtreme plated bullets. A 4 grain charge will give you about 1050 fps with the 124 grain bullet. A friend gave me a bunch of it, and I originally started using it because it's what I had, but I have found that it's a very useful powder in a lot of calibers.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I started using CFE pistol powder and I'm very happy with it.
Jacketed bullets will run you close to $0.10 a piece.
If you are just doing some target practice, plated and coated will do at a much lower cost.
X-treme, Acme, Missouri Bullet Co., Penn Bullets Inc. etc might be a good start.

·
Registered
98 Posts
X-Treme 124 gr Plated, 4.3 gr. of Unique, and S&B primers comes out to $0.11 per round plus brass.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I've been using Berry's or x-treme plated for years , really good bullets and cheaper then most jacketed. But check into "The Blue Bullet" it's a poly coated bullet that works great ! I have put 3k 180gr 40 cal down range so far this summer and just loaded a 2500 batch of 125gr 9mm like I said so far they work great with no leading at a good price.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
I've been using Berry's or x-treme plated for years , really good bullets and cheaper then most jacketed. But check into "The Blue Bullet" it's a poly coated bullet that works great ! I have put 3k 180gr 40 cal down range so far this summer and just loaded a 2500 batch of 125gr 9mm like I said so far they work great with no leading at a good price.
Thanks for the tip on Blue Bullets.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Thanks for the tip on Blue Bullets.
Your welcome , I was at a USPSA match and a guy was using some blue bullets and had to ask about them He had nick named them Smurf Turds ' Ha. I looked them up "The Blue Bullet" and got 500 to start with and then ordered a bunch more . They seam to chrono out faster than the plated do , more like lead with out the leading . When I need 45's I will try some 230 gr also.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I use the RMR (Rocky Mountain Reloading) hard core match bullets in 124 gr. They cost about 8 cents each after shipping. Great product and great company to deal with.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I should have name the topic - Favorite 9mm Bullets and Powder - if the mods what to change it, be my guest.

Regardless, thanks guys, very knowledgeable crew we got here and fantastic suggestions from all.

Really appreciate all the help to get me started again on a fun hobby. Just what I needed.

Smurf Turds indeed, got to try them.

Ed

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
I'm just beginning 9mm so I'm watching this. I have a test batch of Xtreme 124gr hp plated over Longshot

·
Registered
134 Posts
we shoot these 125gr Hi-Tek coated by the buckets full in a G34 and my other assorted 9mm over 4gr CSB-1 or 3.8gr Titegroup (about 1025fps easy shooter) seated as long as you can get to chamber

they come from Black & Blue Bullet Co.
pick your color
pick your size

the bulk pricing is great
and thats FREE SHIPPING

tell Tony the guys from Chippewa Falls sent ya!!

my fave 9mm bullet is
this 147gr CNFP over 3.7gr WSF or 3.5gr CSB-1 also seated as long as you can

1 - 20 of 26 Posts