Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The headline on this P89 review is great!
Ruger P89 Review: Like a 9mm Mullet

My first gun was a KP90DC and yeah, I'd say calling it a mullet gun is fitting!

Long live the P guns!

·
Premium Member
1,377 Posts
I got a chuckle out of the post. Poor P guns must have an inferiority complex. Truck gun, tackle box gun, tool box gun and glove box gun. Like they could not be shown in public. And now, a mullet gun. WTH! :)

·
Registered
286 Posts
I had a P89 in '92. Grip was too big, and it seemed like I couldn't hit the barn from inside. Was early in my gun education. I sold it. Now I realize I should have kept shooting it. If I had, I'd still have it today.

·
Registered
39 Posts
That article reads like it was written by someone who was born after Ruger ceased manufacturing and selling the gun. I read a LOT of 80's and 90's automobile stories that are clearly written by someone who got their driver's license in 2016, and expect everything to have wifi, heated seats, and fifty cup holders.

Ruger sold a butt-load of P89s. The accessory companies offered nothing for the P89. Based on how much the gun was shunned by everyone else in the industry, there should have been the one they sold me, a couple that no dealer was ever able to sell and were eventually ground up for recycled steel and aluminum, and no more. But they are still showing up in good to mint condition. Heck, the fact that they are showing up as anything better than a basket of parts, gives plenty of proof that there were a lot of them sold. Just, no one ever talked about them or admitted they owned one. (Sound familiar? Have you hung up on a political poll taker in the last couple days?)

"It's heavy."
Yeah, and no one ever described them as snappy like the plastic guns. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. Refresh yourself on physics.

"It's bulky."
It is exactly the correct size to throw lots of lead with complete reliability and total comfort of the operator. You don't cram a full sized frame pistol into your bikini briefs and expect it to be invisible, and you don't park a Lincoln Town Car in the little parking space marked "For Compact Vehicles Only".

"It's too big for my hands."
You know what they say about men with small hands...
No one ever said: "This thing could really use a pinky extension, because I can only get two fingers onto the grip".
More seriously, average sized hands here. Having no problem holding onto a P89. In fact, I love the Hogue grips with the raised finger separations.
How many times are a person's fingers supposed to wrap around a pistol grip for that person to say they can hold it comfortably?

"The first trigger pull in double action is so long."
Reach your thumb up and pull the hammer back, you lazy child.

I did not know the P85 was Rugers first automatic. I would guess that in 1985/6, all the experienced firearms owners at that time took a wait-and-see attitude on the P85, and never revisited the subject through the end of production of the P95. All those sales went to first time gun owners or first time pistol owners. A lot of people who did not regularly go to the shooting range or make it their life goal to own one of every firearm for the value of the experience. And for all the "laser blaster" looks of the P85 and P89, it wasn't a Glock, and Glock was throwing money at law enforcement contracts and product placement in movies. If it wasn't Austrian plastic, it wasn't fashionable. I get a lot of enjoyment reading JonRugerInWA's IDPA shooting competition stories, and hearing about how hard it is to get a Glock to feed ammunition that the P89 chews up and spits out, effortlessly. But, fear not, you can buy ten different versions of any accessory you want for a Glock. Except for one thing: something to make it feed ammo like a P89.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I had a P85 MKll and it was a great gun. I regret selling it every time a Ruger P series conversation comes up.

Reactions: turnkey

·
Registered
8,089 Posts
I would never ever refer to any of my P Series pistols as mullet guns ... for shame for shame ...
my P90 makes this half blind old crippled guy look like a better shot than he really is ... just sayin'

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
If the P-series had "Made in Germany" stamped on it, the gun writers would have gushed all over it.

Big? You mean, like a 1911?
Heavy? You mean, like a 1911?
Reliable? You mean, not like some 1911s?
Heavy trigger? You mean, like a good revolver?
Pure propaganda.

·
Registered
64 Posts
A guy in my national guard unit bought one of those in the late 80s. I never shot it but did dry fire it a few times. Ughhhh , that thing had the trigger pull of a kids cap pistol. A very old dirty one at that.. It did seem to have one very positive defensive posture though. If you threw it at an assailant and hit him in the head he would drop like a rock

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
109 Posts
From the review: "Is it reliable? Well, this example chugged through two cases of assorted ammunition with zero maintenance and zero malfunctions of any sort."

Yep, just like we old timers have been telling you all along. 😄 Not a bad review and I did get a few chuckles, though I do agree with much of mouse's assessment.

·
Exchequer
4,589 Posts
Ha! Mullet gun. That is funny.

I kind of agree. I didn't buy my beat-up, old P87 for its looks. I bought it based on the numerous positive reviews and the love shown to the P series here on this forum ...and glad I did. I still think it's kind of unsightly, but I won't part with it.

·
Super Moderator
21,342 Posts
I never went the 9 MM route but my P94 in .40 S&W loves to put the bullets right where I'm looking at 25 yards. The only failure I had of any kind was with a pregnant reload and clearly was not the pistols fault.

·
Registered
8,089 Posts
Ha! Mullet gun. That is funny.

I kind of agree. I didn't buy my beat-up, old P87 for its looks. I bought it based on the numerous positive reviews and the love shown to the P series here on this forum ...and glad I did. I still think it's kind of unsightly, but I won't part with it.
well I assume you bought your P87 because of the rarity of it ... even I don't have a P87 ... would love to see a picture of that rare model ... :sneaky::sneaky::sneaky::sneaky::sneaky::sneaky::sneaky::sneaky::sneaky:

·
Exchequer
4,589 Posts
well I assume you bought your P87 because of the rarity of it ... even I don't have a P87 ... would love to see a picture of that rare model ... :sneaky::sneaky::sneaky::sneaky::sneaky::sneaky::sneaky::sneaky::sneaky:
'Doh! Meant to say P85. My excuse is: the first P series was designed in 1985 but not available for sale until 1987. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. :oops:

·
Registered
8,089 Posts
'Doh! Meant to say P85. My excuse is: the first P series was designed in 1985 but not available for sale until 1987. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. :oops:
LOL ... I like that story ... 🧐🤑

1 - 15 of 15 Posts