Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got this from Michael Banes blog. Sounds like a good idea to me. Wonder why no one ever thought of it before?

Above is answer to life's most vexing question, i.e., what's the crummiest thing about a 1911. The answer, of course, is the grip safety, which often appears to have a mind of its own. As a person cursed with grily man hands, I have occasionally found myself standing on the line in a competition dutifully pulling the trigger while nothing happened, leading me to perform a TAP-ROLL-RACK clearance drill like a well-trained puppy. Far too often, the culprit is not a stoppage but a slightly less than fully depressed grip safety. In the Real World, the consequences of such are potentially much greater than just looking like an idiot in front of all your friends and having your Custom Doo-Dah 1911 Master Blaster shrivel with embarrassment.

My old friend Wayne Novak, Lord High King of the Novak Sight, has the answer, which he cleverly calls The Answer...a single unit combination mainspring housing/beavertail. Viola! You can't miss the grip safety, because it's no longer there!

I believe these are going to find their way only most, if not all, of my 1911s...at least the ones I shoot a lot.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
And Adam said to the Lord "yep-she's beautiful-but could you put this over here and that over there and take this off and put that on?" You can't make the best better by taking things off-in my years of shooting-never had a problem with a grip safety-leave it alone...learn to shoot it right and his problem would go away-reckon maybe the guy who makes these new gadgets just needs a reason so we can buy them? Lots to do for a 1911 without re-designing the basics. That safety has saved lots of bacon.....just my oldfart opinion.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
quote:Originally posted by sheepdog

And Adam said to the Lord "yep-she's beautiful-but could you put this over here and that over there and take this off and put that on?" You can't make the best better by taking things off-in my years of shooting-never had a problem with a grip safety-leave it alone...learn to shoot it right and his problem would go away-reckon maybe the guy who makes these new gadgets just needs a reason so we can buy them? Lots to do for a 1911 without re-designing the basics. That safety has saved lots of bacon.....just my oldfart opinion.
Guess I have to agree - to me a condition 1 1911 is a scary thing without the grip safety. 25 years ago I had a Star PD...ultra compact, adjustable sights, alloy frame 1911 type with no grip safety. That was the only thing I didn't like about it. How about trying one with the 'memory bump' at the bottom of the grip safety. IMO that solves the problem of no bang but gives you a little extra margin of safety.
Tom

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
The purpose of this tool is to propell a projectile to another object in space and destroy that object...

If this tool does not perform that task, it is considered broken... It should be the users responsilblity to safely use the tool and to keep others from trying to use the tool if they don't understand the results of the tool performance...

This is why they don't put grip safties on claw-hammers. If I drop my claw-hammer, I understand it will hurt my foot if it hits it. If I miss the nail, I understand it will pain my finger if it hits it. I understand if I throw it at some object, it will destroy the object...
I keep my hammer in my tool box so others will not try to use it, even though they don't understand it's intended use and performance.

When I actuate my claw-hammer, I expect it to perform the intended function... I educate children and others how to safely operate the tool, before they are granted access to the tool...

I beleive that you should treat the problem, not the symptom... By adding devices to the tool to prevent the symptom, and keeping the tool from performing its intended function is foolish... Preventing untrained users from having access to the tool is smart... and treats the problem, rather than the symptom. My $0.02.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, to add a little to my original post, I used to have a Star BM 9mm pistol that was an obvious 1911 clone, and it had no grip safety. It had a mag disconnect that I took off too. The gun workded flawlessly and I never missed the grip safety or the mag disconnect! I kept the gun for a year or two and sold it. The only reason I got rid of it was it was a tad on the heavy side for that size a 9mm, being an all steel gun, that and I am a hopeless gun trader. But, I wondered then why no one made a "real" 1911 without the grip safety. I mean, Ruger and Sig (I know they do on their 1911s, I mean their other pistols) and Glock and many others don't put them on their pistols. I know the 1911 was designed from the start with this feature, and probably liability concerns stops people from taking a perceived safety off of an established product.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
IMHO I think I will leave well enough alone and go with Sheepdog and the rest of the men on this one. Gunman I know you know the mechanics of the 1911 well enough to fix that safty and make it work like it's suppose to. Please just fix it and leave well enough alone. I don't like even a remote chance of one of you guys getting hurt. JB already invented the gun that way. Lets just keep it working right.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
quote:Originally posted by gunman42782

Well, to add a little to my original post, I used to have a Star BM 9mm pistol that was an obvious 1911 clone, and it had no grip safety. It had a mag disconnect that I took off too. The gun workded flawlessly and I never missed the grip safety or the mag disconnect! I kept the gun for a year or two and sold it. The only reason I got rid of it was it was a tad on the heavy side for that size a 9mm, being an all steel gun, that and I am a hopeless gun trader. But, I wondered then why no one made a "real" 1911 without the grip safety. I mean, Ruger and Sig (I know they do on their 1911s, I mean their other pistols) and Glock and many others don't put them on their pistols. I know the 1911 was designed from the start with this feature, and probably liability concerns stops people from taking a perceived safety off of an established product.
If you are intent on removing/disabling the grip safety, it used to be fairly common for gunsmiths to pin it so that it was always disengaged. I've seen several done that way, and it seems to work OK. It's actually a task you could perform yourself with a little care and patience.

Given a proper holster...one that puts the strap/thumb break between the frame and the hammer it can be safe. It just makes me a bit nervous. I am personally acquainted with 2 LEO's who managed to make a new crack in their butt, carrying 1911's in condition 1, using a Mexican style carry.
Tom

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am not intent on removing the grip safety on any of my personal guns, I was just posting that Wayne Novak is going to make new 1911 guns without the grip safety!!!!!

·
Registered
2,619 Posts

I am not intent on removing the grip safety on any of my personal guns, I was just posting that Wayne Novak is going to make new 1911 guns without the grip safety!!!!!
Don't you hate it when you try to just pass on a little info and dummies like me jump all over it? Sorry![:I]

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I read it---carefully-I still have the same opinion. Different strokes for different folks---or so I've been told.;)

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I just love dogmatic opinions coupled with analogies-RNettles, you nailed it!!

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Yeah, Baldy-a perforation in the area most likely to be impacted could put global warming in the shade---don't want nobody gettin' hurt!!

·
Registered
557 Posts

My old friend Wayne Novak, Lord High King of the Novak Sight, has the answer, which he cleverly calls The Answer...a single unit combination mainspring housing/beavertail. Viola! You can't miss the grip safety, because it's no longer there!
Here's a link to "The Answer" on Novack's web site. http://www.novaksights.com/what's_new.htm#NOVAK_ONE_PIECE_BACK_STRAP_ANSWER

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I am to old for changes and I am just going to stick with what I know. I am sure that a major gunsmith like him can change a lot of things on a pistol, but I am going to leave mine alone.
Hey Gunman I am not jumping on you as heck what do I know. Good luck with what ever you want to do.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I once read somewhere that when John Moses was designing the 1911 he did so without a grip safety. However when he turned over his design to the Army they wanted a grip safety. So John capitulated and redesigned and included a grip safety.

If you will notice Brownings next pistol design which looked somewhat like a 1911 had no grip safety. It was called the High Power.

P.S. I ate, slept, danced and loved my 1911 when I was in 'nam. It was my constant companion. It stayed under my pillow every night while visions of sugar plums danced in my head. I now have five of them in various configurations. Like the m-1 it is the best battlefield pistol............ever.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Yes, I heard that story as well, Stinger...

But, I keep my USP compact cocked and locked, and it has no grip safety. U get used to it....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts