Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 357 Blackhawk convertible and I am verry proud of it and how good I was with it when I got used to it and shot it every weekend. Anyways I have this big magnum capable revolver with a 9mm cylinder and it's the only 9mm I have so I want to make some 9mm magnums for it has anyone on here attempted this? I already have all the tooling

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
I'll wish you luck right off.
I won't say it can't be done, just that I gave up on the effort to get mine to shoot ANY 9mm ammo into groups that I wasn't ashamed to have pulled the trigger on.
Maybe something has changed since 76 when I spent about a year tinkering with the project.

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,577 Posts
If you're talking about trying to make "Ruger Only " level 9mm ammo it is unwise to try. The small case capacity of the 9mm means factory ammo already runs at high pressures. The cases will blow out if you try to make it something it's not. Are you talking about having the cylinder bored to 9x21mm? Please explain what you want and why. You already have all the options in the world with .38spl std and +P, .357 magnum, and the many types of 9mm loads.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Are you planning to re-chamber the 9mm luger (9X19) cylinder to 9mm Winchester Magnum (9X23)..." I have all the tooling" or merely hot load the 9mm Luger case .

The devil is in the details in this case... what are you planning ?
Gary

·
Registered
376 Posts
Years ago when I shot USPSA matches everyone was using .38 supers to make major. I had a Glock 17 at the time and wanted to convert it to shoot 9mm major which comes out to be a 9 magnum. I tried a variety of loads but found a few loads that made major.

Sorry I can't help you because I don't recommend it. I ended up cracking the barrel on my Glock due to the pressures.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts