Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a look at the Remington website today.I was shocked.They are marketing an AR platform rifle "tuned" for the hunter.Can you believe that? A big name American firearms manufacturer is taking a "black rifle" and customizing it for availability to the general public.In todays over the top, political correctness,form over substance,sheep are more important than sheepdogs society,this is pure heresy!!! Remington is not only providing one version of the R-15 VTR rifle,but THREE versions. How dare they!!! You can get the rifle with a 22" fluted barrel or a carbine with a 18" barrel or the same carbine with a collapsible/ adjustable stock.All versions come with camouflaged stocks,picatinny rail to mount your favorite style of optics,drilled and tapped forearm to add an accessory rail if you choose to.They come with a 5 round magazine for hunting but will accept any after market high capacity AR magazine.You have a choice of .223 remington or .204 ruger calibers.Geez,who do these guys think they are,Americans? Seriously folks,all sarcasm aside. The point of my post is not to trumpet a new product as the latest and greatest but to give credit to Remington for having the brass balls to basically tell the anti-assault rifle,anti-black rifle,anti-gun crowd to "go pack sand".Who knows if these rifles will be banned when the next Congress is elected,who knows if these rifles will make it in the targeted market.But I give Remington a big thumbs up for not waiting on the fence post to see which way the winds of political correctness and ignorance will go.I like their "Damn the torpedoes,full steam ahead!" attitude in bringing a legal product to a legitimate market.I believe the same can be said for Smith&Wesson and their M&P rifle.Kudos to both.OK,I'll get off the soapbox now!

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Now if ruger will just come out with a improved mini MKII to give the AR's a run for their money.

Remington is to be applauded for responding to market demand.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hear you,Deputy125. I just wish someone in Ruger's product development dept. would do the same.The Mini-14 has been around for over 30 years.That says something about its appeal and its reliability.And in all that time, the major gripe has been its mediocre accuracy and once the barrel heats up,what accuracy? This happens to my SS 182 series every time at the range.At 100 yards,firing a round every 3 seconds,the first 5 rounds will print 5-7 inches around POA off a sandbag rest sitting at a table. The second 5 rounds are in the 7-9 inch range with the group stringing downwards.The third 5 round group is about 10-12 inches heading south.The fourth 5 round group,if you can call it a group LOL,is embarrassingly off the paper.After a half hour cooling off period,it will pretty much do the same thing firing 20 rounds per minute.At least it's consistent! It doesn't matter if I use Black Hills remanufactured 52 gr. match hollowpoints or Winchester 62 gr.FMJ or American Eagle 55 gr.FMJ's.They're all about the same in performance from my particular rifle.I just have to accept the fact that the first 5 rounds will go to point of aim and then I have to aim progressively higher with each 5 round shot string after that.But you know what? I shouldn't have to. Deep down,I feel like I own a rifle that's not up to par.Not quite a lemon,but something that could be or should be better.I can't help but think that a simple fix would be for Ruger to have marketed the Mini-14/30 with a heavy barrel.Not a full blown bull barrel as on the Target model but something in between that would keep groups consistently under 3 inches at 100 yards all day with open sights.And if they wanted to appeal to a broader market,they could easily modify the action and magazine well to accept the AR style magazine.Remington did it with their LE pump action .223 cal. I believe it's the Model 7615.They modified an 870 pump action receiver to accept AR magazines.
It's not rocket science. Ruger could market 5 round mags for hunting,10 round mags for where there is a capacity limit, and 20 and 30 round mags where it's legal.Hell,they do it for their pistols.Why not for the Mini series? Their is nothing illegal in providing various capacity magazines.Every AR platform manufacturer does it.Basically I'm telling Ruger to get off their lazy asses,get their heads out of the sand, and get on with it.In this industry,everytime you compromise,you lose.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Hmmmm, the m-16/AR-15 makers orginally started off with a light profile barrel and then it seems overnite everyone went to the current "medium-heavy" barrel that seems to be standard issue now-a-days from all makers and also for our Military. Was this switch in barrel profiles to get or maintain accuracy?

Would a simple change in barrel profile by ruger going to a "medium" barrel drastically improve performance?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It seems that most rifles known for accuracy whether it be for long range varmint hunting, sniper/tactical duty,and target shooting use a heavier barrel.But not all use a bull barrel.Some are just thicker than your average sport/hunting rifle barrel.In hunting,barrel heat up isn't a big issue when firing one or two rounds.But carry weight seems to be a driving factor in todays rifles.So a lighter barrel would suffice with acceptable accuracy. But when it comes to short 16 to 18 inch long barrels,going to a heavier weight/slightly larger diameter barrel wouldn't add that much weight to the overall package.You're talking maybe 3/4 of a pound at the most.So a Mini 14 would be about 7 1/2 pounds. Still a lightweight carbine you can carry all day and maintain better and consistent accuracy. You're right deputy125 about the M-16 starting off with the lower profile barrel and then going to the heavier barrel.That modification improved barrel stiffness which improved accuracy. Ruger could easily produce a barrel that is about 1/8 inch thicker in diameter and it would be a more accurate barrel.They would only have to modify the gas block casting where it clamps to the barrel to make it a little thicker to make up for over boring the clamp to fit the larger barrel.Would it drastically improve accuracy? Not on the order of the Target Mini,which Ruger claims to be 1 MOA at 100 yards. But it should be able to get to 3 MOA instead of the real world 5-7 MOA if not worse and be more resistant to the group stringing south once the barrel heats up.You would have a lot of happy Mini-14 owners out there and the cost increase would be small.Heck,alot of Mini-14 owners are already spending hundreds of dollars on trigger jobs,bedding,stiffening struts,dampeners,etc.,etc.,etc.trying to get their Minis to shoot under 4 MOA.The Mini-14 is blessed with a durable and dependable trigger group,gas operating system,and stock.For Pete's sake Ruger,fix the damn barrel!!!

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
in the old days they used octagon barrel's to hold down on vibration because they didn't have good tempering in those days then they came up with the fluted barrel's. all of which are heavier than normal barrel's. Most long distance shooters from what I have seen have the heavier barrel's.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Yep ! The old man has an original "pencil barrel" and past 150 yards, it doesn't group worth a crap ! Where even my Colt with the M4 barrel will group well under an inch at over 300 yards.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts