Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello folks, i found a decent deal at a gun show yesterday on a .380 LCP. $269 new. It’s more at my local gun shops. I’ve been eyeing various pocket sized/micro guns for a while due to summer CCW desires and needs, such as hot weather, shorts, and tshirts. Any suggestions on magazines, ammo selection, grips etc? I read hogue grips may be good. There may be an extended mag out there?

At the gun show I bought 150 rounds of PMC Fmj and 20 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense. I’ve heard the latter is good.

·
Registered
Mk II, Wrangler, LCPII .22 LR, EC9S, Security 9, P-85, RAR .17 HMR + .22 LR, + 10/22 Sporter
1,966 Posts
Hello folks, i found a decent deal at a gun show yesterday on a .380 LCP. $269 new. It’s more at my local gun shops. I’ve been eyeing various pocket sized/micro guns for a while due to summer CCW desires and needs, such as hot weather, shorts, and tshirts. Any suggestions on magazines, ammo selection, grips etc? I read hogue grips may be good. There may be an extended mag out there?

At the gun show I bought 150 rounds of PMZ Fmj and 20 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense. I’ve heard the latter is good.
View attachment 157825
Congrats! No longer have my LCP, but when I did, I'd stagger HCD, FMJ, HCD, FMJ when I loaded the mag to work around the penetration bad rap you hear about .380s. Was a retired LEO gave me the idea. Not sure if it works, never been shot by that caliber in that particular order. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
That's a great price! I gave a little over $300 from LGS a little over a month a go. Great little shooter.

·
Administrator
22,777 Posts
First off congrats on the new pistol. When you take it out let us know how it goes. I carry jacketed flat points in mine. Figure it will make a mess as it penetrates but still get where it needs to. Not based on anything other than my humble opinion.

·
Registered
103 Posts
They are snappy little buggers to shoot, but if it has to be really small and really work, the original is hard to beat.
Before adding anything that makes the gun bigger, thus defeating its purpose, shoot it. It's not a range gun or a target gun; shoot it enough for proficiency, but all you really need to carry it is an Alabama pocket holster.
Moon

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's a great price! I gave a little over $300 from LGS a little over a month a go. Great little shooter.
How do you like it? Yes, my LGS has them for about that price. That’s why I jumped on this price. At the gun show, other vendors were selling them at more like our LGS’ prices.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They are snappy little buggers to shoot, but if it has to be really small and really work, the original is hard to beat.
Before adding anything that makes the gun bigger, thus defeating its purpose, shoot it. It's not a range gun or a target gun; shoot it enough for proficiency, but all you really need to carry it is an Alabama pocket holster.
Moon
I agree with that, shooting it a bit stock. Going into it I knew it wouldn’t be a target gun. I just want a summer carry micro type gun.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
How do you like it? Yes, my LGS has them for about that price. That’s why I jumped on this price. At the gun show, other vendors were selling them at more like our LGS’ prices.
I had a little trouble with mine initially. FTE/FTF...sent it back to Ruger where they installed new slide and barrel. It has been problem free since I received it back. It's surprisingly accurate for such a small sight radius and crappy sights. I bought as a BUG and for the its stiff trigger as I intend to pocket carry only without a holster.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Just curious, what made you choose the original LCP over the LCP II or the LCP Max? Was it price? Or size? Or both?
Academy (big box store in my area) carries the LCP for $250, the LCP II for $329, and the LCP Max for $379. Fairly big jumps in price between the LCP and the other models.

Glad you were able to find some ammo to go with it! When I bought my Max, I had two boxes of ammo and the stores didn't have any! Luckily I have been able to find some at normal retail prices since the first of July and build up a reserve of 10 boxes.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just curious, what made you choose the original LCP over the LCP II or the LCP Max? Was it price? Or size? Or both?
Academy (big box store in my area) carries the LCP for $250, the LCP II for $329, and the LCP Max for $379. Fairly big jumps in price between the LCP and the other models.

Glad you were able to find some ammo to go with it! When I bought my Max, I had two boxes of ammo and the stores didn't have any! Luckily I have been able to find some at normal retail prices since the first of July and build up a reserve of 10 boxes.
It was totally the price. Otherwise I would have got a S&W bodyguard or Lcp max.

I had looked at them all. Initially leaned toward the Bodyguard. But it’s going for over $400 in my LGS.

Also there are no big box stores inside of 40 minutes from me, and BassPro the closest is often sold out of much. So, for your prices you cited at Academy, add $50 except the Max, which is $399 at my LGS.

I read the LCP I is just as reliable as the rest, albeit with a stiffer trigger and lesser sights. However, I wanted to just have a basic pocket BUG, and I wasn’t sure how much I wanted to invest in .380 yet. If the LCP wasn’t rated as reliable, I wouldn’t have bought it and would have stepped up to a different one.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Having had all three, I frankly rate the original as more reliable by a nose. My II suffered a dead trigger, and the Max had some defense rounds it didn't like. The LCPs always ran, even with a fair amount of shooting, mine and some friends.
Doesn't mean I wouldn't trust the newer versions, but I think there may be a reason Ruger keeps making the original.
I snagged a lightly used LCP from a buddy for a C-note.
BTW, still counsel a pocket holster, especially the kydex ones...the padded ones are thicker. It will smooth and hide the gun's shape, and it will present the grip to your hand, rather than have it turn upside down. And it is safer to have the trigger covered.
Moon

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Having had all three, I frankly rate the original as more reliable by a nose. My II suffered a dead trigger, and the Max had some defense rounds it didn't like. The LCPs always ran, even with a fair amount of shooting, mine and some friends.
Doesn't mean I wouldn't trust the newer versions, but I think there may be a reason Ruger keeps making the original.
I snagged a lightly used LCP from a buddy for a C-note.
BTW, still counsel a pocket holster, especially the kydex ones...the padded ones are thicker. It will smooth and hide the gun's shape, and it will present the grip to your hand, rather than have it turn upside down. And it is safer to have the trigger covered.
Moon
Good feedback. Yes, I agree about pocket holster. It came with one from Ruger. I also want to get a really simple iwb holster for it.

One bummer is there is only one mag in the box

·
Registered
47 Posts
It was totally the price. Otherwise I would have got a S&W bodyguard or Lcp max.

I had looked at them all. Initially leaned toward the Bodyguard. But it’s going for over $400 in my LGS.

Also there are no big box stores inside of 40 minutes from me, and BassPro the closest is often sold out of much. So, for your prices you cited at Academy, add $50 except the Max, which is $399 at my LGS.

I read the LCP I is just as reliable as the rest, albeit with a stiffer trigger and lesser sights. However, I wanted to just have a basic pocket BUG, and I wasn’t sure how much I wanted to invest in .380 yet. If the LCP wasn’t rated as reliable, I wouldn’t have bought it and would have stepped up to a different one.
Cabella's out here in Arizona is selling the LCP Max for just $100 more, it's got 10 and 12 round magazines, a better trigger, less recoil, and real sights, including tritium front night sight.

I have owned the original LCP, LCP II and now the Max, the Max is light years ahead of the previous two!

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cabella's out here in Arizona is selling the LCP Max for just $100 more, it's got 10 and 12 round magazines, a better trigger, less recoil, and real sights, including tritium front night sight.

I have owned the original LCP, LCP II and now the Max, the Max is light years ahead of the previous two!

View attachment 157830
Yeah those seem nice. I wasn’t ready for a $400 purchase. That’s what the Max goes for at my local gun stores. Driving to bass pro 45 minutes away negates the savings of $30, assuming it’s in stock. Also, I wanted to see what the reviews were for Max’s over time. But, if I decide I like the pocket .380 world, and caliber, I may update to a better one.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yeah those seem nice. I wasn’t ready for a $400 purchase. That’s what the Max goes for at my local gun stores. Driving to bass pro 45 minutes away negates the savings of $30, assuming it’s in stock. Also, I wanted to see what the reviews were for Max’s over time. But, if I decide I like the pocket .380 world, and caliber, I may update to a better one.
I paid $499 for mine shipped from "Bud's" Gun Shop, the gun had already shipped and I couldn't cancel the order when I found Cabella's was selling them for $379

Believe me, you are not going to like the recoil on your pistol, nor the LCP II both are punishing unless you throw a Houge Grip sleeve on them. The recoil on the Max is a breeze due to the wider grip!

·
Registered
732 Posts
I bought my LCP when they 1st came out. Very difficult to find & impossible to find .380 ammo. I had to settle for gun show reloads. I was scared that I might be shooting "Grandad's Special Recipe" loads! Anyway, my LCP did have to make a return trip to Ruger AZ (I think they're made in NC now). It had a peculiar habit of locking back the slide - without the slide lock engaged! Not a great feature for a self defense gun, and as you know, it is not made to lock back on the last round. It came back with the heavily polished feed ramp you see in the picture, even though I had no feeding complaints.

As for the holster, I bought a soft one at a gun show. It's ambidextrous for both belt loop or metal clasp. It fits snug but not tight, so the strap is optional as well. It also has a carrier for a spare magazine, but I don't kid myself that I'll be able to load another magazine in a panic self defense situation. I'm down to my last unopened box of .380 Remington JHP's, plus a couple mags worth. As Chazman said, the recoil is punishing due to the low mass of the gun. I really don't enjoy shooting it, but I'm proficient with it now.

I've put about 1000 rounds through it, so I'm comfortable shooting it.
Believe me, you are not going to like the recoil on your pistol, nor the LCP II both are punishing unless you throw a Houge Grip sleeve on them. The recoil on the Max is a breeze due to the wider grip!
Input device Gadget Peripheral Video game accessory Electronic device
Carton Font Box Packaging and labeling Plastic
Hood Grille Automotive tire Automotive exterior Automotive design

·
Registered
103 Posts
The Hogue grip adds substantially to the thickness of the gun. Let me humbly suggest using a bike glove for range duty; it really softens the rap.
If, God forbid, you actually have to use the gun on the street, a couple shots won't kill you, and the gun stays small and flat. You can walk around around wearing one bike glove, but folks will look at you funny. ;)
Again, it ain't a range gun. Shoot it for familiarization, and now and again to stay competent.
Moon

1 - 20 of 76 Posts