Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father has been looking for a nice 9mm pistol for either concealed carry or just a night stand home defense gun. I want to surprise him with one for a Christmas present and my budget is $600. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
P95 remains an outstanding value.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just looked into the Ruger SR9 and it looks outstanding. I really like the black/ stainless steel. What is the difference between synthetic grips and glass filled nylon?

·
Retired Moderator & Jazz Nerd
16,351 Posts
In the price range you're considering, I would also look at a CZ 75b, or if concealed carry is the ultimate goal, a CZ 75 Compact or a CZ 2075 RAMI. Excellent pistols in my experience.

·
Retired Moderator & Jazz Nerd
16,351 Posts
I have looked at the cz 75b and i really like it too. i have heard great things about it as well.
While they typically have above average out of box accuracy, with a sight upgrade and a quality trigger job, they can compete with some far more expensive pistols.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
In the price range you're considering, I would also look at a CZ 75b, or if concealed carry is the ultimate goal, a CZ 75 Compact or a CZ 2075 RAMI. Excellent pistols in my experience.
Dang Buck, beat me to it. :)

CZ 75 hands down IMO. Get one in any configuration and he'll be happy with it. Outstading pistols! I absolutely LOVE my 75B SA. That is the one handgun that I will never sell. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
SR9c

I absolutely love my SR9c. With your budget, you could buy him some nice accessories. Plus you have the versatility of the 10 round or 17 round magazine.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
My two cents worth, the SR9c would give him flexibility with concealed carry. And you could add a nice rail light for use on the night stand. And still have change left over.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I agree with the SR9/SR9c suggestions as well as the P95. I have all and they are great. I'd go with the Rugers as my first choice, with that I'll add my 2 cents...

with a $600 budget you might also be able to find a Beretta 92fs/M9. I think they are great guns (although some would disagree, they have been the military sidearm of choice for 25 years now), but would be on the high end of your budget. The Beretta PX4 series (full size, compact or subcompact) would also be a great choice. All of those have great sights.

Also, the Smith and Wesson M&P series are great 9mms. Check this website out. It has nice reviews of 9mms

The Best Nines - Best 9mm Pistol Site handgun review test gun dealer auction

·
Wandering Sandlapper
3,282 Posts
Walther PPQ if you can find one.

Sig P290RS if you want something small enough to pocket carry.

·
Sr. Exec. Button Monkey
625 Posts
I'm going to say the Walther PPQ. Again, if you can find one.

The SR9 has a solid reputation, but I've never handled one.
I like the CZ 75's, and you may want to check out the Sig SP2022 as well.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
I'd go with an SR9c or an XDm9c 3.8". I've got both. I love the SR series but the XDm9c is more accurate and just as nice a trigger. But it's going to be at the top of your budget, whereas the SR9c will leave you some money for a holster, laser, extra mags and/or ammo.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
You can't go wrong with a Ruger SR9/SR9c, made in the good old *US of A*. Actually made in Arizona where laws still count! You'll be able to get him a nice holster for CCW too, well within your budget!

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I just looked into the Ruger SR9 and it looks outstanding. I really like the black/ stainless steel.
I have the exact one. Can't say enough great things about it. You should go and handle one, feels great. The SR9c is another gem worth considering.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
I just looked into the Ruger SR9 and it looks outstanding. I really like the black/ stainless steel. What is the difference between synthetic grips and glass filled nylon?
There's really not that much difference. The glass filled nylon seems a bit softer to me, but that's just a seat of the pants test. All of these poly or glass filled synthetics work just about the same. I find the grips on the SR series more comfortable in my hand when I compare it to the poly in my Springfield XDm's. I wouldn't throw that into the equasion unless one feels much superior to you. The stippling on the XDm's are much more aggressive which helps you maintain a better grasp than on the smoother, softer nylon filled.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
1 - 20 of 45 Posts