Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping that on the Ruger Forum one or two may actually own the pistols, what other than price is the difference between the SR9 or SR9e and the Security 9?
Going back and forth and 'round and 'round between the S&W MP9 2.0 compact and the three Rugers. Manual safety is a must.
Thanx!:)

·
Registered
189 Posts
If you are looking to do after market mods buy the M&P. If not I would buy the SR9. If price is the issue, but the Security 9.

Ruger American compact wit safety might be an option for you too.

·
Registered
773 Posts
SR9
I do have one, but the decision is based on track record, it has a good one!
More history than the sec.9 disclaimer:
I’m not bashing the security 9, just saying the SR has been around longer & I have had great results with mine.

·
Banned
195 Posts
The SR9C is just one very lovely shooting firearm, and a very serious build quality. Really nice sub-compact that can convert with a magazine to a nice duty gun with a 17 round magazine. Feels so smooth and balanced in the hand. Ruger really got this one right.

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
2,625 Posts
I tested and shot all the SR series and the S&W MP9 2.0. All are fine firearms. Depending on your needs and fit. I have the 9E and have had no issues with it, runs good, more accurate then I expected and for the price it can not be beat. I compared the Security9, S&W and the SR9/9E/SR9c and went with the SR because it seemed better built for the range IMHO. Any SR series Ruger is a great buy for the money. Good history on the SR series and good support from Ruger.
*The S&W MP9 2.0 shot great for me but the cost vs. the 9E sealed the deal. I have no regrets going with the 9E and love it. The Ruger just felt better in my hands.
*My friends that have the Security9 have had real good outcomes with theirs and they just feel great out of the box. Turned out to be good buys for them.
* Good advice here on the forum. Ask questions, rent or shoot all if you can. Look at the RAP/RAPC as well. Get what you want and good luck.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
I imagine you are fine with the cost of any of your options, I prefer the S&W, especially the 2.0. That said, its so personal, so make sure you handle each of them side by side and you will find yourself drawn to one who seems to handle a little better, even if your brain tries to resist and keep an open mind.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
IMO the SR series have a far superior trigger to the M&P, Security or American series.

I've got a 9E and SR9c and haven't found a better stock striker fired trigger.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
The SR pistols and the M&P have steel chassis. These are striker fired. The SR pistols have a shorter trigger stroke. Other than that they are very similar.

The Security 9 has an aluminum chassis. It is hammer fired. I can't speak to the trigger as I haven't fired one.

The Ruger American Pistol also has a stainless steel chassis that is removable. It is striker fired with a trigger roughly halfway between the SR and the M&P. This is more heavy duty than the other 3 and the weight of the gun shows it.

All are fine pistols, with the Security 9 being the bottom feeder in this group, and the prices you see should reflect that. In the end, get the one that fits, points and shoots better for you. Don't let price be the main factor. At best, price should be a tie breaker.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
IMO the SR series have a far superior trigger to the M&P, Security or American series.
Certainly not my experience. I owned an SR9 and M&P9 1.0 in the past and currently own an SR9C and an M&P9 2.0.

My SR9C has been a very reliable gun but the trigger is not at all good as was my previous experience with the full size SR9.

The M&P9 1.0 had a mediocre factory trigger and the 2.0 had a somewhat better OEM trigger, but both were better than either SR. I now have an Apex sear and striker block in the M&P 2.0 and it made a world of improvement.

My choice would be the M&P 2.0 in either full or compact size if I could only have one.

Now another consideration, the SR9 series was dropped by Ruger a while ago and is back only as South Sports Distributor Exclusive. How long that support will last and if the guns will remain in Ruger's line after that is questionable. The 9E is long gone.

Finally, the M&P has been a very successful line for S&W and is well supported by both S&W and the aftermarket. Also, it is used by numerous government and LEO agencies, something the SR and American guns never achieved.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Certainly not my experience. I owned an SR9 and M&P9 1.0 in the past and currently own an SR9C and an M&P9 2.0.

My SR9C has been a very reliable gun but the trigger is not at all good as was my previous experience with the full size SR9.

The M&P9 1.0 had a mediocre factory trigger and the 2.0 had a somewhat better OEM trigger, but both were better than either SR. I now have an Apex sear and striker block in the M&P 2.0 and it made a world of improvement.

My choice would be the M&P 2.0 in either full or compact size if I could only have one.

Now another consideration, the SR9 series was dropped by Ruger a while ago and is back only as South Sports Distributor Exclusive. How long that support will last and if the guns will remain in Ruger's line after that is questionable. The 9E is long gone.

Finally, the M&P has been a very successful line for S&W and is well supported by both S&W and the aftermarket. Also, it is used by numerous government and LEO agencies, something the SR and American guns never achieved.
I am surprised at your experiences. I have fired a couple of the M&P 1.0; currently own a shield 2.0; 4-5 SR9 or SR9C and an SR45 as well as 3 different RAPC. I know that trigger preference is personal, but my experiences are:
The M&P 1.0 had a long spongy trigger pull with an acceptable break
Both the RAPC and the shield 2.0 have a much shorter and cleaner pull with an very good break. I have NOT fires a standard M&P 2.0, but would expect the trigger to be similar to the shield
All of the SR pistols I have fired had a very short, clean pull with a break that was surprising due how sudden it was

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
I am surprised at your experiences. I have fired a couple of the M&P 1.0; currently own a shield 2.0; 4-5 SR9 or SR9C and an SR45 as well as 3 different RAPC. I know that trigger preference is personal, but my experiences are:
The M&P 1.0 had a long spongy trigger pull with an acceptable break
Both the RAPC and the shield 2.0 have a much shorter and cleaner pull with an very good break. I have NOT fires a standard M&P 2.0, but would expect the trigger to be similar to the shield
All of the SR pistols I have fired had a very short, clean pull with a break that was surprising due how sudden it was
My observations are similar to you.

I have a SR9 (was my father's..has about 400 rounds thru it) and my SR9c has more than 7000 rounds fired thru it. The trigger has smoothed out and is one of the best pistol triggers I have.

There is a reason that S&W came out with the 2.0 version. When spending much time at the S&W pistol forms, one of the big complaints was the crappy trigger. Apex made a killing selling better trigger parts.

And yes, the 2.0 triggers are better but still aren't as

·
Registered
189 Posts
Might I add that before I went back to a Glock subcompact for my EDC, I was carrying a SR9c. It never malfunctioned once.

Honestly, the only reason I stay with Glock for EDC is for the after market stuff. It’s the Honda Civic of Guns, lol. If I didn’t tinker with my weapons, I’d have zero issue carrying a Ruger again. The only other manufacturer offering as good of a bang for the buck like Ruger is Canik.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Go with the Hammer

Hammer over striker for me.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Honestly, the only reason I stay with Glock for EDC is for the after market stuff. It’s the Honda Civic of Guns, lol.
Which is the same argument I made for the M&P. They are not as overwhelmed by aftermarket stuff as Glocks but are a not-too-distant second.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Which is the same argument I made for the M&P. They are not as overwhelmed by aftermarket stuff as Glocks but are a not-too-distant second.
I said the same thing in my original post as well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts