Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just had to post a few pictures of my latest pick up. SP101 in 9MM
Sack Peterson Elk Panels, Meprolite night sight, and a Wolf Spring kit. I have it just the way I wanted.
Very happy guy with this one.
TJ

Attachments

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Sweeeeet!~

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Im jealous, I wanted an SP101 9MM for quite a while. I decided to give up, and buy a Taurus 905. Its been a great gun, but I was a little nervous about buying a Taurus. I think 9mm revolvers are a great idea, and have been really happy so far with the idea of the 9mm revolver. I have an extra 3" .357 SP101 and I have been thinking about having it converted to 9mm. I also would like to see the Ruger LCR in 9mm. I think that would be great also. My 905 is my current avatar pic. Youve got a Ruger Six in 9mm if I recall correctly, right?

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Very nice! If I crossed paths with one of those I wouldn't hesitate to snatch it up in a heartbeat. Love your mods - panels, sight and springs. All my SPs and GPs seem to end up with different grips, sights and Wolff Shooter's Paks. Congratulations on a real sweet SP!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks very much for the compliments. I've put 300 hundred rounds thru the gun to test the new springs. Different brands of ammo, and my favorite carry ammo. No issues at all. Very lucky in that respect, seeing as I installed a 9 LB hammer spring, and an 8 LB trigger return spring.
My 2 other SP101's are in 357 mag and they were iffy with the 9 LB Hammer spring. Work very well with the 10LB and the stock trigger return spring. Tested with various brands also, including some with CCI primers.
Weblance. Yes I do have a 2 3/4" Stainless Speed Six in 9MM Only mod I made on that one was an install of a Millett red ramp front sight. My older eyes needed it.
TJ

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I see that Charter Arms makes a 9MM snubbie, (as well as a .40cal), but I've heard that nobody's ever seen any for sale anywhere whenever they look for one. Apparently, it's one of those things that exists that doesn't really exist. :confused:

I wouldn't mind checking out the CA, but I haven't been too impressed with Taurus' offerings as of late.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Thanks very much for the compliments. I've put 300 hundred rounds thru the gun to test the new springs. Different brands of ammo, and my favorite carry ammo. No issues at all. Very lucky in that respect, seeing as I installed a 9 LB hammer spring, and an 8 LB trigger return spring.
My 2 other SP101's are in 357 mag and they were iffy with the 9 LB Hammer spring. Work very well with the 10LB and the stock trigger return spring. Tested with various brands also, including some with CCI primers.
Weblance. Yes I do have a 2 3/4" Stainless Speed Six in 9MM Only mod I made on that one was an install of a Millett red ramp front sight. My older eyes needed it.
TJ
TJ, I'm running the lightest springs in 2 SP101s and 2 GP100s and have yet to have a light strike or ignition issue and I've tried most every common brand of ammo and handloads. I love the light springs but they're not everybody's cup of tea. I have an old 150 series Six (RDA-32) that I want to try some springs in - any suggestions? I've heard Bullseye are good if you can find any. Does Wolff have a Shooter's Pak for the old Sixes and have you tried it?

Wave

·
Registered
77 Posts
Glad to hear a review on the 9mm revolver. I would like my first revolver to be one. I like the LCR 9mm idea as well. I'm sure everyone will enjoy seeing your new gun. Great photos. Have fun with it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
That is one sweet little wheel gun! Love those grip panels. I've been wanting a 9mm revolver for a while now, there's a like new Speed Six snubbie for sale locally that I've been drooling over for the past few months, just a little out of my price range at the moment, but I think I like your SP even more. Add one more to the list I guess.

Thanks for sharing the pics.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wave,
I havent tried any reduced power springs in my Speed Six.
I just took a look at the wolf spring site. They do have a shooters pack for the Speedsix, but it doesnt stipulate whether it fits the 150 series guns. You may want to call wolf and see if they can give you a solid answer.
TJ

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Congrat's...that is one SWEET-LOOKING little revolver!!! A 9mm SP101 is definitely on my want list...but the price tag always seems to be a little out of reach!

That's set-up like my SP101 in .357...Meprolight Night Sight...Wolff Spring Kit (10# each)...and a Badger Custom Boot Grip!

Enjoy!

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Wave,
I havent tried any reduced power springs in my Speed Six.
I just took a look at the wolf spring site. They do have a shooters pack for the Speedsix, but it doesnt stipulate whether it fits the 150 series guns. You may want to call wolf and see if they can give you a solid answer.
TJ
Thanks TJ - I'll give them a call and see what they have to say.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Being totaly honest, with the Elk Panels, the Meprolite sight, the spring kit, and initial cost of the gun, I have $775 invested. Not cheap for a little 9MM. Hey you only go around once in this life.
TJ

·
Registered
151 Posts
I see that Charter Arms makes a 9MM snubbie, (as well as a .40cal), but I've heard that nobody's ever seen any for sale anywhere whenever they look for one. Apparently, it's one of those things that exists that doesn't really exist. :confused:

They do exist, saw one in my LGS for less than $400, $360 or $380, can't remember for sure. Would have picked it up but want a longer barrel, my eyes are not what they use to be.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I also like the idea of an SP101 in 9mm. I've been looking for a .357 locally and haven't had much luck. If I must resort to online auction maybe I should look for the rarer 9mm. I understand moonclips are to be used with the rimless cartridges. Apparently this is not a PITA?

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Being totaly honest, with the Elk Panels, the Meprolite sight, the spring kit, and initial cost of the gun, I have $775 invested. Not cheap for a little 9MM. Hey you only go around once in this life.
TJ
WHOA!! TJ - the last thing you should be doing is adding up how much money you spend on a gun. Never a good idea..... (besides Mrs. ironhorse doesn't need to know these things.)

:D

·
Wandering Sandlapper
3,282 Posts
Congrats TJ, my 9mm SP is easily my favorite revolver.

Just love the way that 9mm round feels when it fires in that frame.

I put a green fiber on mine, but may rethink the night sights. Nice grips you have there!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
WHOA!! TJ - the last thing you should be doing is adding up how much money you spend on a gun. Never a good idea..... (besides Mrs. ironhorse doesn't need to know these things.)

:D
Wave, I hear you. Maybe I dont want to really know what I've got invested.
Very fortunate, the Mrs. never seems to mind my gun addiction. Lucky in that respect.
TJ

1 - 20 of 23 Posts