Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to hear about 9mm machine gun ammo that was lots hotter than most pistols needed.....the other day I saw 9x19------I've always seen 9x18---could someone enlighten me? Will both fit the same gun and feed?---are some chambered for one-some the other? Pistol ammo seats in the chamber on the rim, does that make a difference?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Common 9mm... 9mm Luger/Parabellum is 9x19. Not sure what this 9x18 stuff is you've seen.

There is a hotter load out there... 9x21. Seems like that one is primarily used by the speedshooters for competition.

Maybe someone else can enlighten us?

·
Registered
842 Posts
The 9x18 is the Russian cartridge for the Makarov pistol and copies and also the Stechkin, a selective fire type. Less powerful than the 9x19 but it has become more popular in the last few years due to the reasonably priced Makarov pistols that you can find. Also more reloading components now.

·
Registered
216 Posts
quote:Originally posted by btrumanj

The 9x18 is the Russian cartridge for the Makarov pistol and copies and also the Stechkin, a selective fire type. Less powerful than the 9x19 but it has become more popular in the last few years due to the reasonably priced Makarov pistols that you can find. Also more reloading components now.
BINGO! After my post here, I couldn't get that 9x18 designation out of my head. Knew that I had seen/heard of it before, just couldn't remember.

Thanks for the heads up! :)

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought the Makarov round was lots shorter than the Parabellum-never handled them. Thanks! I've had them reversed-thought 9x18 was the common Parabellum- 9x19....9x19----got it now.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Then it'd be rattling around and not work in the x19, right,not like .38/.357 and .44 Spl/.44Mag---the case length is the headspace decider. I never reloaded .45, but I think I remember that.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
It's a 9mm case firing a .380 bullet I beleive. Something like that. I know they bring them in by the box full at the gun shows down here. Pistols are $129 if I remember right. Kind of high for a paper weight.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've never fired a Makarov-kinda like a Radom---why when good guns abound and I'm worth the difference.....click loses to bang every time!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
At the gun show Sunday they had them in pistols to AK looking guns. Priced from $109 to $259 for the AK contrapshion. Wife picked one up when my back was turned I made her go wash her hands. I will never buy Wolf ammo to boot.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Some of the people over at The High Road forum seem to reaslly like the Makarov pistols especially the prices. I've looked at a few on display but never handled one. Think maybe if I wanted a gun that size would consider a Bersa in .380. Even though Ruger manuals OK steel hull ammo for P seris pistols I never use it. I have shot a bit of Wolf along with a lot of Chinese Norinco and some Russian ammo through my SKS rifle with no problems and pretty good accuracy. Might even be better if the trigger was better on that particular gun.
Baker

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
btrumanj, would that wolf ammo be ok in m-1 carbine. my good friend just bought a carbine and is considering buying 1000 rounds of wolf at 87$ a 500 round package. he wanted ball ammo for plinking and general shooting, figures it wouldn't hang up as easy as softer bullets. I've never shot any foreign brands except aguila.

·
Registered
842 Posts
white dog, you know I'm not positivlely sure but think it might be fine. The only possible thing could is, it might be hard on the exractor but the steel used in the cases is softer than that of the extractor and it doesn't seem to hurt the many SKS rifle with thousands of rounds fired through them. The carbine it's self was designed as a military weapon and is a tough little sucker. Seems like I remember a bit written by Jeff Cooper on some steel cased ammo used by US forces near the end of WW11. Maybe some else here will know more.
Baker

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Thank you btrumanj, I'll relay this info to him tomorrow when we go walking. We couldn't find any at a real small gun show last saturday in Walla Walla Wa., however theres a bigger show here in Kennewick next sat. and sun. I was able to find a snubbie in .38 that I,ve been wanting for some time at that gun show. Thanks again

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Stumbled onto this old post - the bullet diameter of the 9 x 18 Marakov is .363-.364 as opposed to nominal .355 for 9 x 19/parabellum/luger.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Sheepdog, 9x18 won't fit 9x19, neither 9x21. 9x18 bullet is also very roundish so the ammo is about 5mm shorter overall. Take a look:

9x18 vs. 9x19 (caliber is all the same, different scale used on left and right)

9x19 vs. 9x21 (the same scale on both)

·
Registered
170 Posts
There was a 9x19 L7A1 Hirtenberger NATO round that was used in the British Army version of the H&K MP-5 submachine gun. Supposed to have a velocity of 1500fps and over 50,000 psi of pressure! That would probably be too much for any 9mm pistol.

·
Registered
146 Posts
9x17 = 380 ACP (usually uses lighter 9X19 bullets
9X18 = MAK Bullet is larger in diameter than 380 or 9X19
9X19 = Luger or Parabellum (usually uses heavier 380 bullets)
9X21
9X23 (Largo ?)also a 9X23 Winchester which is different in power (very high)
Do not fire sub gun ammo in a handgun unless the gun and ammo is designed for it, some sub gun ammo is very hot!
This is correct if my brain is still working, YMMV.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.