Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s well known that in its basic/simplest form, condition yellow (CY) is being aware of your surroundings. It’s good to be in CY 24/7 but for me it continually takes practice for it to become second nature or automatic and without being too conspicuous in doing so. Notice I said “too conspicuous”: I think being a little (reasonably) conspicuous is a good thing because it portrays you as in a state of awareness and readiness (condition orange) which can make you a less likely target to criminals.
For me it’s easier to be in CY when going into most environments than it is already being there because once you’re there, the situation gets dynamic with people coming and going and sometimes from many different directions.
Over the years I’ve found myself “off-guard” several times when suddenly I notice a person nearby that I didn’t see come into “my space”. It’s happened at stores where I was focused on an item (reading the label etc) when suddenly there was a person standing near or behind me. Or when at a stop light a person appears that is harmlessly crossing the street but comes very close to my truck and my window is open. There are other times too that I’ve learned a lesson and thank God I didn’t have to learn the hard way.
Take care and be safe!

·
Banned
2,189 Posts
It's always smart to keep situational awareness in public, especially if you have to go where you're not permitted to carry or if headed to a bad part of town Those are the only times I feel 'naked'. Thankfully in Georgia, there aren't too many places anymore where I can't carry.

"Keep your head on a swivel" and "Watch you six" is always smart.

·
Registered
6,775 Posts
I agree & try to have a certain no nonsense walk in parking lots where anything could happen. As a gal, I developed my public "presence" a long time ago. I have been "caught off guard" twice in the last couple years & am still peed at myself. But the situations quickly brought me back into CY reality. I learned & lived another day, I was lucky. Now days you don't even have to be in a bad part of a city to have disaster strike. Everyone should be alert at all times to exits in buildings, different roads to take from shopping in case a disaster has happened on your usual route, simple things that could save your life. The list goes on & on, but is now second nature to me.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
When out in public I try to stay in CY, keeping an awareness of life around me, staying in tune for any odd sounds to the area I'm in, scanning my immediate location 360 degrees at a leisurely but determined pace, etc.

I do this just so I know what's happening around me, so if something does go awry I'll hopefully know instinctively how to react / respond. This way about me is even more AMPED UP when my wife, kids, grand-kids are with me.

I am so amazed at the amount of people you notice when out in public who are clueless about their surroundings...aka potential victims...

Next time you're somewhere in public try a little people watching, you'll see...

·
Registered
148 Posts
It’s well known that in its basic/simplest form, condition yellow (CY) is being aware of your surroundings. It’s good to be in CY 24/7 but for me it continually takes practice for it to become second nature or automatic and without being too conspicuous in doing so. Notice I said “too conspicuous”: I think being a little (reasonably) conspicuous is a good thing because it portrays you as in a state of awareness and readiness (condition orange) which can make you a less likely target to criminals.
For me it’s easier to be in CY when going into most environments than it is already being there because once you’re there, the situation gets dynamic with people coming and going and sometimes from many different directions.
Over the years I’ve found myself “off-guard” several times when suddenly I notice a person nearby that I didn’t see come into “my space”. It’s happened at stores where I was focused on an item (reading the label etc) when suddenly there was a person standing near or behind me. Or when at a stop light a person appears that is harmlessly crossing the street but comes very close to my truck and my window is open. There are other times too that I’ve learned a lesson and thank God I didn’t have to learn the hard way.
Take care and be safe!
I read this, this afternoon and thought about it all evening. I have always lived that way, and some of it comes from some learned things I dont even think about anymore. I grew up in Central Florida, on 5 acres, next to a 2 section ranch. The people who owned the ranch were good friends of my family, and I had permission to crawl every inch of it. So I grew up in the woods and the swamps. Then when I became an adult, I worked as a land surveyor most of my adult life. And a lot of that time was training and supervising other people. Its weird. I am the guy who sees the rattlesnake, and stops the other guys from walking on it. And believe me, in grasslands, they are well camouflaged. It's something I learned as a kid. And it does not stop there, with just rattlesnakes. I have this knack for seeing things that are dangerous, and being aware of my surroundings. It has served me on large construction sites, and in bad parts of cities. Still serves me today. I fall into an observational mode, that is kind of hyper aware of my surroundings. It is unconscious. I just kind of do it. I attribute it a lot to my upbringing, growing up running around in some really wild country. I am not trying to brag. It is just something I do. Of course I am cautious too. I have a good sense of calculating risks in what area I am going into. I attribute that to my upbringing too. Part of why I am now armed, is because, when I was younger, I was a really strong and intimidating man, but now, I know I cant trust my body to do what I could when I was young. That falls under accessing risk.

·
Registered
148 Posts
What galls me now, I have to worry about safety in my own home, more than ever before. There is a gang of up to four men right now, that have done multiple home invasions randomly in the city where I live. That was not something to worry about before about 3 years ago. Unless someone was involved in drugs or something else illegal. Now they seem to be targeting older folks looking for prescription meds. I have dogs too, and that will always help. But I also have the Ruger P95 in my night stand, and the 380 in my office.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.