Ruger Forum banner

A bad idea

2K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  laidlerj 
#1 ·
I had a 686 S&W similar to the one in the post below.
I was into reloading at the time.
A friend of mine owned a service station.
He gave me the old tire weights that were the normal for that time.
I would melt them down and pour the lead into biscuits.
Now to anyone that is looking for cheap lead that would seem to be a great idea.
However; I would never do that again.
What one would never notice is that the tire weight lead is full of grit.
I had a bottom pour pot and guess where the grit went!
Yep right to the bottom.
No big deal! Don't be too sure.
One day I was cleaning my 686 and noticed the forcing cone had scratches in it.
For the sake of me I could not figure it out.
Well my buddy that reloads told me the answer.
Grit in my lead.
So! Beware reloaders. Do not uses a bottom feed pot with wheel weight lead.
Matter of fact I would not use wheel weight lead at all.

See less See more
#3 ·
A better idea is when you are making ingots ... flux the melting pot a few times.
Fluxing will bring all the trash to the top . I find it unusual that your grit sunk to the bottom , usually , with a flux , all trash floats . .
When casting wheel weights into small ingots I flux 3 times with Wood shavings and a commercial flux .
Stirring and skimming to remove impurities . Then after putting ingots in castin pot I flux that melt with cedar wood shavings (from pencil sharpener) beeswax and commerical flux ...two or three times , stirring and skimming of the trash .
I will gladly take any wheel weight lead you care to give me ... I know what to do with it .
Gary

#6 ·
I have a bottom pour pot and a cast iron lead pot. I process lead in the cast iron and then cast out of the bottom pour. As has been stated above, lead needs to be melted, fluxed, skimmed, to clean it prior to being cast into bullets. Honestly, i treat all lead as dirty lead just as I process virgin brass as I would fired brass. But current wheel weights have no/little lead anymore.

#9 ·
I'm not setup to reload yet. But I want to and read what I can. But have tons to learn. I did however see a neat setup that may help yall also. Jerry Miculek has one and saw him explain it once on YouTube. But he turned a small truck trailer into a nice bullet trap. With that he catches all his practice rounds etc and is able to recoup it all.. and alot cleaner. For someone who shoots alot and reloads I'd say it worth checking out. I plan to make a shooting desk/table one day that has a brass catcher beside it for all my brass too when I do get set up. When paired up I'd say it would reduce materials alot and keep dirt away to begin with too. But the trap was pretty impressive

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

#11 ·
I had for years been enthuised with casting.
I lived close to a machine shop that cast brass and alunimum.
A friend who lived in Asheville NC helped me develope a mold to cast Pewter.
He had CNC experience.
It took two years to perfect the molds.
I was successful in that endeavor and managed to cast 630 images of the coffee pot that is the symbol for Old Salem.
Well, by now it is obvious that you are aware that I was not a seasoned bullet caster, as I failed to seek advice.
Hense the mistakes a novis can make.😕
I had the equipment to cast but after the failure of the bullet try out, I sold it to another novis.
I can say I did enjoy the ride though and made some good looking bullets.
Of course my 686 did not go along with it.

#12 ·
My problem is finding time to cast. I have 5 gallon buckets full of wheel weights Just waiting to be melted. Who wants to come over and help? I have a shooting range in my backyard. We can shoot cast shoot cast shoot cast all day if you like. Heck bring your molds and I will share some lead. Any takers in sw Ohio LOL.

#13 ·
Every thing gets fluxed twice to make ingots,then a few 45lc bullets. I'll test the bullet hardness(Saeco) and mark the ingots from my 22 lb pot. When I cast the lead is fluxed again. My bullets come out bright and fully cast. I'll also use wood chips a wax as my fluxing media.

#16 ·
Antimony, selenium and tin (among other metals and metalloids) are soluble in lead, so they won’t separate out during melting (in fact, the heat makes them more soluble).

#15 ·
If we could skim only the dross, it should contain only the impurities and the junk we're trying to remove. The components of the alloy don't gravity separate, nor heat separate, but like the rest of the alloy, they do oxidize and float to the top. This is the scum that is seen on the top of the molten alloy. Fluxing helps to return the oxides into the alloy.
A more complete explanation can be found here:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.