Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get a couple Ruger 9mm's What are the differences between the 9E and SR9c? What did you guys pick up and why? What about the LC9? I will probably grab the 9mm LCR to go with whatever auto I decide on.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I have an SR9C and an LC9S. I like both, but for different reasons. The SR9C is a little thicker then the LC9 because it is a double stack, 10 rd magazine. I usually carry it in the cooler months. The LC9 is thinner, 7rd, but is very concealable with just a T-shirt. I told my wife I needed it as a "summer gun". Both are striker fired so trigger pull is pretty much identical. Just my opinions.

Dewayne

·
Registered
97 Posts
FWIW

I'm new, but did read a lot before deciding. I went with the LC9. I sometimes think I might like the LC9s better because the trigger is easier. But then again, being a newbie, I reasoned that the longer harder trigger pull on the older model would be safer to carry and all the reviews I read were very favorable. Also, being on a limited budget, it was the most "bang for the buck" I found available locally.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think either choice is good, but both would be better.

I love my SR9c a lot. There is a size price to pay vs. a lcp9, but they have different missions. The SR shoots like the full size gun it is an a capacity of 10/17. The LCD carries easier. So it all depends on which is more important to you. Yeah, you better get both.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Do you want to carry concealed or is this not an issue? If concealed carry look into the LC9 (just my preference). If you want a reliable range gun, you can't go wrong with a P95 or a P95DC.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
Looking to get a couple Ruger 9mm's What are the differences between the 9E and SR9c? What did you guys pick up and why? What about the LC9? I will probably grab the 9mm LCR to go with whatever auto I decide on.
You need to decide what you are doing with the semi-auto before proper recommendations can be made.

Is is a range/target pistol or for CCW?

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
As has been noted, the 9E/SR9 would be a good range/home defense choice. SR9c could serve roles of range/home defense/concealed carry. The LC9/LC9s are generally concealed carry. Although, I am sure you will find people who carry a 9E/SR9 and you will find folks who use their LC9/LC9s for home defense.

They are all good firearms, along with S&Ws, Springfields, Berettas, and a lot of other 9mm handguns. Best thing to do is find a range where you can rent guns and try out several before you decide. And whatever you choose, I hope you like it, shoot it often, and have fun.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I have the SR9c and the P95.

SR9c is smaller highly reliable and makes for a better CCW weapon.

The P95 is a good bit bigger and is highly reliable and makes for a great nightstand drawer weapon.

If was in the market for one 9mm and it would do both Home and CCW duty, I would go with the SR9c.

The 9E, I do not have one, but based on the SR9 like it is, it would be a great home defense gun I would bet.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
I have the SR9c and the P95.

SR9c is smaller highly reliable and makes for a better CCW weapon.

The P95 is a good bit bigger and is highly reliable and makes for a great nightstand drawer weapon.

If was in the market for one 9mm and it would do both Home and CCW duty, I would go with the SR9c.

The 9E, I do not have one, but based on the SR9 like it is, it would be a great home defense gun I would bet.
+1 to what he said!

·
Registered
18 Posts
An SR9c, an LC9s and an LCR9 pretty much has the handgun necessities covered. And quite well I might add.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,549 Posts
SR9C Is a great first Ruger for me.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I wanted an Sr9c ended up with a Springfield xd9sc, wanted a LC9 ended up with a Smith n Wesson M&P Shield9

I love Ruger but I went with what felt right in my hand. So that being said make sure to handle and shoot other pistols if possible you may find something you like better.. Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
765 Posts
You are right about the feel. I've got the P89, SR9c and the LC9s. All different, all fun to shoot.

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
I
I wanted an Sr9c ended up with a Springfield xd9sc, wanted a LC9 ended up with a Smith n Wesson M&P Shield9

I love Ruger but I went with what felt right in my hand. So that being said make sure to handle and shoot other pistols if possible you may find something you like better.. Good luck with your choice.
How they fit your hand is important.

When I was looking at 9mm double stacks 5 years ago, I looked at the Glocks, Springfields, S&W and chose the SR9c cuz if fit me better. No issues and 5000+ rounds fired.

I'd been looking at the S&W Shield and XDs since they came out when I was considering a 9mm single stack. LC9 hammer version wasn't on the list cuz of the trigger. I held and fired several Shields and never really like the trigger.

When the LC9s came out I waited for a while so some of the early issues were resolved and bought one last Feb.(Both the Shield and XDs had recall issues early on). 1500 rounds thru it with no gun issues.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have an SR9c and an SR1911 CMD Lightweight. I can carry concealed the SR9c with the full 17 round magazine no problem.

Height - 5'7"
Weight - 180lbs
Holster - IWB Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 2.0
Holster Position - 3:30 to 4:00 (Depends on what I'm wearing).

I can carry the 1911 as well in certain clothing as well. I carry that in an Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.0.

The SR9c is my workhorse though. Love the trigger and the way it feels in my hand.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I

How they fit your hand is important.

When I was looking at 9mm double stacks 5 years ago, I looked at the Glocks, Springfields, S&W and chose the SR9c cuz if fit me better. No issues and 5000+ rounds fired.

I'd been looking at the S&W Shield and XDs since they came out when I was considering a 9mm single stack. LC9 hammer version wasn't on the list cuz of the trigger. I held and fired several Shields and never really like the trigger.

When the LC9s came out I waited for a while so some of the early issues were resolved and bought one last Feb.(Both the Shield and XDs had recall issues early on). 1500 rounds thru it with no gun issues.

So far both have been extremely reliable and tough. I think the upgrades made to the LC9s are for it to compete directly with the shield.. Gave it a better trigger, steel guid rod.. It's a good dun.
The grindy trigger on my shield smoothed out after around 100 rds..

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I think I am sold on LC9 and LCR9 now any good resources on the differences between SR9/SR9c/9E?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts