Ruger Forum banner

a airgun counts as a rifle right?

2K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  bwinters 
#1 ·
my parents found a airgun (which they hid from me a long time ago) that was given to them by my dad's friend. it is a 397-pa. I think my parents regret not selling it as I am now shooting every can that goes in the recycling bin XD.

#3 ·
An airgun helps with the fundamentals like sight alignment, breathing control, sight picture, etc. Is it classified as a rifle by the ATF no you can buy them mail order without an FFL. Are there state regulations concerning them? It is likely in some states but that I am not sure. Is it fun to shoot like a rifle, absolutely and cheaper as well.

#4 ·
No federal laws or regulations on air rifles, and I think if there are even any state laws, they are very few and far between.

There are certainly more likely to be local laws. For example I believe a couple of cities in NJ and NewYork NY prohibit them as they classify them as firearms. And VA case law treats them as firearms if used in a criminal activity (e.g. if you rob a gas station in VA with an air gun, it will be treated the same as if you had used a firearm). And many municipalities prohibit the discharge of air guns outside. So check your local ordinances as those will vary within a state and across the country.

#6 ·
I think in my you are OK, but just for info of all, in Illinois, you must have a firearm owners ID to by, sell or transfer a air rifle that develops more than I think 800 fps, or to buy pellets or BBS. You must be over 21 to purchase anything. Its sad, I know, but you might "shoot your eye out kid.....".

#8 ·
I was shooting my .22 air rifle on a 50 yard range. The guy next to me had a FN FS2000. I was getting nice small groups and he was not. When he left he pointed to my air rifle and said to his buddy that it was not a real gun.
I wouldn't call it a real gun either but I wouldn't say it in a demeaning way. I have one rifle and two pistols and like you say they are very accurate.

I treat mine like they are real guns. The same safety practices also apply to these "near guns". Comparing them to toy guns which does not shoot any projectile makes them real guns. Regardless of what we call them they are fun to shoot and can cause injury.

#9 · (Edited)
I was shooting my .22 air rifle on a 50 yard range. The guy next to me had a FN FS2000. I was getting nice small groups and he was not. When he left he pointed to my air rifle and said to his buddy that it was not a real gun.
Not a real gun, my #%&

If you see this character, again, tell him the most accurate and the most technologically advanced rifles in the world are high grade airguns used for Olympic match competitions (and they have a price tag to match). They make his FN FS2000 look crude, by comparison. In Europe, where shooting is very restricted, air rifle shooting is extremely popular and highly developed as a sport.

Then there is a natter of shooting technique. Since pellets travel at a slower velocity, follow through and good shooting technique is much more critical with an air rifle or pistol. I know several shooters - some of the best I've ever seen - that practice religiously with an air gun to maintain their shooting form with their centerfire rifles and pistols for this very reason. If you can shoot an air rifle, well, you can shoot any rifle, well.

#10 ·
Because of the price of ammo I shoot mostly 22's nowdays. Some people act like these aren't real guns either. I don't put too much stock into what some people say. Being artillery in the Army to me anyting less than an eight inch cannon isn't a gun. :)

But for the purposes of owning a firearm I wouldn't want an air rifle/pistol to be called a gun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.