Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be picking up a new P89 next week. I like to reload, but have never reloaded for a 9mm before. I am planning to start with 124gr. Speer Gold Dots and 124gr Hornady XTP's. What powders would you recommend ?

Thanks

·
Registered
253 Posts
HS6. I use 7.2 grains behind a 115 gr. JHP that equals factory velocity and meters like a dream.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have also used AA #9 with good results.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I like the ecconomy of Bullseye in .38 and .45acp. Been using 4>4 1/2grs under a 115JHP in my P-89 since I bought it in 1992. It's a little dirty, but that's why I have cleaning supplies... :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
HS-6 for 115 gr. bullets, and Blue Dot for 124's... for good reason.
The load data is available free from both Hodgdon and Alliant. I look closely at pressure vs. velocity for all of the listed powders, and I find that these are the two top performers for the bullet weights involved.
My "standard" load is mixed brass with Winchester standard primers, and 7.7 gr. of Blue Dot behind the Remington 124 gr. Golden Saber in a P-95. This gives me at or just over 1,200 fps.
Especially with the smaller capacity of the 9mm round, I say it really matters not whether you get 900 or 1100 rounds per lb. of powder. This is by far the least of your expenses, and the difference between the cost of one powder over another is just plain negligible. Check this:
http://www.brassfetcher.com/9mm%20Luger.html
These results are much more significant, IMO, than any other aspect. The Golden Sabers cost just about half what the GD's do, and perform a good sight better. Saving a dime each by choosing a better bullet matters much!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have had good results with W231 and AA5
Yah, I like the AA5 too. Seems more consistent than any of the others I've tried.;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.