Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well in light of my posting in the coffee shop this morning about the black bear wondering about my neighborhood, I have decided to start carrying my .44 Taurus 44C when we go out for our walks.

As I told my son, the bear spray is a must, but does he carry it? Nooooo, well last night was a wake up call, that ol dad is right, and if he had needed it... ah yes a black bear within 30 feet qualifies for getting the bear spray out and ready should the bear turn and charge, OR if you feel threatend by the bears presents to get them to move on. I know a 12 ga would have been my weapon of choice to have in my hands should I have been outside.

But we can not walk around daily with a 12 ga strapped over our shoulder waiting for mr bear to be looking for food, as they are right now. They are looking for anything from apples in trees that have not been harvested to dog food left on your porch for fido or fi fi or even cat food to bird seed.

But my .44 mag is much more comforting to have with me, it just weighs more than my S&W .38 spl right now. :D

·
Premium Member
2,893 Posts
I believe that 44 would be much more comforting that the .38. The days of bears being more afraid of you than you are of them seems to be gone. Too much encroachment on their habitat and too many forest fires. Tread carefully JB.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Some is better than none...more is better...money, guns, wom...no, skip that last... more is better!!!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
quote:Originally posted by David the Gnome

What's ammo run for the .44 mag? I bet that gun is quite a handful.
I've got it loaded with 240-gr JSP that is a nice 1,000 fps. I had thought about using the ol 300-gr SHC loads that I use for the woods but I believe the 240-gr loads will work just fine... if I had a SWC hard cast it would be much better. :D

·
Banned
282 Posts
"As I told my son, the bear spray is a must, but does he carry it? Nooooo,"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In light of the rising frequency on human/grizzly bear conflicts, the Alaska Department of Fish and Game is advising tourists, hikers, and fishermen to take extra precautions and keep alert for bears while traveling this summer.

We advise that people wear noisy little bells on their clothing so as not to startle bears that are not expecting them. We also advise everyone to carry pepper spray with them in case of an encounter with a grizzly.

It is also a good idea to watch out for fresh signs of bear activity. Outdoorsmen should recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear dung. Black bear dung is smaller and contains lots of berries and squirrel fur. Grizzly bear dung has little bells in it and smells like pepper.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Thankfully there are no bear in this part of Kentucky to worry about, unless you happen to go to the Louisville Zoo. [:p] We do have black bear in Eastern Kentucky however and if I lived there, bear spray and a capable revolver while out where an encounter is a possibility makes for sound advice. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.