Ruger Forum banner
61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Make sure and use only brass cased ammo. Absolutely no steel cases. It will destroy the extractor.
You bought it for a pocket gun. Keep it as it is. I have micro 9mm's and other supposed carry guns but this one is the only one I carry anymore. If I could find something smaller I would take a serious look at it.
Yeah, frankly even subcompact 9 mm (shields) and snubbies are too big or barely manageable during summer or limited concealment situations. Both are still tight with IWB. Both can be pocket carried but it is a full pocket with bulge.

I think an LCP size gun is important for summer carry or tight fitting clothes.

·
Registered
36 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Yeah, frankly even subcompact 9 mm (shields) and snubbies are too big or barely manageable during summer or limited concealment situations. Both are still tight with IWB. Both can be pocket carried but it is a full pocket with bulge.

I think an LCP size gun is important for summer carry or tight fitting clothes.
Agree. I have both the Shield 9 and the M&P380 and the Shield is strictly an IWB gun .Just too large
The 380 goes anywhere and everywhere. I have a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster that works very well.

Reactions: MadViking

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Agree. I have both the Shield 9 and the M&P380 and the Shield is strictly an IWB gun .Just too large
View attachment 158052 The 380 goes anywhere and everywhere. I have a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster that works very well.
I was torn between the Bodyguard and LCP. I really like the S&W M&P line. I have a Shield 9 too. Totally a fan.

I didnt get the Bodyguard this time because at my LGS’ they are going for $400+ right now. How do you like it?

·
Registered
982 Posts
I was torn between the Bodyguard and LCP. I really like the S&W M&P line. I have a Shield 9 too. Totally a fan.

I didnt get the Bodyguard this time because at my LGS’ they are going for $400+ right now. How do you like it?
I like it for what it is...a cheap pocket pistol that works. I've fired about 500 rounds through it trouble free as far as i can recall.
I got mine pre covid madness for $275. For the Shield I paid $460. What really matters is if it is trouble free,keep the LCP(y)

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
At my LGS/range tonight they had Lcp mags and the Hogue Handall grip. I bought both. Then I got a little Uncle Mike’s IWB Lcp holster. Fits great. I went for a walk after with the Lcp IWB. Worked perfectly.

At the range I took it for a spin, shooting about 60 fmj. Zero malfunctions. This was my first micro .380 firing ever. 5 yards. The target in pic is retracted back almost to the stall.
View attachment 157881
First couple mags. Honestly, it was better than my first foray with a snubbie. Took a mag or two to get used to size, sights, grip, etc.

The recoil wasn’t that bad. Based on people’s posts I expected some horrendous recoil. My 642 S&W is much more snappy with a lot of .38 special rounds.
I have the LCP Custom and was a little nervous about all the talk of the recoil in these small guns so I bought the Hogue grip. I shot it a few times, then put the Hogue on and shot it some more. Gave the Hogue to a friend because I liked the grip as it was. Same with my LC9s. I have S/M hands and the extra grip ruins the ergonomics for me. YMMV.

I use a Romora clip/no-clip holster. It can be use pocket, or snap on the clip and it's IWB. Lots of versatility.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hello folks, i found a decent deal at a gun show yesterday on a .380 LCP. $269 new. It’s more at my local gun shops. I’ve been eyeing various pocket sized/micro guns for a while due to summer CCW desires and needs, such as hot weather, shorts, and tshirts. Any suggestions on magazines, ammo selection, grips etc? I read hogue grips may be good. There may be an extended mag out there?

At the gun show I bought 150 rounds of PMC Fmj and 20 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense. I’ve heard the latter is good.
View attachment 157825
As far as magazines go, the only ones I’ve ever found for my LCP are the expensive Ruger factory mags.

·
Registered
64 Posts
As far as magazines go, the only ones I’ve ever found for my LCP are the expensive Ruger factory mags.
I carried my original .380 LCP for a couple of years. I kept it loaded with ARX ammo and carried it in my front pocket it a DeSantis Nemisis holster. It carried nicely but the double action only trigger pull was just awful ! But then I discovered the Sig P938 9mm. and for the last three years the LCP sits in the safe. Same front pocket concealability, same recoil, single action trigger but in 9mm. I pocket carry it almost every day whether I wear jeans or shorts and nobody has ever told me they could tell I was “carrying”.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Interesting. I bought a extra 6 rounder, and then ordered two 7 round Ruger Factor mags. Certainly weren't cheap.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
I carried my original .380 LCP for a couple of years. I kept it loaded with ARX ammo and carried it in my front pocket it a DeSantis Nemisis holster. It carried nicely but the double action only trigger pull was just awful ! But then I discovered the Sig P938 9mm. and for the last three years the LCP sits in the safe. Same front pocket concealability, same recoil, single action trigger but in 9mm. I pocket carry it almost every day whether I wear jeans or shorts and nobody has ever told me they could tell I was “carrying”.
The trigger isn't that great. True.

The p938 I have no doubt is a better gun. However, it is larger, and costs over double the price of the LCP original, or +200 a LCP Max.

There are a lot of guns I want that are $500 +.

Sig Sauer P938 Nitron vs Ruger LCP II size comparison | Handgun Hero

NEW SIG SAUER P938 NITRON MICRO 9MM 3" 7+1 BLACK RUBBER GRIPS 798681504114 - Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com : 905348370

·
Registered
64 Posts
The trigger isn't that great. True.

The p938 I have no doubt is a better gun. However, it is larger, and costs over double the price of the LCP original, or +200 a LCP Max.

There are a lot of guns I want that are $500 +.

Sig Sauer P938 Nitron vs Ruger LCP II size comparison | Handgun Hero

NEW SIG SAUER P938 NITRON MICRO 9MM 3" 7+1 BLACK RUBBER GRIPS 798681504114 - Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com : 905348370
It’s true that it does cost more, but the difference in size is barely noticeable. I changed out those fat rubber grips for VZGrips. I carry this one in a galco pocket holster and it is smaller( over all) than the LCP in the DeSantis. And the ammo options are SO much better. Just sayin’.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
It’s true that it does cost more, but the difference in size is barely noticeable. I changed out those fat rubber grips for VZGrips. I carry this one in a galco pocket holster and it is smaller( over all) than the LCP in the DeSantis. And the ammo options are SO much better. Just sayin’.
Yeah, a 9mm that small could be nice. My j frame .38 fits that role somewhat, probably about the same size.

Regarding price, that’s one reason Ruger is nice: decent quality combined with in most cases, affordable prices. Just look at their 9MM compacts, they are way cheaper than current Glocks, Sigs, S&W etc. I will say though that I think all of the latter are better quality than let’s say the EC9s, LC9s, etc

·
Registered
32 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with these:

WOLFF RUGER® LCP® RECOIL SPRINGS | Brownells

They are said to reduce the recoil (which for me isn't that bad) and make it more shootable.
I have (or should I say "had"). I've had two LCP 380's, first in 2009, the original version; and second in 2016, the Custom version. Both guns I'd installed 13 lb Wolff recoil springs on them. When LCP first came out it had something like 9 lb recoil springs. People were saying it was too weak, so when Wolff came out with their version, I immediately changed mine. I can't really tell Wolff springs had any effect on the recoil. I actually enjoyed the recoil, it was the muzzle flip caused me to miss when I tried to shoot fast, the main reason I ended up selling both of them. The one noticeable difference for changing the springs is that: it makes the slide a lot harder to cycle manually.

I'm on my 3rd LCP now: an LCP II in 22LR. I can hit much better with this one, so I'll most likely keep this... :)

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Sadly, I sold the LCP tonight after putting almost 300 rounds through it to get through any break-in.

The first 50 rounds it had no failures, and it went downhill from there :(. Maybe I got a lemon, but no matter whether I cleaned it (Did so I think 4 times in those 275 odd rounds), or the FMJs I used, it had failures to eject. This last 50 rounds, I had failures to eject every single mag, and at least two mags two failures to eject. Because I'm moving in two weeks, and didn't like it all that much (it wasn't some long held goal nor one of my nicer firearms), I didn't have the energy to send it in to Ruger. Plus, I didn't know when it would come back and I'm moving to the next door county.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts