Ruger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
So did a gun store or private seller misrepresent what they sold you? Not trying to be rude but if is stamped 357 Magnum on the barrel, what gave you the idea that it was intended to shoot 9mm?
This is my first revolver and my first Ruger, so I was not aware of its markings. Prior to purchase and researching, I was unfamiliar with the whole moonclip ring on the cylinder. Plus, with COVID rules BS, it was extra difficult to handle and inspect. The serial number specifically has it documented as an SP101-5783 9MM, so I don't blame the store (although they could have inspected it more closely). It was a mixup at Ruger. Bubba, probably, as was previously stated

Seriously, thanks everyone. This is a great community that I'm grateful to have stumbled across.

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
2,519 Posts
Glad you got this sorted out. These SP101's in any caliber are a good choice so I hope you can get to a point you can work with and use the firearm. Keep us informed and take some time to get to know your Ruger. Ask questions and get some advise on your decisions. You may just like the 357 but if 9mm is what you want keep at it. Update us when you can. Good luck, it will be worth it in the long run. Be safe.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
This is my first revolver and my first Ruger, so I was not aware of its markings. Prior to purchase and researching, I was unfamiliar with the whole moonclip ring on the cylinder. Plus, with COVID rules BS, it was extra difficult to handle and inspect. The serial number specifically has it documented as an SP101-5783 9MM, so I don't blame the store (although they could have inspected it more closely). It was a mixup at Ruger. Bubba, probably, as was previously stated

Seriously, thanks everyone. This is a great community that I'm grateful to have stumbled across.
WoW! That really sucks! So sorry you got snookered. I do feel the gun store has some responsibility in this. For what it's worth, I own a 2-1/4" SP101 .357...that's a true joy to shoot. I put .38Spcl thru it mostly.

·
Cat Herder
1,549 Posts

If you've got the box and it says 9mm and the serial number on the box label matches the firearm, you might give Ruger a call if you really want the 9mm. The 357 is a great gun, but if yours is messed up there could be a whole batch messed up. It isn't unheard of for things to be labeled wrong at a factory.

·
Retired
161 Posts
I would definitely call Ruger Monday morning. Let them make it right. Was this a used or new gun? If it's used, i wonder why someone changed the cylinder? Again call Ruger Monday morning

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I would definitely call Ruger Monday morning. Let them make it right. Was this a used or new gun? If it's used, i wonder why someone changed the cylinder? Again call Ruger Monday morning
New. I spoke with them Friday back when I thought something was wrong with it, and was sending it in already. Now hoping they will replace rather than fix

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
What a royal screw up somewhere in the process.

Good thing Ruger has such great customer service. They'll get you taken care of.

·
Registered
74 Posts
New. I spoke with them Friday back when I thought something was wrong with it, and was sending it in already. Now hoping they will replace rather than fix
Tell 'em just to send you a new 9mm cylinder. Cylinders are easily interchangeable (I did it with a Speed-Six), and a decent pistolsmith can help you work out any timing or endshake problems. Then you'll have a convertible DA revolver! (I'm almost 100% sure that Ruger won't go for it, but it doesn't hurt to ask.)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Now the question is.... is the barrel for a 9 or a 357?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Retired
161 Posts
YUP. 9mm = .3543307 inches. Now when you bore a barrel, you probably have a +/- .005 tolerance. When you do the grooves inside the barrel you probably have the same +/- tolerance. So, using the same broach is used to do rifleings.

·
Cat Herder
1,549 Posts
I think the OP basically was told it was a 9mm, the serial number showed as 9mm, but the barrel is marked 357 and the cylinder is a 357.

We haven't yet figured out some details. Did he buy it new? If so what does the box say?

·
Retired
161 Posts
Since it's serial number is for 9mm, they will most likely replace barrel with lasered 9mm on it and replace cylinder with 9mm. This way serial number stays with OP and less paperwork.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
On post 18 aholtze stated that the barrel is marked .357 mag. On post 26 he stated that the gun was purchased new from a dealer. The gun was manufactured as a .357 magnum and delivered as such. However, aholtze states that the serial number indicates that it is documented as a 9mm. Does that mean that the box and the gun show the same serial number? What is the documentation and where did it come from? Was it stated as such on the original box, did the dealer represent it as a 9mm revolver, or did Ruger provide the information? If it’s from the box, the dealer or associate may have switched the boxes by mistake. Regardless, the dealer is required to post his transfer in his records showing the caliber. This sounds to me like a dealer foul up rather than a Ruger problem. Aholtze should contact his dealer to resolve this issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Ruger received the firearm and is going to replace it with new 9MM. Already enroute to my dealer.

Some of the comments above leave me with a few more questions; the box it came in was very general and constructed for a much longer revolver. Also had no specific markings. Is that common for Ruger? I would've assumed it would come in a nice individualized case. Anyway, it's getting taken care of. Thanks again to All.

·
Cat Herder
1,549 Posts
Ruger received the firearm and is going to replace it with new 9MM. Already enroute to my dealer.

Some of the comments above leave me with a few more questions; the box it came in was very general and constructed for a much longer revolver. Also had no specific markings. Is that common for Ruger? I would've assumed it would come in a nice individualized case. Anyway, it's getting taken care of. Thanks again to All.
Gray plastic with a sticker on the side that has model number and serial is typical. That box gets used with several different models or versions. It works but that's about it.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts