Ruger Forum banner
21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The Hogue grip adds substantially to the thickness of the gun. Let me humbly suggest using a bike glove for range duty; it really softens the rap.
If, God forbid, you actually have to use the gun on the street, a couple shots won't kill you, and the gun stays small and flat. You can walk around around wearing one bike glove, but folks will look at you funny. ;)
Again, it ain't a range gun. Shoot it for familiarization, and now and again to stay competent.
Moon
Right, it can’t be much worse than my s&w 642 with any kind of reasonable power .38 load. Probably less than the +p loads.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I paid $499 for mine shipped from "Bud's" Gun Shop, the gun had already shipped and I couldn't cancel the order when I found Cabella's was selling them for $379
Ouch! I snagged mine on launch day at the LGS for $389. Very surprised how fast they showed up at Academy, Cabela's, and Bass Pro. I figured that I better buy it the day I saw it, otherwise I might not see another one for 6 months. I was wrong on that one!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I got the Hogue Grip but found it thicker than I like for pocket carry. Next I tried the Pachmayr which is smaller but still helps tame the snappy recoil. I like it much better. Trigger Air gun Line Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Good feedback. Yes, I agree about pocket holster. It came with one from Ruger. I also want to get a really simple iwb holster for it.

One bummer is there is only one mag in the box
Relentless Tactical is a great source for quality holsters. Got a comfortable leather one for my LCP there.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Great buy! I favor the original LCP for the longer double-action trigger pull. It is much safer as a pocket gun (with Sticky holster), IMHO, than the LCP II & Max which have the tab doohickey in the trigger, a la Glock. I'm very glad Ruger keeps producing the original as I'm looking to pick up a couple more before they go out of production. I had a Keltec P3AT which was basically the same, but the wife stole it from me.

Grip the gun firm & it's not so bad to shoot. Not meant to be a box-of-shells range gun anyway. Put a 100 rounds through it to break it in & then clean it & carry it. It's perfect for that. (Skip the extended magazines & grip sleeves. Not desireable or needed.)

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Relentless Tactical is a great source for quality holsters. Got a comfortable leather one for my LCP there.
Thanks for the link. I’ll check out.

Can folks speak to the ye olde “use fmj for small calibers including .380 because most HP’s won’t both expand and penetrate?” It seems a few do, including possibly Critical Defense. But I watched a .380 Gold Dot ballistics test where it expanded and only went 9 inches.

·
Registered
121 Posts
My wife and I each have the LCP 2 with the Hogue grips on them and pocket carry in a DeSantis super fly holster. We carry in the jean front pocket and when you draw the gun it comes out and the holster stays in your pocket. I also have a leather Tagua OWB thumb break Holster that I use once in a while.

·
Registered
582 Posts

Can folks speak to the ye olde “use fmj for small calibers including .380 because most HP’s won’t both expand and penetrate?” It seems a few do, including possibly Critical Defense. But I watched a .380 Gold Dot ballistics test where it expanded and only went 9 inches.
XTP bullets do well in these short barrels for some expansion and good penetration, Precision One XTP performed best in one independent test using the FBI standard. If using an FMJ, a flat point would be better for damage, or you could use the Phillips screwdriver tips like the Extreme Penetrator or Extreme Defender that seem to do fairly well. An FMJ round nose would be last on my list unless nothing else would feed.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts

If you can find it... ARX Ammo or a comparable one is perfect for a short barreled like the LCP. Read about it in the link.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I bought my LCP when they first came out and it does the job it is suppose to do. I pocket carry it in a sticky holster but I don't like to shoot it much. I find it very snappy and not that much fun, but I do shoot it and I can hit the target. I don't shoot it much over 10 yards. I carry some self defense hollow points. A lot of folks talk down the 380 but they forget it is still a 9mm. it is just a 9mm short.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I paid $499 for mine shipped from "Bud's" Gun Shop, the gun had already shipped and I couldn't cancel the order when I found Cabella's was selling them for $379
I just picked up a couple of boxes of ARX for $17. a box.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I bought my LCP when they first came out and it does the job it is suppose to do. I pocket carry it in a sticky holster but I don't like to shoot it much. I find it very snappy and not that much fun, but I do shoot it and I can hit the target. I don't shoot it much over 10 yards. I carry some self defense hollow points. A lot of folks talk down the 380 but they forget it is still a 9mm. it is just a 9mm short.
Sounds about right.

I pocket carried it to the grocery store tonight, with a pocket holster. Great for discrete carry due to size, exactly what I needed. Let’s be real, unless it’s winter with big jackets, even many sub compacts and especially compact pistols are not that small or light. I can fit a snubby or sub compact 9mm in pants or shorts pocket, but it’s a full pocket with a large bulge. IWB isn’t very comfortable. OWB obviously is much more comfortable for larger pistols but that’s not practical or even legal in many contexts.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Does it actually perform?
Yes it does. It was actually developed for short barreled guns. That 56 grain bullet is barrier blind in clothing, does not expand and gets it's performance via hydraulic cavitation via the flutes. It creates a wound channel comparable to that of a JHP that is nearly twice its weight. It's lighter weight gives it increased velocity to penetrate to depths where it can do damage to major organs. There are many videos out that show its capabilities. Paul Harrell did one on a meat target that is worth watching. A JHP works in the same fashion but needs expansion to perform its hydraulic cavitation. The problem is the JHP doesn't work up enough velocity from a short barrel to effectively and consistently get that expansion.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Been using XTPs in all the .380s; they feed and have a reasaonable reputation for for performance.
Took the LCP for my morning dog-walk; the small/flat/light thing is hard to beat.
Moon

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I ordered last night two factory Ruger 7 round extended mags. Almost bought hogue grips.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Cabella's out here in Arizona is selling the LCP Max for just $100 more, it's got 10 and 12 round magazines, a better trigger, less recoil, and real sights, including tritium front night sight.

I have owned the original LCP, LCP II and now the Max, the Max is light years ahead of the previous two!

View attachment 157830
which laser did you get? I was thinking of the one that goes on when you pull it out of the holster not the veridian one

·
Registered
103 Posts
The all time prize for miserable, hard kicking is my 340 with magnums; it's a last ditch GTFOM for bears when hiking. It's hard to say what might hurt most; the gun's recoil or the bear's bite. ;)
Oddly, the 365 is really pleasant to shoot, but it is a bunch bigger than the LCP.
As always, the first rule of gunfighting is 'have a gun', even a little one.
Moon

21 - 40 of 76 Posts