Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Why don't 9MM fit in my 9MM SP101? They get in about half way. Do I have to have it bored out somewhere/how? And, if so, why not just build it that way? Seems like that would be an extra step that I would've liked to have know prior to purchase. Thanks IMG_4697.jpg IMG_4699.jpg IMG_4700.jpg IMG_4698.jpg

Two different brands, both won't fit in cylinder. (obviously I would normally use moon clips). The serial number has it listed as a 9MM SP101. I've contacted customer service and they want me to send it in. I'm leaning toward assuming that this a quality control issue. Thank you all for your help!

·
Registered
496 Posts
I'd be shocked if Ruger let a less than 100% firearm out the door.:eek:;):unsure::cry:

Obvoiusly, if you bought a 9mm, should take 9mm. Give Ruger a call. They are very happy to fix your new firearm.

Am I jaded by their poor quality....yes, yes I am.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Something tells me there is more to this story.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd be shocked if Ruger let a less than 100% firearm out the door.:eek:;):unsure::cry:

Obvoiusly, if you bought a 9mm, should take 9mm. Give Ruger a call. They are very happy to fix your new firearm.

Am I jaded by their poor quality....yes, yes I am.
I don't follow your sarcasm? Will they be happy to fix it or do you not care for their quality? or all?

·
Retired
164 Posts
When the cylinder is made the operator has a gage to check depth and size. When it is assembled they use a plug to check for gap of cylinder. It is then taken to the range and test fired. After test is completed it is brought back, final inspection is done and boxed for shipping. Like rammer said, please post pictures

·
Registered
21 Posts
Why don't 9MM fit in my 9MM SP101? They get in about half way. Do I have to have it bored out somewhere/how? And, if so, why not just build it that way? Seems like that would be an extra step that I would've liked to have know prior to purchase. Thanks
I think we would all assume that your "9mm ammo" is just that, and you checked the case head to be sure. Perhaps you had some other caliber stored in a 9mm marked box. Given you are using SAAMI 9mm ammo then I am going to go way out on a limb here and say, yes, it should fit in a 9mm revolver. If not, Ruger quality control has failed dismally,,,,,,,,, again. Yes, I like Ruger firearms. Yes, I wish they would correct their quality control issues. Yes, you should phone Ruger customer service.

·
Exchequer
4,435 Posts
The pointy end of the bullet goes in first. :p

Seriously, if there's a problem and your SP 9mm somehow made it out of the factory when it shouldn't have, let ruger CS know and they'll make it right.

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
2,583 Posts
Good luck with Ruger. Any updates when issue resolved would be appreciated.
*Something does not sit right with this failure to chamber.

·
Cat Herder
1,579 Posts
Can you show a pic of the right side of you SP101? Cause that cylinder doesn't look cut for moonclips. Here is a photo of a moonclipped SP101 cylinder from the internet. Notice the ring?

Here is your cylinder:

I don't see a ring for moonclips.

What does the firearm say on the side? In your edited post you said the serial is listed as 9mm, but you should go by the gun roll stamp/engraving.

Also a tip- the new forum jumps to the last unread post, so when you edit the original with important info no one sees it unless they scroll up. The photos answer several questions and raise others, they are important, make them a new post.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just tried 9mm in my 357 sp101 and it looks just like your photo, ld say it's a 38 or 357

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
I just tried 9mm in my 357 sp101 and it looks just like your photo, ld say it's a 38 or 357
I wondered but was too lazy to try that.
I'd say it could have some collector interest as a oddity if it's marked 9mm with the wrong cylinder.:oops:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Can you show a pic of the right side of you SP101? Cause that cylinder doesn't look cut for moonclips. Here is a photo of a moonclipped SP101 cylinder from the internet. Notice the ring? View attachment 144103
Here is your cylinder: View attachment 144104
View attachment 144105
I don't see a ring for moonclips.

What does the firearm say on the side? In your edited post you said the serial is listed as 9mm, but you should go by the gun roll stamp/engraving.

Also a tip- the new forum jumps to the last unread post, so when you edit the original with important info no one sees it unless they scroll up. The photos answer several questions and raise others, they are important, make them a new post.
It is stamped .357 Magnum and has no mooncip ring. So it's the wrong model, thanks.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts