Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm a new SR9 owner and I'm looking for a good deal on quality ammo for personal/home defense.

After doing some research, I've read good things on Federal 147gr HST JHP, and I've found a 1000 Round case on bulkammo.com for $575. Is this a good deal? Is there better defensive ammo available for cheaper elsewhere?

1000 Rounds of Bulk 9mm Ammo by Federal - 147gr JHP

Thank you for your advice!
Da5id

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Brandon04GT! I'm pretty new to this, I hadn't seen that site before.

So the deal to beat is $490 for 1000 Rounds of Federal 147gr JHP. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Larry gets points for effort, but I'm looking for in stock deals only! Thank you Larry!

·
JarheadLifer
318 Posts
I would save some money and buy 115gr FMJ rounds for shooting paper. You don't need that many HP rounds unless maybe your trying to take over Cuba or something. I have about 300 rounds of HP's on hand to load for defensive purposes.

·
Banned
29,619 Posts
Sounds like a good deal. I have never been enamored of the 147 grain hp unless for use when very deep penetration is needed much more than I want in a home defense situation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You don't need that many HP rounds unless maybe your trying to take over Cuba or something.
:D I hear Cuba is nice this time of year.

I do have a supply of cheap 115gr FMJ for use at the range. I am looking to have a stockpile of decent HP ammo on hand though.

·
Banned
650 Posts
It really depends on where you live. If you live in an urban area you will be better served by spending extra money on a few boxes of hollow point ammo. You need a round that you can fire in good conscious. According to studies done by ER doctors hollow points don't exit the bad guys body and sometimes they fail to penetrate enough to reach vital organs.

On the other hand if you live in a rural area you will be better served by FMJ ammo. With a 9mm FMJ ammo is far better for self defense. Hollow points are not going to create an exit wound. There is no way the little bit expansion or energy dump is going to do more damage than a round that has over 24" penetration and breaks large bones.

·
Banned
650 Posts
Thank you, you saved me the time pointing this out, plus $12 something for fmj range ammo is WAY too much!
The 147 grain flat nose is a very effective round. But you can get 124 gr Aguila for around $10. The 124 gr Aguila is a hot load only 50 fps slower than NATO 124 gr FMJ winchester rangers.

If you are going to shoot 147 gr hollow points it's kind of silly to practice in with 115 gr ammo to save a few bucks. You should practice with the same weight of ammo you intend to use when the SHTF.

I shot a nuisance doe yesterday with 9mm 147 gr flat nose FMJ at about 15 yards. The first shot penetrated both shoulder blades and put the doe running on her chin. By the time I got over the fence she was about expired. I did shoot her in the head to finish her off.

When I cleaned the doe her heart and the front portion of her lungs were like jelly. No, I didn't get a lot of meat off the front shoulders but the rest of the doe is in fine shape for frying. If I had my P95 loaded with hollow points I doubt the kill would have been that clean or retrieving the deer would have been that easy.

To sweeten the pot since the doe was on a veterinarians property I was able to get a DPR tag and didn't have to waste one of my doe tags.

Why doesn't the OP just use ammoseek or or one of the other ammo search engines. You can set it to sort by price per round. In 30 seconds I found 9mm 147 Grain Hydra-Shok for $470 for 1000 rounds shipped and in stock.

http://www.unammo.com/#184
http://ammoseek.com/?gun=handgun&cal=82&type=defense&grains=147&mfg=5&keywords=&sortby=cpr

·
Registered
150 Posts
At the local gun shop Win Ranger-TS 147gr HP $24.95 (50 rounds).
I keep 300 WWB 115 FMJ for target and emergency.
50 SD ranger TS 147 HP for EDC. Eight rounds loaded and a spare Mag.
If I'm mugged or a home break in and I don't end it with 8 rounds I'll probably never know it anyway.
Of course if I could afford it I'd probably have 1K of each.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Wally World...

Picked up a 100 round box for 27.89 Remington JHP 127gr.
I've been picking up one box a month, and use my FMJ for range practice, and keep the JHP for HD. 3 mags loaded when I go out, 1 loaded, and 2 in my purse. I also have a box of 50 I can throw in my purse if needed.:D

·
Registered
104 Posts
I am not sure why anyone would need or even want 1000 rounds of self defense ammo? Looks like their target ammo is priced lower than Walmart at just over .20 round. Walmart is about .26 cents.

·
Registered
815 Posts
SGAmmo is the place to start your searchs. no need to waste your time elsewhere.

Do you need 1000 personal defense rounds? that's a pricey buy. Also, for defense, look at double tap.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts