Ruger Forum banner
41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
The all time prize for miserable, hard kicking is my 340 with magnums; it's a last ditch GTFOM for bears when hiking. It's hard to say what might hurt most; the gun's recoil or the bear's bite. ;)
Oddly, the 365 is really pleasant to shoot, but it is a bunch bigger than the LCP.
As always, the first rule of gunfighting is 'have a gun', even a little one.
Moon
That’s what I’m saying. I doubt the .380 lcp, which I’m taking to the range tonight, is worse than my 642 with any kind of medium to stout .38 special round.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
How well do they mitigate recoil and improve grip? They are about $13 on the Hogue site.
There's a bit of palm swell that allows for a better grip. Cushioned along the back-strap that contributes to recoil mitigation. It's a two fingered grip for sure so you want as much purchase as you can get...but that's the trade-off for concealability.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
There's a bit of palm swell that allows for a better grip. Cushioned along the back-strap that contributes to recoil mitigation. It's a two fingered grip for sure so you want as much purchase as you can get...but that's the trade-off for concealability.
I’ll probably buy one. I’ve seen hogue grips help on other guns.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
I’ll probably buy one. I’ve seen hogue grips help on other guns.
I have Hogue Handalls on my carry pistols with the exception of my HK P30SK (that's a totally different grip experience). I find the Handall increases the girth a little making the firearm fit my larger hands better. Plus it takes down some of the agressive grip texture on my Sig and Shield. The additional recoil mitigation is a bonus.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 · (Edited)
I have Hogue Handalls on my carry pistols with the exception of my HK P30SK (that's a totally different grip experience). I find the Handall increases the girth a little making the firearm fit my larger hands better. Plus it takes down some of the agressive grip texture on my Sig and Shield. The additional recoil mitigation is a bonus.
At my LGS/range tonight they had Lcp mags and the Hogue Handall grip. I bought both. Then I got a little Uncle Mike’s IWB Lcp holster. Fits great. I went for a walk after with the Lcp IWB. Worked perfectly.

At the range I took it for a spin, shooting about 60 fmj. Zero malfunctions. This was my first micro .380 firing ever. 5 yards. The target in pic is retracted back almost to the stall.

First couple mags. Honestly, it was better than my first foray with a snubbie. Took a mag or two to get used to size, sights, grip, etc.

The recoil wasn’t that bad. Based on people’s posts I expected some horrendous recoil. My 642 S&W is much more snappy with a lot of .38 special rounds.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I paid $499 for mine shipped from "Bud's" Gun Shop, the gun had already shipped and I couldn't cancel the order when I found Cabella's was selling them for $379

Believe me, you are not going to like the recoil on your pistol, nor the LCP II both are punishing unless you throw a Houge Grip sleeve on them. The recoil on the Max is a breeze due to the wider grip!
Honestly, it wasn’t that bad. It had some snap but not horrible. I did buy a hogue grip which I haven’t put on though.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I load 'full charge' wadcutters that are the equivalent of the old 148 RNL load; even in the 340, they aren't bad to shoot.
But point taken; there is no free lunch with really light pistols. Ol' Sir Isaac never takes a day off!
Moon

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
At my LGS/range tonight they had Lcp mags and the Hogue Handall grip. I bought both. Then I got a little Uncle Mike’s IWB Lcp holster. Fits great. I went for a walk after with the Lcp IWB. Worked perfectly.

At the range I took it for a spin, shooting about 60 fmj. Zero malfunctions. This was my first micro .380 firing ever. 5 yards.
View attachment 157881
First couple mags. Honestly, it was better than my first foray with a snubbie. Took a mag or two to get used to size, sights, grip, etc.

The recoil wasn’t that bad. Based on people’s posts I expected some horrendous recoil. My 642 S&W is much more snappy with a lot of .38 special rounds.
Great shooting for the first time running it. The Hogue grip will give you an even better purchase.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I load 'full charge' wadcutters that are the equivalent of the old 148 RNL load; even in the 340, they aren't bad to shoot.
But point taken; there is no free lunch with really light pistols. Ol' Sir Isaac never takes a day off!
Moon
Right, I have some wadcutters I cut my teeth on. It helped me acclimate to #SnubbyLife.

Shooting Buffalo Bore +P .38 special out of that snubby makes the .380 seem like a pellet gun. I’d actually say the snap of the LCP was about like low powered wadcutter target loads.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
IMHO, the grips are nice to add, but they grip your pocket or the pocket sleeve like you are using and tries to hang on when drawing it out. I left mine bone stock. My sister in law has in now and loves it. I bought mine when they first came out. Very reliable.

·
Registered
103 Posts
IMHO, the grips are nice to add, but they grip your pocket or the pocket sleeve like you are using and tries to hang on when drawing it out...
I'll make another pitch for using a bike glove for range duty, and I use one for anything that kicks, that 340 (with magnums) included.
Turning a really tiny gun into a bigger gun really isn't a solution. :)
BTW, those 'full charge' wadcutters (they are in the 750'sec range, unlike 600'sec target wadcutters) actually make a tolerable defense round, tho' you have to load them yourself.
Moon

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 · (Edited)
I'll make another pitch for using a bike glove for range duty, and I use one for anything that kicks, that 340 (with magnums) included.
Turning a really tiny gun into a bigger gun really isn't a solution. :)
BTW, those 'full charge' wadcutters (they are in the 750'sec range, unlike 600'sec target wadcutters) actually make a tolerable defense round, tho' you have to load them yourself.
Moon
Or you can get some full power Buffalo Bore hardcast wadcutters 😉. And it’s not even their +p stuff!

150 grain, 850 FPS.

They actually make some serious +p, soft lead 158 grain semi wadcutter HP’s aka a supercharged FBI load. I have some. Crazy stuff.

What do people think of their .380 hard cast? Ammo quest did a test where it penetrated like 36 inches of gel, ha!

Their .380 JHP looks legit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Having had all three, I frankly rate the original as more reliable by a nose. My II suffered a dead trigger, and the Max had some defense rounds it didn't like. The LCPs always ran, even with a fair amount of shooting, mine and some friends.
Doesn't mean I wouldn't trust the newer versions, but I think there may be a reason Ruger keeps making the original.
I snagged a lightly used LCP from a buddy for a C-note.
BTW, still counsel a pocket holster, especially the kydex ones...the padded ones are thicker. It will smooth and hide the gun's shape, and it will present the grip to your hand, rather than have it turn upside down. And it is safer to have the trigger covered.
Moon
Cary mine at the 3:30 position with a Clip it. Goes IWB been carrying for the several years now. Never had a FTF/FTE. Carry mine with Cor Bon, nasty little buggers with a Big HP. Runs @ 1050.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 · (Edited)
Cary mine at the 3:30 position with a Clip it. Goes IWB been carrying for the several years now. Never had a FTF/FTE. Carry mine with Cor Bon, nasty little buggers with a Big HP. Runs @ 1050.
An LCP? I bought a little Uncle Mikes IWB holster and concealed carry has never been sweeter. I also have the Ruger pocket holster that came with it.

Regarding the Corbon, is that +p? I read the LCP isn’t +p rated.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
I love my LCP for pocket summer carry. I installed the Hogue grip and a custom trigger. I use a kydex holster. I find the LCP to be extremely accurate.
Any kydex holster recommendations?

I got the Hogue grip like yours and put it on my LCP. I also got in the mail two extended 7 round mags. Together, there is a slight improvement in grip, but I haven’t had a chance for a second range trip to test them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Make sure and use only brass cased ammo. Absolutely no steel cases. It will destroy the extractor.
You bought it for a pocket gun. Keep it as it is. I have micro 9mm's and other supposed carry guns but this one is the only one I carry anymore. If I could find something smaller I would take a serious look at it.

41 - 60 of 76 Posts