Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To the folks reloading 9mm....... What powder , primers , and bullets do you use? What combination do you find the most economical with good results?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Powder 231, Federal or Winchester Primers( buy 1000), Berry Plated Bullets 115 RN , Winchester Brass ( range brass if checked watch out for Russian stamped)

·
Registered
49 Posts
I use Bullseye powder, Winchester primers if I can get them, if not any small pistol primer, and Montana Gold 124 FMJ and Bootheel Bullets 124 Lead RN.
I sort my cases by head stamp and reload in batches of the same head stamped cases.

elrondo, is right you have to check the cases for .380 ACP and 9x18 mak, if your picking it.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Power Pistol powder, WSP primers and 115gr. FMJ or JHP bullets. I reload all range brass after close inspection, have loaded a few CCI aluminum cases with good results. Anything berdan primed or steel case is recycled as scrap.

·
Registered
137 Posts
9mm

I use 231 powder, federal primers, and dardas 125gr cast bullets to be economical. have been using berrys bullets-115gr for some time and I am pleased with them also, they just cost more.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Power Pistol powder, WSP primers and 115gr. FMJ or JHP bullets. I reload all range brass after close inspection, have loaded a few CCI aluminum cases with good results. Anything berdan primed or steel case is recycled as scrap.
Thanks.. what are berdan primed ? How can I tell.?

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
cast lead bullets, 124 grain, Red Dot powder, 4.0 grains, mixed cases, and Winchester primers when I can get them.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I have been shooting the same 9mm load for years in my P95 and LC9 works great with low recoil .
Berry's Bullets 124gr RN @ 3.7gr Titegroup with 1.125 COL = 1030fps (P95). I always use Winchester primers .
Good Luck , Be Safe and Have Fun !

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I use Bullseye powder, Winchester primers if I can get them, if not any small pistol primer, and Montana Gold 124 FMJ and Bootheel Bullets 124 Lead RN.
I sort my cases by head stamp and reload in batches of the same head stamped cases.

elrondo, is right you have to check the cases for .380 ACP and 9x18 mak, if your picking it.
380 ACP, 9x18?? Are you saying I should not accidentally use these when range picking?
Thanks

·
Registered
49 Posts
380 ACP, 9x18?? Are you saying I should not accidentally use these when range picking?
Thanks
Thats what I'm saying.

.380acp will be easier to pick out but the 9x18s are very close, I stand all mine up and inspect the heights, this also makes it easy to pick out any split cases.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I use Penn Bullets 147 gr. with 4.6gr. Power Pistol - yes, that's a heavy load. I use whatever brass I pick up at the range and whatever primers I can find when I need primers. Obviously, I'm not a Bullseye shooter.

·
Larry the Conservative
5,458 Posts
Powder 231, Federal or Winchester Primers( buy 1000), Berry Plated Bullets 115 RN , Winchester Brass ( range brass if checked watch out for Russian stamped)
Elrondo and I agree 100% on our 9mm loads. :D:D

·
Banned
619 Posts
brigond, safety is a much greater issue than economy. Some of the powders recommended are quite fast in burn rate and can be double-charged in a case if you're not very careful. What I would recommend is a powder that will give you performance like factory ammo but will overflow out of the case if you did accidentally double-charge. What I recommend is Ramshot Silhouette which is a great powder for 9mm and the .40 S&W as well. It is treated for flash as well. It's probably the lowest flashing powder available to the handloader today and it also has a lower flame temperature to help extend the life of your barrel. If you can't find it locally, another good choice would be Winchester WSF. Both of these powders are spherical and will meter very well. ;)

·
Reloading Addict
10,714 Posts
I've had great results with Hornady, Everglades Ammo,and Speer TMJ plinker bullets and all I use for powder is Titegroup which works great for me.

·
Reloader
4,138 Posts
I use Win 231, Winchester primers, Berrys 115gr and 125gr bullets and brass is from a place here called Brass Exchange. I have used this in over 2000 rds and it seems to work for me.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts