Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the range today and put 300 rounds through my SR40c. I can only say, what a great pistol! After getting it home I stripped it down, including the Striker channel, and in less than 10 minutes the pistol was cleaned to gun store specifications. At the range the pistol was as accurate as my poor abilities (3 cups of coffee) allowed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Redleg I love my SR40c! Great shooter. My wife loves this gun too. How difficult is it to tear down the striker assembly? The manual doesn't list that as part of field stripping...I've looked it over, but not sure how to proceed?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Striker maintenance video greatly appreciated

TXRuger many thanks for posting that! I will do that on my SR40c tomorrow. Seems like Ruger would have included this in the owner's manual...pretty easy to do and obviously a good maintenance practice. Thanks again for sharing that video sir!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yep, it's very simple and easy. I took the striker assembly (of my SR9 and 9c) out to clean it and the firing channel to prevent light primer strikes after each range trip. BTW, I love the SR40c, too. I will get it soon.

Edit: The video was on YouTube that I linked to. You can also find other Ruger SR series videos on YouTube.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I went to the range today and shot my SR40c. First time I've really got to shoot it. Man , I can shoot it better than my SR40 fullsize!!! Awsome little gun. Love it. Good shooting everyone !!!

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
TXRuger many thanks for posting that! I will do that on my SR40c tomorrow. Seems like Ruger would have included this in the owner's manual...pretty easy to do and obviously a good maintenance practice. Thanks again for sharing that video sir!
I just checked S&W Manual for their M&P Series Pistols. They do not show how to clean the striker assemble/channel in their manual either.

Worse yet in my opinion, S&W doesn't provide a parts list or an exploded view.

People need to learn how to go beyond a field strip (which is named that way because it is what you do out in the "field" with minimal tools) OR get really friendly with a good gunsmith locally. Firearms get dirty in places where the minimal field strip does not apply.

It's sort of like a vehicle manual. It may tell about tire pressure, washer fluid, oil changes, etc. Most vehicle manuals don't even mention DIY spark plug maintenance anymore.

Update. Just checked Glock's website. Their "preventive maintenance" info is the same as S&W and Ruger. Field strip only,. no mention of strike cleaning. Ruger at least posts a video on how to do it.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I was really seriously wanting to buy the XDM 3.5 in 40 but kept stumbling on the price. I decided to go with the SR40C and am not disappointed. The trigger pull on the SR is much better than the XDM and groups very well. Really happy with the choice of the SR40C plus USA made and the cost was much less.:)

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I check the Striker channel almost every time I clean my SR40c. It does not seem to collect a lot of crud, but it is good to be sure.

It is a very simple process as the video shows. The SR40c is one of my very easiest pistols to strip and clean.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too went to the range today, and shot my new SR40c. Never shot a 40sw before. Was a bit apprehensive how it would shoot. I've had 3 9mm in the past and swear them off each time. I LIKE it. but have one complaint. It throws brass all over the place, so I am a bit anal about my brass but I DO LIKE how It shoots. I also got to shoot my new SR1911. Had a great day at the range, and now am off to clean everything up. J

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I find the 40 S&W to be a very controllable round. The first time I shot my SR40c I hit a Bull's Eye, which told me that this round is quite mellow. I like the SR40c so much that I am buying a second copy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts